P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > The Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

Old 21-12-06, 07:15 PM   #21
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Well I'm not atm, (just listening to Atom Heart Mother & Embryo, Fillmore, 1970--brilliant performance, a tad phasey recording but very clear)--but I'll let you know tomorrow* if SoundForge won't work, which will really surprise me. *(will get online with my machine).
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-06, 09:14 PM   #22
JackSpratts

well i did find this:

"The low bandwidth stream is 40k.

The broadband stream can vary, depending on the strength of your connection."

also, the files are mp3s.

they don't seem to want to give out the actual bit rate of the "big" stream,

so i'm still guessing 96-112kbs.

and that big pita gap between live tracks? it's not a bug. it's a "feature."

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-06, 09:41 PM   #23
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

y'know, i heard about this site a while ago but it really didn't click at the time. how incredibly cool to sit down late at night with a beaker of hot buttered rum, put on the headphones and cue up the concert of choice

js, btw, that Elton concert is nice - the lively and intimate version of Burn Down The Mission is sweet
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-06, 11:50 PM   #24
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife View Post
y'know, i heard about this site a while ago but it really didn't click at the time. how incredibly cool to sit down late at night with a beaker of hot buttered rum, put on the headphones and cue up the concert of choice
it sure is. have you read the forums? everyone posting is swooning.

it's a geezer rocker's wet dream.

i mean the good kind, not the icky kind.

it's not a creepy pbs reunion show with creepy clean lighting and creepy inter-segment call in drones.

these are the living artists at thier peak, with a bit of innocence left, and we can join them.

for years i wanted to produce fantasy park concerts with modern studio musicians "bringing back" defunct bands - but the costs were too high for radio. this service is as close to that idea as anything i've ever heard, except it's real. i want to blast it through my pa system for three days straight and jam in the yard (and sleep there too).

elton john's concert was voted into the top ten and given five stars. i loved it.

- js.
Old 22-12-06, 05:33 PM   #25
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Well, I WISH YOU GUYS WOULDA NEVER BROUGHT THIS UP. You're ruining my WHOLE LIFE!

Much to my chagrin SoundForge will not record the stream. (This I learned after wrestling all day with routers, cables and drills etc. plus a fair amount of cursing, finally getting online, realizing my 'Media Center Edition' soundcard/software is hateful to me and I barely know how I've gotten it to do what I normally require of it in the first place, downloading about twelve freeware stream recorders and promptly removing them upon dismal failure, posting at several forums and sounding like a complete newbie, reading a great deal and realizing that it is in fact my soundcard and not anything particularly tricky about SoundForge which relieved me somewhat because I knew I could do it on my old machine, and finally submitting to the fact that even though I'm sure there's a magical setting somewhere that I can't find, I really can't find it.)

Long and short of it, if you're running SoundForge (or really just about any recorder) and you have that simple old mixer option of "what you hear" and can route it to your recorder then you would have no problem making that the input and recording it. Like duh. Alas, I have not this option anymore, and I long for a simpler time. The Media Center Edition only allows a choice between MS soundmapper and a handful of physical jacks as I/O, none of which of course is carrying the stream. If there are advantages to the MCE they are currently escaping memory.

I also looked into a thing called Proxomitron which is supposed to be able to tell you the real primary address of a file coming in from a proprietary player, but it confused and frightened me and I made it go away. Maybe someone smarter than me ought to check that out.

So, regardless of the fact that I have a DAT sitting right here I could (relatively) easily use to record the streams, I'm just going to pout and be irked and probably not break down and actually do it until I'm convinced there's no other way, which could conceivably take a couple more days of torture.
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-06, 09:46 PM   #26
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona_A_Stone View Post
Well, I WISH YOU GUYS WOULDA NEVER BROUGHT THIS UP. You're ruining my WHOLE LIFE!

Much to my chagrin SoundForge will not record the stream. (This I learned after wrestling all day with routers, cables and drills etc. plus a fair amount of cursing, finally getting online, realizing my 'Media Center Edition' soundcard/software is hateful to me and I barely know how I've gotten it to do what I normally require of it in the first place, downloading about twelve freeware stream recorders and promptly removing them upon dismal failure, posting at several forums and sounding like a complete newbie, reading a great deal and realizing that it is in fact my soundcard and not anything particularly tricky about SoundForge which relieved me somewhat because I knew I could do it on my old machine, and finally submitting to the fact that even though I'm sure there's a magical setting somewhere that I can't find, I really can't find it.)

