P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 21-11-02, 07:33 PM   #1
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink Special firewall to protect p2p users

PeerGuardian is a simple firewall product blocking the IP ranges of known p2p enemies and also the working of some spyware. It is still in alpha so you might want to wait a bit before testing it (this does not apply to Napho! ) but it is a pleasure to see stuff like this being developed.

Quote:
From the developer:

The program was written after I'd seen many requests for something to universally block these companies out of file-sharing programs. A lot of people were asking where to get free firewall software, how to add the addresses to the firewalls block lists or how to add them in their specific P2P program. I'm not completely sure of it's effectiveness and that's why I'm releasing it as an alpha release. I can guarantee that PeerGuardian is safe and won't do anything bad but I'll have to wait for feedback before I can make any statement on it's effectiveness. It should work without problems for most people though.

PeerGuardian blocks out known IP ranges used by MediaForce, MediaDefender, BayTSP, Ranger, OverPeer, RIAA, MPAA & NetPD by default.
- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-02, 08:20 PM   #2
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

A good concept but......blocking from your end unfortunately will have little effect on the fake file flood I fear. I think bearshare already hardcodes these IP's? Probably a few other apps as well but all apps should by default! Keeping the supernodes etc from indexing these files is the proper way.
But a good idea none the less, I will probably even give it a try after it gets out of alpha stages
Old 21-11-02, 08:35 PM   #3
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Cool site you got there, Shucks
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-02, 05:44 PM   #4
Mowzer
'

This wont help much in long term, but I guess it will stop some from receiving nasty mail from the RIAA.

I am just glad this idea hasn't caught on in every p2p app out there and hard coded by default, if this was the way it was since the early days of p2p, groups like the RIAA would be applying even greater pressure to try to lynch ISPs.

The ISP is the weakest link as its been discussed before here. Protecting the front door still leaves the back open.

The app is an easy way to block ip addys, something others have done with host lists or through firewall programs, to keep Media Enforcers away. This method still falls under the RIAA radar, as they keep shelling out Britney's pennies to have more and more scanning of p2p networks done.

Its pretty stable, though runs from the tray in a bit of a confusing way.
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-02, 08:19 PM   #5
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

I wonder how much the P2P war is costing RIAA & MPAA. No doubt they have deep pockets - but the drain must be significant, with legal battles and anti-copying/anti-trading research on an unprecedented scale.

I wonder how much these legal (and semi-legal, unlawful) efforts and the R&D is really hurting them financially. Probably a lot more than any genuine losses attributable to P2P sharing or other forms they consider “piracy”.

I bet the cost of these “anti-piracy” measures is totaled in the “losses to piracy” financial figures, whether or not the actual losses to "piracy" justify the expense and concern they give it. Of course, guess who pays for that effort - consumers.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-02, 09:21 AM   #6
Mowzer
'

Quote:
Originally posted by Drakonix
I wonder how much the P2P war is costing RIAA & MPAA. No doubt they have deep pockets - but the drain must be significant, with legal battles and anti-copying/anti-trading research on an unprecedented scale.

I wonder how much these legal (and semi-legal, unlawful) efforts and the R&D is really hurting them financially. Probably a lot more than any genuine losses attributable to P2P sharing or other forms they consider “piracy”.
I am not sure, but I would hate to see them drop everything and start focusing 100% on the weakest link ISPs.

The RIAA and co hort's has been effective when they apply themselves, and putting pressure on different groups or getting laws into politicians hands.

If they started today and full out 100% on a war between intellectual property which they wrongly feel they own or are responsible for and ISPs, I think it would be a long and very complex battle of users freedom etc.

I doubt they would be effective at it, and I ISPs have stood up to defending users when they received nasty mail from the media enforcers, but daily, heavy pressure for a few years.

I am not sure what the outcome would be. Regardless, no matter where they focus their efforts, it does as you say hold true, consumers end up paying in one way or another.
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote