P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 26-07-01, 10:42 AM   #1
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Thanks for the compliment Dark!

Quote:
Originally posted by WizzOzz
Hi.

Ich needed 1 week to download a movie from winmx (ghost in the shell, my first one wohooo ) and I found following out:
The displayed queue in the search screen is in no way excact. I often found 4 free solts to end in a queue of 10 people.
If you search for a file and immediately whois the person and than download the file, the whois/download queue is normally exact.

If youre queued and whois shows information, 2 minutes later winmx cant connect to server to get the whois again. I think the reason is the fast node changing from winmx (on the zeropaid board a guy wrote more details).

After letting the comp running for 10 or more hours I had a sometimes 8 transfers in queue and whois didnt work on a single one. Winmx obviouly doesnt notice a node change and the downloads simply hang in nirvana.

Btw, Im currently betatesting a firewall and playing with the rules showed that winmx opens a tcp connection to the homesite (normal). The interresting thing is, that winmx checks the iexplorer and connects using the proxy settings it found there. This do a lot of programs, but this behaviour basically nullifies filtering the outgoing traffic.

WizzOzz
Hi WizzOzz, thank you for your detailed and interesting information!

WPNP and Morpheus/Kazaa both seem to suffer from the same basic problem: they miss the core lovel support for permanent identities and a reliable presence / peer locating service based on them. This missing service level is causing all sorts of problems like unreliable whois requests, missing hotlists, inability to block hostile or leechy users reliably etc.

Well, it's still a young technology and it is only natural that we will have to wait a little before we can have all the delicacies we want... not to talk about those that we cannot yet even dream of...

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote