P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 27-12-06, 03:31 PM   #1
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

Quote:
Another point is that the 3 thousand(or 2,793 for you sticklers) that died on Sept. 11 were civilians, not military as you pointed out. If we count up all the dead civilians in Iraq the total will be much higher. Even the families and loved ones of the dead Iraqii civilians probably don't care about frequency of death as much as the death itself.
I agree that the survivors probably don’t care much for the statistics being tossed about.

However, a comparison between military deaths in Iraq and civilian deaths on 09/11/2001 is the topic of this thread.

If you wish to open the example to the entire five year period and encompass Iraqi civilians who died, it’s easy to expand the comparison to include the entire 5 year period instead of the minimum necessary 883 minutes.

24 hours per day X 60 minutes per hour = 1440 minutes per day
365 days per year X 5 years = 1825 days
1825 - 1 day less due to leap year = 1824 days in the 5 year period
1824 days X 1440 minutes per day = 2,626,560 minutes in the 5 year period

2, 626,560 minutes X 33 deaths per minute at the 9/11 death rate = 86,676,480 deaths, or nearly four times the population of Iraq. The population of Iraq (according to http://www.arab.de/arabinfo/iraq.htm ) is 22,219,289 using a 1997 estimation.

As I said previously:
Any amount of deaths is bad, but which death toll do you prefer - 2,973 deaths in 90 minutes by NOT fighting terrorists OR 2,793 deaths in 5 years by fighting terrorists?

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-06, 07:38 PM   #2
miss_silver
Keebeck Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakonix View Post

As I said previously:
Any amount of deaths is bad, but which death toll do you prefer - 2,973 deaths in 90 minutes by NOT fighting terrorists OR 2,793 deaths in 5 years by fighting terrorists?
Statistics or no statistics, the painful truth is that the Iraqie population suffered a much greater loss since the US invasion than under Saddam regime. Loss of life is a loss of life, in any remote country it happens, it is still a dead human being.

Now saddam Hussein is going to be hanged, another Hussein for martyrdom.
miss_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-06, 08:35 PM   #3
albed
flippin 'em off

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-06, 01:54 AM   #4
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed View Post
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
nice quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.
floydian slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-06, 11:15 PM   #5
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_silver View Post
Statistics or no statistics, the painful truth is that the Iraqie population suffered a much greater loss since the US invasion than under Saddam regime. Loss of life is a loss of life, in any remote country it happens, it is still a dead human being.

Now saddam Hussein is going to be hanged, another Hussein for martyrdom.
You'll notice that the leader of Iraq is being put to death for killing 148 people while the leader of the United States has, by your standard, killed thousands of Iraqis and yet he will not be put on trial. What say you to that?
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-06, 12:28 AM   #6
miss_silver
Keebeck Canuck

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
You'll notice that the leader of Iraq is being put to death for killing 148 people while the leader of the United States has, by your standard, killed thousands of Iraqis and yet he will not be put on trial. What say you to that?
Make him a strange fruit hang in the summer breeze?
Old 28-12-06, 10:57 AM   #7
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Make him a strange fruit hang in the summer breeze?
Eh, that probably won't happen. So what you're saying is you don't see any moral difference between Hussein and Bush?
Old 28-12-06, 12:25 PM   #8
albed
flippin 'em off

She can't even see any difference between her head and her ass.

-Don't Torment The Retard-
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-06, 02:50 PM   #9
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Eh, that probably won't happen. So what you're saying is you don't see any moral difference between Hussein and Bush?
none whatsoever, at this point.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-06, 03:06 PM   #10
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Do you see any moral difference between Americans and Iraqis?
Old 28-12-06, 03:56 PM   #11
miss_silver
Keebeck Canuck

Sleepy

Quote:
Thanks for putting words in my mouth I never spoken or said. Real classy of you. What I am saying is that Bush cannot even grasp mentally the death toll of the Iraqie population as I previously posted. Saddam admitted to those death, no big secret, everyone knew about the kurdish massacre. Bush was presented with an estimation that surpassed his rosie world where he seem convinced that only some 30 000 Iraqie lost their lives ever since the invasion. He was confronted with the truth, the inner working of his brain prevented him to grasp the "real Iraquie death toll"

Beside for trying to put words I never said in my mouth Mazer, answer the question, it all comes down to that right? Is the life of an Iraqie citizen worth less than the one of a US citizen?

Yes, the US soldiers death toll is saddening, so is the Toll of dead Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan but all combined together, they don't even reach 10% of what the Iraqian population suffered ever since the administration decided to "Liberate them"

Franklin had it right when he said those wise words, maybe he forsaw some future glimpse of what was to come.

Quote:
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
Old 28-12-06, 05:10 PM   #12
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Thanks for putting words in my mouth I never spoken or said. Real classy of you.
It was just a question. Sorry if my curiosity offends you.

Quote:
None what so ever. One want to force Allah as the only god, the other one want to force democracy as the only way.

Not much moral difference there is there eh?
If these two morally equivalent nations both have ambitions that reach beyond their borders and adventuresome militaries, do you think it matters in the end if one destroys the other?