P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > The Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

View Poll Results: What did you think of U2 at halftime?
Awesome, dude! 5 45.45%
Not bad at all. 1 9.09%
I'm thankful Brittany Spears was not involved in it. 3 27.27%
Sucked dead donkey dick! 0 0%
I was in the bathroom 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-02, 07:09 PM   #1
shoes58
Professional Curmudgeon

Question U2 Halftime show-Thoughts?

Well, U2 has been described by many pundits as the best rock band ever. While I don't agree with this sentiment, I DO believe they are in the top 5. I really was looking forward to the show. I thought 2 songs were not enough, but those 2 songs were absolutely fabulous. The banner of 9/11 victims was especially poignant. What did YOU think?

Last edited by shoes58 : 03-02-02 at 07:31 PM.
shoes58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-02, 07:30 PM   #2
Apache Rose
Bohemian

The performance was as expected.

The background brought tears to my eyes, again

Too many lost souls for nothing.
Apache Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-02, 10:04 PM   #3
Maze
Rebel With A Cause

Arrow

I'm sure it was rivoting and I hope to see it someday real soon.
Maze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-02, 05:21 PM   #4
thinker
Ex-Singular

Well, my dad hates U2, so I just hit a channel that isn't available so we could watch a blank screen during halftime. I did see bits and pieces though, and heard "Where The Streets Have No Name" on the radio this morning. Not bad, I guess.
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-02, 07:29 AM   #5
Jader
iniquitous

U2 is one of the few bands I've seen (also in person) that can consistently put on good shows and the halftime show was nothing short.

You could tell a few people didn't like The Edge as they were chucking their glow-sticks at him as he ran around the stage. I found that mildly amusing but then thought again.. ungrateful brats. You're at a sporting event some guys would give their testicles to be at witnessing one of the top performing bands in the world and you resort to throwing things on the stage. Little fukkers... should have been drug out into the streets of N'awlins, had their arms ripped off and been beaten to a bloody pulp with them.

'Where the Streets Have No Name" was a good choice, always liked that video where they're singing live above some city's streets on top of a building. Kinda like Rage Against the Machine's 'Sleep Now in the Fire', live public.
Jader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-02, 07:59 AM   #6
gazdet
.- -.. -- .. -.

Well I got to see an edited portion of the U2 show where they played "Where the Steets have no Name" on TV here ..and it rocked as always

Impressive backdrop effect for S11 too.

Looking forward to see them live one day. .
gazdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-02, 04:06 PM   #7
thinker
Ex-Singular

I think "Where The Streets Have No Name" was done in L.A. or in the immediate area.
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-02, 10:10 AM   #8
Maze
Rebel With A Cause

Yes, pretty sure that video was done on the roof of a building in L.A. ...a free unexpected show in the streets by none other than U2 no doubt caused a major headache for the police on duty at the time.

The last time I saw them in concert was quite a long time ago. They gave a show at the L.A. Forum somewhere around the time of "Joshua Tree". At one point towards the end it was...ethereal. Can't think of any other word to describe it. It was like you were with many other people at some higher place.

By the way, Joshua Tree National Monument is in the middle of...

<This is a joshua tree

...the California desert and was my favorite place to go hiking and trip on mushrooms...lol ...I freaked out one time and thought I saw a rattlesnake around every rock. The whole place kinda looks like Mars anyway...much less if you're high.>

I'd like to say I photographed the above pics, but I didn't. My good ones are on slides.
However, I did take the two below.

I love it! We'd stay for 3 or 4 days at a time. I'm not much of a climber or anything, but that terrain pretty much insists you become one. While looking for a Joshua Tree pic, I also found this one of my friend's geodesic dome home in Topanga Canyon, CA. I always thought it was so cool. He built it himself. This was when it was first built. Eventually the whole thing was covered with those plants and flowers. It was about 5 floors...much larger than it appears here. An outdoor hot tub in the back overlooks an incredible view.>

I have now seen the U2 superbowl halftime show. It was so moving because of the audience reaction to the backdrop of scrolling names of people we lost at the World Trade Center. That tall, vertical backdrop eerily resembled the Trade Center itself ...so when they let it drop and it had that wavy motion as cloth will do, it was spooky. Obviously reminiscent of when the towers crumbled.

They performed the song very well too. Good show! All through this moving tribute, I kept thinking Bono is looking just a tad on the "paunchy" side...lol

...pardon me for hijacking the thread with pics...lol
Maze is offline   Reply With Quote