P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 10-04-02, 08:17 PM   #1
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Arrow Another nasty Kazaa surprise revealed

The New.net software bundled lately with iMesh, BearShare, Kazaa, and Grokster was supposed to be 'just' run-of-the-mill spyware - but it has unfortunately turned out to be more than that. As ZDNet News reports:
Quote:
The software in question is designed recognize domain names hosted by New.net, and add a .new.net suffix, so that non-partner ISPs can direct them to the appropriate IP address (for example, book.shop would be modified to book.shop.new.net).

New.net CEO David Hernand told ZDNet Australia that such affiliate partners (=Kazaa and other FastTrack-based p2p clients) were paid to distribute software which would allow end users access to the New.net domains, and accounted for about half of its 100 million subscribers.
Connectivity problems after installing Kazaa? Read this:
Quote:
Concerns were raised by ISPs in Australia when their users began having difficulty accessing mail servers after inadvertently downloading the New.net software along with the P2P program Kazaa.

An ISP helpdesk employee claimed it was spending significant resources helping customers remove the New.net software. He alleged the software had been made deliberately difficult to remove, and included a flawed automatic update function.

Despite conceding that an earlier version of the software was subject to bugs which made it difficult to remove, New.net told ZDNet Australia the problem had been corrected in subsequent versions. The company also emphasizeded that it was in no way a deliberate feature of the software.
Here are New.net's own removal instructions that they were forced to publish as too many people started to have serious problems with their software.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 08:48 PM   #2
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Default Re: Another nasty Kazaa surprise revealed

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl
Here are New.net's own removal instructions that they were forced to publish as too many people started to have serious problems with their software.

- tg

We discussed that very thing about a month ago in Byte Bits during a diagnosis of start up issues micksie was having at that time (Selected start up - Please help) During said discussion LV15 came up with the best method I have seen for cleaning it up. His posts are towards the end of the thread...

Being a current iMesh user I had this one try and sneek by me... But Grokster should be listed as a Former Partner, they learned their lesson late last year and quit including it...
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 08:56 PM   #3
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

What does that mean adds a .new.net suffix to them? So?
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 08:56 PM   #4
goldie
yea, it's me.

Mad

These people are out of their ever freakin' minds!!!

- It ALL comes out in the wash doesn't it?!

I'm sure there's much more to come............
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 11:27 PM   #5
JackSpratts

i've got newdotnet in my startup sysconfing but i can't find it so far in the registry. still, i'd rather perform root canal on a gator than go thru those regedits. whoa.

"If you are unable to update the software then please follow the directions located below the update section:

http://new.chat.new.net/viewtopic.ph...1451&forum=8&6

Or you may call us directly at (818) 385-2000 or send us an e-mail at support@new.net."

hmmmn. gee gang i don't know, they're such swell folks what say we all chat 'em up and let them know just how we feel?

they're getting a call from a mr. spratts in the am. whooyeah.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 11:28 PM   #6
snowman

Default yup.

This whole concept of redirecting network connections has just got to be illegal in North America and Europe from the get go.

* In the long distance telco markets it is called slamming.

* In the surface mail market it would be called tampering with the mails.

* At in international border it would be called smuggling.

Just imagine if the idiot software was redirecting your e-mail to a spy POP/ SMTP server and taking a peek inside before forwarding it. Worse, adding a advertisement. These marketing guys should be rounded up and forced to face the music. Even the government does not have such powers without a court order.

This is simply unacceptable that somebody is redirecting URL or e-mail pop addresses.

Can't IE or Netscape or Outlook or Eudora prevent this?
Old 11-04-02, 12:50 AM   #7
BuzzB2K

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
i've got newdotnet in my startup sysconfing but i can't find it so far in the registry. still, i'd rather perform root canal on a gator than go thru those regedits. whoa.

they're getting a call from a mr. spratts in the am. whooyeah.

- js.
I can't recall the users name right now but it started with me trying to convince this misguided user (On the old Morph Board)that he did not get NewDotNet from installing Morpheus - At the time Grokster had just quit including it, but KaZaA may well have been adding it at the time, by the time we finnished a day or two (a week?) later most of the Regulars had added their voice to the discussion... he never would admit he might have been mistaken - even with about a dozen voices against his one...

Anyway I got off my point, he stated it would take hours to go through all those steps I said I could do it in 5 min...
took a little less actually...

But that was before LV15 posted his shorter method...
Old 11-04-02, 03:06 AM   #8
napho
Dawn's private genie

Even Bonzi Buddy is appalled by new.net.

WHO KNEW SPYWARE COULD BE THIS EVIL!
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-02, 01:09 PM   #9
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K
...he stated it would take hours to go through all those steps I said I could do it in 5 min...
took a little less actually...
then you're the yoda of reg cleaners buzz!

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-02, 02:23 PM   #10
thinker
Ex-Singular

Quote:
Originally posted by napho
Even Bonzi Buddy is appalled by new.net.

WHO KNEW SPYWARE COULD BE THIS EVIL!
LMAO. Nice...
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-02, 06:01 PM   #11
BuzzB2K

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts

then you're the yoda of reg cleaners buzz!

- js.
Speed reading helps... they go step by step so thoroughly that you can read several lines ahead at a time and anticipate where they are going...

But LV15's method is much quicker...
Old 11-04-02, 06:04 PM   #12
BuzzB2K

NewDotNet ? I'm outta here...
Old 12-04-02, 12:23 PM   #13
djakrse
Your friendly neighborhood jackass

hahaha

excellent usage of the bb! 2nd time ive noticed you use that. may i offer up:
(NU darker matte) and...
(no matte.. see next post to compare bg results)

Old 12-04-02, 12:30 PM   #14
djakrse
Your friendly neighborhood jackass

here's the one with lighter NU matte color:

and again the no matte for comparison:

just playin around, hope i didnt go overboard
Old 12-04-02, 02:05 PM   #15
Smoketoomuch
freak

Default Nostalgia

For Buzz - a little bit of nostalgia:

Display all headers
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 12:40:47 -0800
To:
friends@musiccity.com
Subject:
EMail from Smoketoomuch (bizony@hotmail.com)

========================================================
Original Message - "New.Net issue"
Posted by ConcernedUSER on Dec-22-01 at 01:22 PM
I am very upset with MusicCity and Morpheus, for two reasons, the first is becasue they put a program called New.Net into the Morpheus download which installs itself, without asking the user.
And they also forgot to mention to me that when Morpheus is removed from my system, then this program New.net implants itself into my system registry, and for some reason disables my internet connection.
For a week my business was put on hold while I waited for a tech to come to my house and charge me $80.00 to remove all these files from my computer.
I have tried to cantact MusicCity on several occasions, but i have yet to recieve a response, and this incident was over a month ago.
What I want to know is, is this New.Net program still a part of the morpheus download?
Ps. IMesh uses New.Net in their software, but they are nice enough to give the user the choice at the time of install.
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHO I CAN CONTACT AT MUSIC CITY TO ASK THEM TO IMPLEMENT A PROGRAM THAT WOULD ASK THE USER WHETHER OR NOT THEY WANT TO INSTALL NEW.NET.
Reply Number 1 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by BuzzB2K on Dec-22-01 at 02:25 PM
New.Net is installed with KaZaA. I's one of several Spyware/Adware programs installed. The last time I checked the only reference to New.Net in my registry was the search string I typed in to find if it was there.
Did you happen to install KaZaA at any time recently? Or maybe it was left over from IMesh?
Either way it WAS NOT INSTALLED with Morpheus!
(P.S. About the Tech - $80.00 for ten minutes work ain't bad!)
The truth is out there.
Buzz
Reply Number 2 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by ConcernedUSER on Dec-22-01 at 03:05 PM
LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-01 AT 03:11 PM (PST)
I know IT WAS INSTALLED WITH MORPHEUS, because I am not the only one with this problem, the tech said there are hundreds just in my area and he told me all of his customers said it happened after un-installing Morpheus.
And I dont even know what Kazza is, and I installed Imesh after I fixed my problem.
And as I already WROTE, IMESH gives you the option of installing New.Net, unlike Morpheus which hides it in the backround when you install.
Ps. It took the tech an hour to fix the problem, and I watched him go through my system registry and delete files. YOU CANNOT JUST RUN A SEARCH IN YOUR REGISTRY TO FIX THIS PROBLEM.
YOU SHOULD RESEARCH WHAT YOU PREACH!
Reply Number 3 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by metoo (Guest) on Dec-22-01 at 03:27 PM
you watched the tech...really? wow! well you must be an expert in pc's now.
you do not understand registries or how programs install well enough to contradict others.
"you downloaded it? did you download it? that's funny, considering it's not even possible" - nick burns, your companies computer guy
Reply Number 12 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by Smoketoomuch on Dec-22-01 at 08:52 PM
I ran a search of my registry for new.net, but found no reference. I tried to find some file related afterwards, with the same results. So I guess this issue is a hoax. I installed and reinstalled (because of the tabs bug) Morpheus, but found no trace of new.net
However, something raised my suspicions>
"I know IT WAS INSTALLED WITH MORPHEUS, because I am not the only one with this problem, the tech said there are hundreds just in my area and he told me all of his customers said it happened after un-installing Morpheus."
Hundreds just in your area installing Morpheus and finding out that it messes with your computer, so you had to pay 80 bucks for repairs... Hmmm. Must be a large area. And it MUST be Morpheus of course...
And not even New.net knows about their affiliation with Morpheus.
As it was stated before, they have a list:
"If you are unaware of how the New.net application was installed on your computer, we currently have agreements with the following companies to bundle our plug-in with their downloadable software:
>BearShare
>Webshots
>KaZaA
>Previously, we were bundled with the following software >companies:
>Go!Zilla
>iMesh
>Babylon
>Cydoor
>GDivx
Maybe its just my suspicious nature, but something is not right here - either new.net is lying and have secretly implemented their product in Morpheus, or the Tech is lying (hundreds of users installing morpheus, who all had to pay that 80 bucks) or you are lying - which I don't mean to imply that is deliberate or something, but you can see, all three claims cannot be true at the same time.
Reply Number 13 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by Smoketoomuch on Dec-22-01 at 09:02 PM
Your business was put on hold!!! Jesus God for a whole week!!! You mean your computer stopped working for a whole week after uninstalling Morpheus, and you could not attend to your business?
Another possibility: has anyone else access to your computer?
Reply Number 4 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by indiana_jones on Dec-22-01 at 03:32 PM
how can i find out, if this thing is installed
Reply Number 5 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by ConcernedUSER on Dec-22-01 at 04:55 PM
Unless Morpheus has stopped using this program in their software in the last 3 months, then I am sorry to say that you have this program installed, and I suggest that you do not Un-Install it unless you have a professional tech helping you, or you know how to remove New.Net from your system..
PS. AND Meeto, I do understand the system registry and how programs are installed, unfortunatley I didn't want to risk doing further damage to my system, and that is why I called a tech. But thanx for your concern.