Long and short of it, if you're running SoundForge (or really just about any recorder) and you have that simple old mixer option of "what you hear" and can route it to your recorder then you would have no problem making that the input and recording it. Like duh. Alas, I have not this option anymore, and I long for a simpler time. The Media Center Edition only allows a choice between MS soundmapper and a handful of physical jacks as I/O, none of which of course is carrying the stream. If there are advantages to the MCE they are currently escaping memory.

I also looked into a thing called Proxomitron which is supposed to be able to tell you the real primary address of a file coming in from a proprietary player, but it confused and frightened me and I made it go away. Maybe someone smarter than me ought to check that out.

So, regardless of the fact that I have a DAT sitting right here I could (relatively) easily use to record the streams, I'm just going to pout and be irked and probably not break down and actually do it until I'm convinced there's no other way, which could conceivably take a couple more days of torture.
i feel your pain...

as i posted earlier, i struck out with Total Recorder....but this Zeropaid post references Audacity with confidence - will try that tomorrow and report...
Old 23-12-06, 01:42 AM   #27
multi
Thanks for being with arse

NO DON'T USE THAT !
ffs..

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-06, 06:42 AM   #28
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi View Post
NO DON'T USE THAT !
ffs..
why?
Old 23-12-06, 07:50 AM   #29
theknife

ok, Total Recorder does work...the only problem is that the output file intermittently erupts in static at different points in the song. not sure why....

edit: it's wierd...about a minute in, a horrible screeching erupts....like some kind of insidious drm?
Old 23-12-06, 11:36 AM   #30
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default total recorder works yall!!

you just gotta work it.

i just made a .wav file from a part of a concert.

make sure you're not trying to do other stuff at same time, shut down the VS's, FW's all other stuff.

edit to delete - yall sorted it out.
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-06, 11:38 AM   #31
JackSpratts

maybe the easiest for now is to output your audio to the input of another pc and proceed from there. digitally preferably (fiber optic i/o) but analog if need be. i've been doing some more taping via the video recorder and it sounds just like the stream. i'm sure the sound quality will be as good and you'll have the added benefit of having it on your harddrive where you can do your edits etc (those gaps need to be trimmed for instance).

i wouldn't be surprised if many of these concerts exist on file-sharing networks already. as a matter of fact a private tracker is throwing a free holiday party this week so i picked up a couple of external hard drives just for the occasion and immediately found elton john's filmore concert @256. it hasn't finished yet so i have no idea how it sounds - but this particular tracker is infamous for enforcing its quality policy and i'd be surprised if it wasn't first rate (for lossy anyway).

one other thing i've found is that this stream can often stop, ruining any recording, so i really have to listen as i tape unless i like surprises. if that's not practical, like during overnight ripping you can still record automatically and get a good copy if you remember to inspect the browser before closing because if the stream does stop it'll show precisely where in the player window. now that's a feature lol! it's not a big deal to then rewind to the last gap before the interuption and restart, but i've had to re-record 2, 3 or more times before i got a full stream.

this would apply to any type of capture, even a direct streamrip.

- js.

edit: just saw goldie's post. nice going!
Old 23-12-06, 11:38 AM   #32
goldie
yea, it's me.

whoops......just noticed knife's posting time.

no sound problems here though.
Old 23-12-06, 11:40 AM   #33
goldie
yea, it's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts View Post

one other thing i've found is that this stream can often stop, ruining any recording, so i really have to listen as i tape unless i like surprises. if that's not practical, like during overnight ripping you can still record automatically and get a good copy if you remember to inspect the browser before closing because if the stream does stop it'll show precisely where in the player window. now that's a feature lol! it's not a big deal to then rewind to the last gap before the interuption and restart, but i've had to re-record 2, 3 or more times before i got a full stream.

this would apply to any type of capture, even a direct streamrip.

- js.
yea - that's sumtin our end really cannot control. def. sux when it happens..
Old 23-12-06, 07:50 PM   #34
Haole
Pronunciation: 'hau-lE

Total Recorder stops recording when the stream is buffering and then resumes with the stream. Also, you can record in a mode that makes it super fast (like 4-8X faster, I think) but you can't listen while it's recording.
Old 23-12-06, 10:50 PM   #35
theknife

darn holidays interfere with the really important stuff - been trying to get back to this all day.

well, instead of trying to debug the direct rip via Total Rec, i just took Jack's advice and pulled up a concert on my laptop, plugged a cable from the headphone jack into the mike jack on my desktop pc, saved it with Total Rec and it seems to work like a champ. now i'm trying to figure out why Total Rec doesn't recognize my Lame encoder, so i can encode to mp3 on the fly as i save, but that's a secondary issue....

edit: actually, no need for 2 boxes - connect the headphone jack to the line-in jack on the same pc and it works great with Total Rec. just gotta figure out how to set-up scheduling so i can go to bed and not fill up my hard drive overnight.
Old 24-12-06, 11:13 AM   #36
theknife

here's a question for you rippers - when you save a whole concert, do you save it as one long mp3 or do you break down the tracks into individual mp3's - and if so, how?
Old 24-12-06, 01:18 PM   #37
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife View Post
here's a question for you rippers - when you save a whole concert, do you save it as one long mp3 or do you break down the tracks into individual mp3's - and if so, how?
taking the elton john concert as an example since you've listened to it, i would have to break it down and trim every song. depending on the sophistication of the ripper those huge inter-song gaps may have to be removed if they weren't ignored. since several of his songs ran together as one seamless peice (like that burn down the mission-shotun-give peace a chance-higher set) any gaps ruin the show.

to eliminate them i'd open the wav files in goldwave and proceed accordingly. when done i'd burn to cd or down-convert to mp3 (or ogg etc) and save. if they're already mp3s there are mp3 editors that eliminate re-converting to wav and back (goldwave is a wav editor).

this way it's simple to play any song without having to search a huge file, and they flow as intended.

- js.
Old 24-12-06, 03:20 PM   #38
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts View Post
taking the elton john concert as an example since you've listened to it, i would have to break it down and trim every song. depending on the sophistication of the ripper those huge inter-song gaps may have to be removed if they weren't ignored. since several of his songs ran together as one seamless peice (like that burn down the mission-shotun-give peace a chance-higher set) any gaps ruin the show.

to eliminate them i'd open the wav files in goldwave and proceed accordingly. when done i'd burn to cd or down-convert to mp3 (or ogg etc) and save. if they're already mp3s there are mp3 editors that eliminate re-converting to wav and back (goldwave is a wav editor).

this way it's simple to play any song without having to search a huge file, and they flow as intended.

- js.
yup, i figured there wasn't any easy way - i was hoping for something that might detect that 2 second break in the stream between songs and create a new file for each song. (the way StreamRipper does for web radio...and there still might be something like that in Total Rec that i haven't found).

for the time, i convert the whole thing to mp3 via Blade, and then use MP3 Trim to just trim and save each file.

btw, if you're an 80's type swooning geezer like me, i highly recommend Duran Duran at the Hammersmith Odeon - good playlist, great quality
Old 29-12-06, 02:24 AM   #39
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona_A_Stone View Post
Entrepreneur Bill Sagan once came upon a fleet of 40 foot trucks filled to bursting with 60's and 70s music memorabilia collected by rock impresario Bill Graham, and bought the whole lot for about 6 million: photographs, posters, tickets, any and everything you can imagine, including thousands of high quality soundboard recordings of the biggest rock stars of the time caught in the act. This collection was the impetus for Wolfgang's Vault--originally created to sell off bits of these archives and now mostly hawking reproductions on T-shirts and coffee mugs etc. More interestingly, the site also allows visitors to stream these never released live recordings of Cream, The Doors, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Floyd, The Stones, Zappa and others.

Well, man your streamrippers and get 'em while they're hot if you're interested folks, because these recordings may soon disappear (into the P2P Underground, at least). Members of Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Grateful Dead and Carlos Santana are taking Sagan to federal court friday to sue his pants, and most likely his website, off. Stay tuned.
wondering why the dead are suing, they let people record thier shows??

but anyway...

GREAT SITE!!

wow

i wish i would have clicked this thread before today

streamripper eh?

after reding through this thread, it looks like you guys have agreed that total recorder is the ware to rip this site?
floydian slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-06, 05:56 AM   #40
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydian slip View Post
wondering why the dead are suing, they let people record thier shows??

but anyway...

GREAT SITE!!

wow

i wish i would have clicked this thread before today

streamripper eh?

after reding through this thread, it looks like you guys have agreed that total recorder is the ware to rip this site?
yup, i wondered that about the Dead too...

anyway, Total Rec has worked well for me...the only thing i cannot nail down is how to make the timer work, so i can schedule a show and have it stop recording automtically when the show is over..