P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 26-11-02, 02:12 PM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Default Filetopia is finally growing

It's been around since the early days of Napster; it's finally gone from the 1200 users it was stuck on to about 4000 in the last few months. And they share an average of 700 files.

napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-02, 10:02 AM   #2
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default yea - shame that

it's really not such a bad program and the social features are one of it's best features (imho).

Oh well........................there's still hope. maybe.
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-02, 12:22 AM   #3
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

it's a shame the files of those 4000 users are split among 1000 channels. general searches turn up almost nothing.
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-02, 09:00 PM   #4
JediForce77
A Jedi's Strength Flows From TheForce.net

Search results are pretty bad, and the fact that you get disconnected while downloading alot.

If they could fix that I think that the number of users would skyrocket.
JediForce77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-02, 07:02 PM   #5
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows One good reason...

One Good reason, that I appear less on here, and on the Opennap & WNP networks, is because of Filetopia, not because its searches are brilliant, or its user numbers are phenominal, but purely because of the social aspect, the focusing of genre, and range of interest in the various rooms.

No longer do I have to wade through pages of near misses on searches, like Nancy Wilson of Heart, when I want the REAL Nancy Wilson, Jazz, and Adult singer.

Or search for Dick Gaughan, and end up with Ray Vaughan..

"I Cant get Started" and end up with some rubbish about "get this party started"

No, when you are in the right room on Filetopia, you get the right music from the right people, and properly ripped too. FT 3.03 allows the saving of users lists, something 99% of other clients seem to have fallen shy of providing, not only are these lists available, but you can use them to initiate downloads, or create automatic "Watch Lists" that will find and start downloads whne the wanted file appears.

The Social aspect it superb, with broadcast or "Whispered communications, message lists etc. As a P2P user that never did get on to AudioGalaxy, I can see why so many Ag users are now on FT, its just like their old home.

Ok there are anomolies, crashes, and the usual problems that beset all internet connected systems, but its early stages, really in terms of development, the future could be really bright for FT.

TankGirl will no doubt have already expounded on the social virutes of FT, so you are reading nothing new from me on this rare visit to Napsterites.net.

I just hope to see a few more of my old friends and sparing partners from here, on there, if Goldenrod can make it, you all can, if you want to...

(Hi Tg, Hi Goldy, Hi JS,) good to read all your wisdom, and to know you are all still there and fighting for P2P.

Gone back to the Bat Cave again, until the next time... Cheers

Snark.
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-02, 07:23 PM   #6
JackSpratts

Default Re: One good reason...

Quote:
Originally posted by Snarkridden

(Hi Tg, Hi Goldy, Hi JS,) good to read all your wisdom, and to know you are all still there and fighting for P2P.

Gone back to the Bat Cave again, until the next time... Cheers

Snark.
always a pleasure sr. looking forward to your next visit, don't wait so long.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-02, 07:12 PM   #7
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Dont Worry Js..

I'm still keeping the odd eye on NU, and my eyes are real odd, so you aint seen (or heard) the last of me...

Filetopia hit the 5000 user mark tonight, so it is developing, long way to go, but the message is spreading, with help from you good souls on here..

When Dawn arrives, i'll know its matured into a real P2P chat system, and of course when Tg arrives, then its social quality will have been given her seal of approval too...

Things can only get better, we hope...

Snark..
Old 13-12-02, 07:28 PM   #8
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Big Laugh

LOL you odd-eyed Snark, stop teasing us and tell us more about Filetopia!

Filetopia has had my appreciation all along. I like very much both their philosophy and their technical approach, including protected communications and group management tools.

Snark, you're as good a p2p researcher and a reporter as I can ever be, and you're the one who has been actively there.... so please share with us your experiences of the community, groups, content.... are there many AG refugees there? Are the groups/channels working well? What kind of content is available? How is the new decentralized technology working? Inquiring minds want to know!

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-02, 07:32 AM   #9
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

Wink Beware the dungeon mistress!

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl
Isn't a tease calling someone else a tease hypocritical?

Quote:
Inquiring minds want to know!
She commands and you obey! Tread carefully, or like me you'll be stuck in the cyber-dungeon for a long time.

P.S. @ tg. I'm trying to drop subtle hints as to the possibility of a new recruit... It's lonely in the cold, wet dungeon.
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-02, 08:27 AM   #10
goldie
yea, it's me.

@ SAdave
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-02, 03:17 AM   #11
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows He He... Tg

Quote:

Filetopia has had my appreciation all along. I like very much both their philosophy and their technical approach, including protected communications and group management tools.

Snark, you're as good a p2p researcher and a reporter as I can ever be, and you're the one who has been actively there.... so please share with us your experiences of the community, groups, content.... are there many AG refugees there? Are the groups/channels working well? What kind of content is available? How is the new decentralized technology working? Inquiring minds want to know!

- tg

He He... This Lass knows how to flatter a fellow!

Give it time, lots to learn TG, new features everyday, bugs, a few, yes but its becoming a draw for sure, mind you I can only quote from my experiences with the Folk music scene, one of two rooms I visit often.

To answer your AG question, yes, quite a lot of special AG rooms for old friends to meet, though I never was an AG type, so only payed a fleeting visit. One thing I will say though, leeches get pretty short shrift, a new joiner in a room soon finds their files being listed, downloaded, and pretty soon comments arrive.

Compared to WinMx/Opennap, the available files are small, but for specific genre's the right room will have more available and more knowledgable people, than ever MX or Opennap will.

I'm working on it.. More later...

Snark.