Reply Number 6 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by BuzzB2K (Guest) on Dec-22-01 at 05:54 PM
This is a quote from the "New.Net Forum - New.net Customer Support Documents"
Registry Instructions for Newdotnet Removal
If you are unaware of how the New.net application was installed on your computer, we currently have agreements with the following companies to bundle our plug-in with their downloadable software:
BearShare
Webshots
KaZaA
Previously, we were bundled with the following software companies:
Go!Zilla
iMesh
Babylon
Cydoor
GDivx
If you did not actually visit our website, http://www.new.net and install our plug-in, one of these companies is the most likely source of the plug-in on your computer.
The actual forum can be found here:
Registry Instructions for Newdotnet Removal
http://new.chat.new.net/viewtopic.ph...030&forum=22&0
Buzz
Reply Number 7 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by ConcernedUSER on Dec-22-01 at 06:06 PM
I understand your point of view, but unfortunately the only program I have installed is Morpheus, so I think it is obvious to me what the source is.
PS. IMesh was installed after I removed New.Net
Thank you for that Information on removing New.net, I may need it for future refrence.
Reply Number 8 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by BuzzB2K on Dec-22-01 at 06:10 PM
My pleasure - I can see why it would take so long to remove...
The truth is out there.
Buzz
Reply Number 9 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by BuzzB2K on Dec-22-01 at 06:21 PM
I still think it took that "Tech" to long, I just went through each step and went through my registry in a little over 8min.
The truth is out there.
Buzz
Reply Number 10 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by JackSpratts (Guest) on Dec-22-01 at 07:03 PM
Thanks for the warnings and links. That reg removal's a bit dicey. I didn't have all the components in my registry to begin with. What about the programs own uninstall - does it work and also is this something Ad-aware is capable of removing?
- js.
Reply Number 11 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by BuzzB2K on Dec-22-01 at 07:07 PM
The instructions state that they are to be used when Add/Remove Programs doesn't work.
"If you choose to uninstall our software, then you may do so by selecting New.net Application through Add/Remove Programs. If the error messages persist and you are still unable to uninstall our plug-in then please follow the steps below...
Buzz
Reply Number 14 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by Smoketoomuch on Dec-22-01 at 09:11 PM
When did you install morpheus, anyway. You say that: "Unless Morpheus has stopped using this program in their software in the last 3 months..") The incident happened a month ago, that might mean that you installed Morpheus at least 3 months ago. And in three months, no other software was installed on your system, while browsing on the internet, clicking here and there, pressing the yes button occasionally...
Man, you are very persistent in trying to convince us that it can only be Morpheus the source of your ailment, while that's according to new.net itself is impossible...
Nice try, tough..
Reply Number 15 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by ConcernedUSER (Guest) on Dec-22-01 at 09:38 PM
Unlike yourself, I do not go around downloading software like it is going out of style.
And the only reason I dont trust Morpheus, is because not only do they implement this software in Morpheus but it is also put into Kazza without the permission of the user..
And if I am not mistaken, Music City is responsible for both Kazza and Morpheus, so if they would do it to Kazza users, I am sure they wouldnt hesitate to do it to morph users.
why dont they give the user the option of installing New.Net? IMESH has no problem giving us the option, but Music City seems to think they need to hide it in the software.
I HAVE REVIEWED BOTH THE AGREEMENT DOCS. FOR BOTH MORPH AND KAZZA, AND NEITHER MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT NEW.NET, WHY IS THAT?
Reply Number 16 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by Smoketoomuch on Dec-22-01 at 09:49 PM
Hmm. It seemed to me that you spoke about morpheus in the first place, even claimed that YOU HAVE INSTALLED MORPHEUS and no other, now you speak about KaZaa. It seems that my instinct was right. On one point at least you proved to be a liar.
But I see your point. MusicCity is the badguy now, you just couldn't make that point explicitly, could you? Might I ask why?
Reply Number 17 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by Smoketoomuch on Dec-22-01 at 09:57 PM
You are consistent in one thing though: you always mention IMESH as the positive example. Did they pay for it?
Reply Number 18 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by ConcernedUSER (Guest) on Dec-22-01 at 10:25 PM
You obviuosly live up to your name, I said I reasearched Kazza, I didnt say I downloaded it.
YOU SHOULD READ MY POST BEFORE YOU SMOKE YOUR NEXT JOINT!
And I believe I made my point quite well, unfortuanatley you couldn't comprehend a few simple paragraphs.
Maybe you could get someone to read this to you.
Reply Number 19 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by Psilaxs on Dec-22-01 at 10:50 PM
I uninstalled Before Uninstalling new.net/morpheus. HMMm ok well that asnwers that. You just RE-installed it on your computer
the last time you put that I-mesh piece of crap on your computer. I made the same mistake also. Messed up my computer to no end. And it is nigh time you at least listen to us MORPHEUS DOES NOT INSTALL SPYWARE EVER NEVER EVER NEVER NEVER EVER TIMES GOOGLEPLEX TO THE INFINITY. am i making my point or just being redundant? Either way . YOU ARE WRONG It was not good 'ol Morph that screwed your system registry. It was I mesh. And even with I-mesh/lime wire any Gnutella network even if you choose not to install that crap it still installes something akin to what you speak of. I know i recently tried Lime Wire 2.0 Nice features but java based interface sucks #####. Anyway I am sorry, dont mean to be rude, But you are 100% wrong. Morpheus uses no add on software. There exspenses are detered through advertising and business ventures/ backing ETC I do feel for you though. it always sucks when an "Unknown" program makes your sys go kerfucko
Again I cannot reiterate this enough. It wasnt Morpheus.
Best Regards.
Psi
Reply Number 20 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by Smoketoomuch on Dec-23-01 at 02:24 AM
khhmm. No need to make false assumptions, you are the one who contradicted himself several times. And ANYONE who read your paragraphs can plainly see that, even you if you take your time.
I don't say that you downloaded Kazaa. I say that there is a tendency of discrepancy in your rant. When more and more of us wrote back that it is IMPOSSIBLE that it was Morpheus that put new.net on your computer, you began to say that it does not matter, both are MusicCity products, and IMESH at least... However, to quote you>
"I know IT WAS INSTALLED WITH MORPHEUS, because I am not the only one with this problem, the tech said there are hundreds just in my area and he told me all of his customers said it happene"
and
"I understand your point of view, but unfortunately the only program I have installed is Morpheus,"
and
"And the only reason I dont trust Morpheus, is because not only do they implement this software in Morpheus but it is also put into Kazza without the permission of the user..
And if I am not mistaken, Music City is responsible for both Kazza and Morpheus, so if they would do it to Kazza users, I am sure they wouldnt hesitate to do it to morph users."
should I go on? I just put these here to enable you to see your own messages in one peace - it seems you are having problems to do remember them as a whole.
So, you HAVE installed something that put new.net on your computer, and it WAS NOT morpheus. Was it Kazaa then? So by now you are not so sure it was Morpheus, but you still keep rating against MusicCity. (And what about that famous "Tech" of yours who said that there are hundreds of people just in your area having the same problem related explicitly and ONLY to Morpheus) Now, it seems to me, that it is not me who is having problems with his short term memory.
So, this "Tech", whom you paid 80 bucks, (along with hundreds of users of course), was an invention of yours, hmmm?
Mr. Smoketoomuch (remember the Monthy Python series?)
Reply Number 21 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by Smoketoomuch on Dec-23-01 at 02:26 AM
sorry for my spelling mistakes, I'm a bit tired.
Reply Number 22 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by BuzzB2K on Dec-23-01 at 02:52 AM
LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-01 AT 02:53 AM (PST)
Mr. Smoketoomuch (remember the Monthy Python series?)
You out to cut back then... -lol
Merry Christmas
Buzz
Reply Number 23 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by metoo (Guest) on Dec-23-01 at 05:32 AM
"And if I am not mistaken, Music City is responsible for both Kazza and Morpheus, so if they would do it to Kazza users, I am sure they wouldnt hesitate to do it to morph users."
you are very mistaken. kazaa is owned and run by fasttrack technologies, the maker of the software morph is framed upon. they do not make, run, or distribute morpheus. that is done by streamcast networks (a.k.a musiccity). one company cannot add extra software to the morpheus when all musiccity gets from fast track is liscensing rights to use their network protocol and gui. the rest is controlled by musiccity.
Reply Number 24 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by yeti185 on Dec-23-01 at 07:27 AM
LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-01 AT 07:27 AM (PST)
Well Well Well
I just been n checked my system over & I can say THAT MORPH DOES NOT INSTALL NEW-NET or anything like it & that is after re installing Morph quite a few times...
Morpheus DOES NOT CONTAIN SPYWARE of anykind therefor matey you installed another program that stuffed ur pc...
IT WAS NOT MORPH
SO QUIT BLAMING Morpheus.......
Reply Number 25 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by pdjh (Guest) on Dec-23-01 at 08:05 AM
Adaware does remove new.net quickly and painlessly, including registry entries. And it's free.
Reply Number 26 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by Wildkat357 on Dec-23-01 at 09:45 AM
>I just been n checked my
>system over & I can
>say THAT MORPH DOES NOT
>INSTALL NEW-NET or anything like
>it & that is after
>re installing Morph quite a
>few times...
Ditto here-- and with the SAME results. NO NEW-NET ANYWHERE!! And one thing which puzzles me, is how this marvelous "tech" we keep hearing about made the reference to the amount of people in "users" area having "the same problem"--I wonder why ALL these people in this ONE area of the world all decided to remove Morph at the exact same time?? This whole thing just makes no sense, except that "Concerned User" has some type of vendetta against MucicCity.
Also have you noticed that the more we start picking "user's" story apart, the more silent he/she becomes?
Happy Holidays--kat
If you can't be a good example--be one hell of a warning!!!
Reply Number 27 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by ConcernedUSER (Guest) on Dec-23-01 at 04:33 PM
If you insist on posting retarded messages then I suggest you read what has been posted.
YOU CANNOT JUST DO A SEARCH FOR NEW.NET AND FIND IT.. FINDING AND REMOVING THIS PROGRAM IS A VERY DIFFICULT PROCCES.
And To MR.Smoketoomuch: You obviously still are unable to comprehend my simple words, let me do it a little slower this time for you.
I D I D N O T I N S T A L L K A Z Z A ! !
AND IMESH WAS INSTALLED AFTER NEW.NET WAS REMOVED!!
I hope this sinks in for you, and obviosly MORPHEUS was the cause of New.net.
Reply Number 28 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by BuzzB2K on Dec-23-01 at 05:07 PM
I've tried to remain out of this as I made my point early on.. But let me see if I can sum up your position.
Hundreds of Thousands of People are Wrong and You and your "Tech" are Right!
(It still only took me 8min.to go through my registry!!)
Merry Christmas
Buzz
Reply Number 29 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by Wildkat357 on Dec-23-01 at 05:32 PM
>YOU CANNOT JUST DO A SEARCH
>FOR NEW.NET AND FIND IT..
>FINDING AND REMOVING THIS PROGRAM
>IS A VERY DIFFICULT PROCCES.
Maybe I should have elaborated a little more and mentioned the fact that I am a computer tech major at KSU with only a little over a semester left till graduation. I know how to access, search and edit within the registry and New.Net is NOT there! I am not just some dumba** replying to your post for the purpose of annoying you, I am trying to explain to you that Morph was not the installer of this program on your system. Perhaps the server for your local area was the culprit, that would explain why so many people in your area were experiencing the same problem, while those of us who have read and responded to your post have not.
I don't understand why you insist on being so damned rude to everyone who has tried to respond to you. If you didn't want people to comment on your topic, then why in the heck did you post it to begin with?
Happy Holidays--kat
Reply Number 30 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by ConernedUSER (Guest) on Dec-23-01 at 06:04 PM
If you read my original post, the reason I posted this was to get a response from Music City on this topic, not a snot nosed brat.
And I am surprised it only took you 8 mins to perform this:
Create a backup Registry file in case you experience further problems:
Click Start
Click Run
Type in "regedit"
Click OK
Highlight "My Computer" on the left
Click the Registry menu at the top and select "Export Registry File"
Name the file "backup" and save it to your Desktop.
Check for New.net Startup:
In the left pane of the Registry Editor, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, click the "+" sign next to Software
Click the "+" sign next to Microsoft
Click the "+" sign next to Windows
Click the "+" sign next to Current Version
Click on the Run folder
On the right, locate the line that reads "New.net Startup" and delete it
Remove "New.net Application" from Add/Remove Programs:
Under the same Current Version folder from above, click the "+" sign next to Uninstall
Locate the "New.net" folder and delete it
Remove the New.net software folder:
In the left pane of the Registry Editor, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, under "Software"
Locate the "New.net" folder and delete it
Close the open folders above by clicking once on the small "-" signs next to them.
Locate "Catalog Entries" folder:
Under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder, click the small "+" (plus) sign next to System
Click the small "+" sign next to CurrentControlSet
Click the small "+" sign next to Services
Click the small "+" sign next to WinSock2
Click the small "+" sign next to Parameters. You should see 2 folders, "NameSpace_Catalog5" and "Protocol_Catalog9".
Click the small "+" signs next to both of them
Inside both folders, you should see a "Catalog_Entries" folder. Open each of them.
Within each of those folders are numbered folders (i.e. 000000000001, 000000000002, etc.)
For the "NameSpace_Catalog5" numbered folders:
First, make note of how many folders there are
Highlight the first one
On the righthand side, locate the line "Library Path"
In that line, the rightmost column should begin with something similar to "C:\windows" or "%SystemRoot%".
Locate any of the numbered folders that read "C:\windows\newdotnet2_109.dll" (or similar) in the "Library Path" line
Delete only those folders referring to "newdotnet"
If needed, rename each numbered folder so that they are all consecutive. For example, if there were 4 folders and you deleted folders the first 2, you will need to rename the remaining folders "000000000001" and "000000000002".
Do this by right-clicking the folder name, left-click Rename and then type in the new number (be absolutely sure you don't delete any of the zeros).
Next, highlight the "NameSpace_Catalog5" folder on the lefthand side.
On the right, locate the "Num_Catalog_Entries" line. At the end of this line is a number in parentheses.
Edit that number by doing the following:
Double-click "Num_Catalog_Entries"
In the small pop-up window, select "Decimal"
Edit the value of the number on the left to reflect the number of remaining folders (in the case of the example in step G above, you would enter 2)
Click OK
For the "Protocol_Catalog9" numbered folders:
First, make note of how many folders there are
Highlight the first one
On the righthand side, you will see a line beginning with "PackedCatalogItem". Double-click on that word and a small windows will pop-up.
In this window, several columns appear with numbers and letters. At the top of the last column appears a path that will say, "C:\WINDOWS\NEWDOTNET~.DLL" or "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM..." followed by a long list of characters.
Look through each of the numbered folders and delete only those that indicate "C:\WINDOWS\NEWDOTNET~.DLL" in the "Edit Binary Value" window described above. In other words, if you find a reference to "NEWDOTNET..." in the "Edit Binary Value" window, close the window first (click "Cancel"), then highlight the numbered folder on the left you were checking and delete it. If the folder does not say "C:\WINDOWS\NEWDOTNET..." in the TOP RIGHT corner only, DO NOT delete it. NOTE: You should find it in either 2 or 4 folders total. If you do not, double-check the folders and if it's still the same, just move on to the next step.
Rename each remaining numbered folder so that they are all consecutive. For example, if there were 13 folders and you deleted 2 of them, you will need to rename the remaining folders "000000000001" through "000000000011".
Do this by right-clicking the folder name, left-click Rename, press the "End" key on your keyboard once (next to "Delete"), press "Backspace" once, then type in the new number (**be absolutely sure you don't delete any of the zeros) and then press "Enter".
Next, highlight the "Protocol_Catalog9" folder on the lefthand side.
On the right, locate the "Num_Catalog_Entries" line. At the end of this line is a number in parentheses.
Edit that number by doing the following:
Double-click "Num_Catalog_Entries"
In the small pop-up window, select "Decimal"
Edit the value of the number on the left to reflect the number of remaining folders (in the case of the example in step F above, you would enter 11)
Click OK
Again, you may close all open folders. Close the Registry Editor. Your changes will be automatically saved. Reboot your computer and attempt to access a website. See Step 6 (Registry backup) above if you experience other unusual computer problems. If your Internet access has been restored, we recommend you delete the registry backup file by doing the following:
On your Windows desktop, locate the "backup" file that was created in the Backup Registry procedure above.
Delete the file and remove it from your Recycle Bin also.
Please let us know if this helps and if you have any further problems or questions.
Reply Number 31 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by traybella on Dec-23-01 at 07:21 PM
Can I just say to all of you, please,
please grow the heck up. WHO CARES???
Anyone who has this installed remove it
simply with AdAware, those who don't, why
are you getting worked up???Agree to
disagree and all move on please, you are
getting extremely BORING!!!
Reply Number 32 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by BuzzB2K on Dec-23-01 at 07:36 PM
ConernedUSER
Was there some point in your posting the instructions?
I failed to catch it.
The instructions were written in such a manner that a computer illiterate individual who had never even seen the registry could follow them. It takes 3 or 4 lines to say something that could be said with one short line...
example:long
In the left pane of the Registry Editor, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, click the "+" sign next to Software
Click the "+" sign next to Microsoft
Click the "+" sign next to Windows
Click the "+" sign next to Current Version
example:short
Delete "New.net Startup" from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Microsft\Windows\Current Version\Run
Merry Christmas
Buzz
Reply Number 34 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by Wildkat357 on Dec-23-01 at 09:26 PM
Bravo, Buzz!!! And as for Traybella, if you don't like the post thread, then don't read it, there's plenty more to read out there like all the crying about nonsharers, mp3 sharers, etc.. (yawn, snore)
Happy Holidays--kat
Reply Number 35 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by kazaasucks on Dec-23-01 at 09:27 PM
yes, shortness is bliss.
now, I don't have new.net in that key, the run key in your post you refer to, and I use Morpheus daily. the only thing Ad-Aware has picked up lately is a bunch of cookies and Bonzi Buddy installer (which Tiny Personal Firewall blocked from trying to pest me)
all users should share, if only a single pic, however, forced sharing is like force feeding, it comes back up all over you
Reply Number 36 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by BuzzB2K on Dec-23-01 at 09:39 PM
Where did you manage to pick up the "Little Grape Ape"
I used to have a time with him at work (before they shut down )
Once a week I'd go around the plant and chase him off the PC's!
Merry Christmas
Buzz
Reply Number 37 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by kazaasucks on Dec-23-01 at 10:02 PM
In a Morpheus pop up ad, but, this was before I knew what he looked like, as I have helped others remove it.
I clicked it, and a setup screen appeared. shortly after that, my Firewall popped up, saying this program (c:\windows\temp\glb4023.tmp) is trying to connect to Bonzi.com.
OK, I immediately said "always block it". and closed the setup program. afterwhich I ran ad-aware to see anything it left behind. not much, a few regestry keys and the install file was all.
and, within the last week, I added www.bonzi.com to the "Restricted sites" list in Internet Options, as well as the cometcursor web site. very handy, and it makes it impossible for those sites to do anything bad to me.
all users should share, if only a single pic, however, forced sharing is like force feeding, it comes back up all over you
Reply Number 33 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by Wildkat357 on Dec-23-01 at 09:24 PM
>If you read my original post,
>the reason I posted this
>was to get a response
>from Music City on this
>topic, not a snot nosed
>brat.
>
FYI jerkoff, I am not a snot nosed brat, but a 34 year old woman who returned to college to get her degree.
Also FYI, it was Buzz who did the work in 8 minutes, it actually took me around 15.
If you can't be a good example--be one hell of a warning!
Reply Number 38 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by kingi2k81 on Dec-24-01 at 00:01 AM
Hi all.
ConcernedUSER, apparently not concerned enough. You just paid 80 USD to some scamming, fast talking tech, who reassured you that you were right and did some smoke and mirrors act on your computer and blamed it on Morpheus. You were gyped.
If you were such a concerned user then you wouldn't post such things here causing scared or demanding that Music City are liars and have breeched there Privacy contract, which is what you do by insisting they are the cause for your problem and installing spyware on your computer. They aren't. Since Morpheus popped up in 2000, I have installed/uninstalled all versions numerous times with nothing out of the ordinary happening from doing so. In surfing the past months, I noticed that New.net is very persistent at getting you to try their product which says something like "see the new internet site endings, join the wave of the future don't get left behind .xxx .tv. kid .toy .dvd .blah blah blah" plus if you have the amount of knowledge you claim to have, you can know that ANYONE CAN PUT ANYTHING ONTO YOUR COMPUTER AND DO ANYTHING WITH IT UNLESS YOU HAVE PROTECTION AGAINST THIS!
Wtih that said either you unknowingly installed it, which it is so sall you wouldn't notice it, or some site took the liberty of doing so for you. In this case you would get no warning and it would be there.
What I don't get is the mention of Ad-Aware here and you still argue. It is free, regularly updated and removes ALL TRACES OF SPYWARE FROM YOUR COMPUTER! So if the tech really did remove nex.net and you paid him/her 80 USD for it, you were gyped, Ad-Aware, which is free, would have done so in seconds not minutes or an hour, www.lavasoft.de .
If you uninstall and traces are left there are many free and trial programs that will remove the aftershocks immediately for good. System Mechanic is one, Fix It Utilities, RegClean. All free, take your pic, all take a few seconds to setup and execute. So you got gyped no matter how you look at it, you aren't the know it all you try to pas yourself off to be, and Music City nor Morpheus is responsible for your business being down a week. It was you yourself or your ISP, so please go point fingers elsewhere.
BTW, as said before, Morpheus and Kazaa are two different programs with similar gui because they got the engine to run their programs fromt eh same inventors. They are in no way affiliated and Kazaa has the spyware and bad stuff, not Morph. I think morpheus is nearing the 100 million download mark since its original release, so it is safe to say that you are 110% in the wrong and frankly should apologize and go lick your wounds. Good thing you are under a lame guest name otherwise you would have to retire your username for good after this.
Another one for the good guy...
P.S. To avoid embarassing yoruself like this in the future, or if you decide to come out of #####-mode, come to the forums at http:// http://www.morelerbe.com/cgi-bin/ubb....cgi?ubb=login to discuss yoru problems before putting your foot up your #####.
Just my 2 cents and MHO. Maybe you don't smoke enough, lighten up, loosen your bowtie, don't get yoru suspenders in a bunch.
Reply Number 39 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by BuzzB2K on Dec-24-01 at 01:23 AM
LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-01 AT 01:24 AM (PST)
I don't where you've been or how long you've been gone but you are most definitely "Welcomed Back" after that editorial
Maybe I was too kind on him from the start - I just thought he was misguided not totally ignorant (and stubbornly insistent on being so!!) - LMAO
Merry Christmas
Buzz
Reply Number 43 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by Psilaxs on Dec-24-01 at 01:18 PM
Not to be rude or meen but read your quote below. Now whom is the idiot? Imesh Put that BACK ONTO your system UGHHHH get your STORY(Emphisis added)Strait
>AND IMESH WAS INSTALLED AFTER NEW.NET
>WAS REMOVED!!
>
Reply Number 40 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by yeti185 on Dec-24-01 at 03:13 AM
By the way I am also a Programmer & know what the inside of a PC looks like.
So stop bitchin Get Your Act Together and check your system out properly You been duped
<<< IT WAS NOT MORPHEUS THAT STUCK NEW NET ON YOUR PC >>
Have a nice day
Reply Number 41 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by ConcernedUSER on Dec-24-01 at 12:44 PM
BAH, You are all in on the conspiracy, and propably working for Music City!!!
Adios.
Reply Number 42 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by BuzzB2K on Dec-24-01 at 01:04 PM
"You are all in on the conspiracy, and propably working for Music City!!!"
You caught us! All of the Dozen or so of us who posted are actually in on a world wide 'conspiracy' against you!! -ROFL
Merry Christmas
Buzz
Reply Number 44 - "RE: New.Net issue"
Posted by Wildkat357 on Dec-24-01 at 01:25 PM
How does that saying go? "If you think everyone if out to get you, they probably are!" (roflmao)
Hey Buzz!! BTW it is 4:30p on 12/24 and WE GOT SNOW!! What's the word on your side of the state?
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to all--kat
Old 12-04-02, 07:44 PM   #16
BuzzB2K

Cool nostalgia

Thank you...
I could not remember the name "ConcernedUSER"... I see my time has improved:

Quote:
I still think it took that "Tech" to long, I just went through each step and went through my registry in a little over 8min.
The truth is out there.
Buzz
Of course I now know where I am headed (which Keys and such)

I just noticed Indy asked a question during that exchange but it doesn't seem like he ever got a direct answer.