P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 24-06-02, 05:50 AM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Thumbs up WinMX 3.21 update connects quicker

and seems to run better.

"This new version contains a drastically improved network as well as several minor bug fixes."

http://www.winmx.com/download/
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-02, 09:22 AM   #2
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

Thy screwed up the bandwidth throttle. It's limiting lower than actually set to limit.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-02, 09:35 AM   #3
goldie
yea, it's me.

Guess moving to 3.22 is a do it or ELSE improvement.

Edited: My bad for typing the wrong numbers!

I haven't been able to connect w/3.21 since I opened it this a.m.

Last edited by goldie : 24-06-02 at 03:20 PM.
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-02, 12:37 PM   #4
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Visiting the Pub, does wonders for WinMx

This morning I saw the invitation to try winMx 3.21, but as usual none of the mirrors had the right version, despite the WinMx site stating 321 was the latest...

So, I went to the pub for a cooling beer (well not really cooling, because us Brits don't like real numbing cold beer, like SOME countrymen do) but anyway I digress..

So coming back from the Pub, feeling I could not care really if there was a WinMx 3.29 even, I logged in, and of course you are all ahead of me now.... there it was WinMx 3.22, no NOT 3.21 but 3.22, so 3.21 never did get to grace my PC... Wonder what was wrong with it?

322 seems to be OK so far... time will tell, perhaps we should go back to a Beta version again, ready for the workup to 3.3?

Snark ...
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-02, 01:06 PM   #5
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by ssj4_android
Thy screwed up the bandwidth throttle. It's limiting lower than actually set to limit.
yeah, and turning it off doesn't help that much either. with it on and set to 9000 i'm uploading four files at a total combined speed of 500 bytes per second! but turning it off only brings it to aproximately 3500. needless to say, no-one's sticking around to complete a file. btw, the same goes for v3.22.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-02, 02:10 PM   #6
ATSBod

I can't connect to WinMX at all tonight ...
Old 24-06-02, 03:49 PM   #7
nanook
just one of the gang...

ahhhhhhh, the trusty ol' 2.6 is still rocking out for moi!!!

now, will i have to upgrade people??????

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-02, 04:23 PM   #8
pod
Bumbling idiot

And if any of you whiners spent 10 seconds reading a couple lines of text on the options page you'd know that the bandwidth limit INCLUDES network bandwidth, not just the transfers.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-02, 05:46 PM   #9
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

They changed it while I wasn't looking? That still doesn't explain why it's limiting total upload speed to 15000 when I have a bandwidth limit of 30000 and 7KB out, 10.5 KB in allocated for PC.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-02, 08:44 PM   #10
JackSpratts

("make a secondary connection to the network") appears to be the winmx equivalent of choosing to not act as a supernode on fasttrack. [dry critique]however on ft the program gives bandwidth priority to your actual transfers, while the new winmx seems to favor priority for network traffic, and that is a huge difference, one not made clear on the grammatically challenged settings page. furthermore, creating the secondary x seems to change the search results for the worse - in both u&d directions[/dry critique]. it does however fix the bandwidth throttle quite nicely. thanks pod.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-02, 02:16 AM   #11
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Curses, there's me thinking I had the answer?

Thanks Js, couldn't work out how you figured the B/W didn't work, it is fine here, but I only use a secondary conection, as it baulks with my 233 processor on a primary.

I tried the primary on my other machine (AMD K6 2/500) and found the 128k capped cable was being gobbled up too much by the network requirments, so reading the "Gramatically challanged" section in the setup, I adopted the secondary conection for both machines, out of neccessity.

However If I need to do serious search, I can fire off No 2 PC on the primary, find the files, and download them on the No 1 PC.

Seems to work for me...

Since the demise of AG I must say that WinMx (WNP) is absolutely full of non-sharers, I assume have come over in desparation to get their file sharing fix... I welcome ALL but please make an effort to share SOMETHING, before yout start to get your fill of what we have collected over the years...

Snark... (Hmmmmmm)
Old 25-06-02, 02:25 AM   #12
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Upgrade... NOT if you don't want to?

now, will i have to upgrade people??????

Nanook, not if you are happy to use the Opennap servers, but I do notice the WNPN is only a former shadow of its once GREAT self.

WinMx (don't you love ALL Canadians?) seems to have succeeded in fragmenting the network totaly, what with its incompatibility between 2.6 (WPNP) and 3.0 (WNP) and a different protocol for both 3.1 & now 3.2 (They Say)

Hopefully it will settle eventually, perhaps when new features like direct browse are added (Big Hint to Winny), the auto-retry WORKS under all conditions (and sticks), the PLAY option works with other than WinAmp player, then we may be getting there just a little).

Snark... (I still see users with winMx 2.5, one even has 2.1)

Old 25-06-02, 02:30 PM   #13
pod
Bumbling idiot

Well, agreed, I don't like the new bandwidth settings at all, but it's better than nothing, or some other solutions. Also, being a secondary is really sucky for searches. A secondary doesn't get very many connections, and even a simple primary will have at most 5-6 network connections. My well connected work machine is using primary and the highest network speed setting, and I easily gets up to 15 network connections. Believe me, the search difference is AMAZING. I've seen search results with 50+ sources, whereas my home machine would barely get any hits at all.

BTW, the easiest way to get rid of freeloaders is to unshare your 'popular' (as in radio play) files. I find virtually all freeloaders are downloading either 'moby - we are all made of stars' or 'no doubt - hella good'. They're probably one-time users, just checking things out.

As for fragmentation, I don't think that's a problem. There is room enough for all kinds of P2P apps. 2.6 users will eventually switch to 3.2 as more and more do so. 3.x will migrate to the latest 3.x even quicker, as they're already converted to WinMX 3. eDonkey is now going serverless, which is shitty because I probably won't have enough bandwidth/cpu to run both eDonkey and WinMX at the same time. And really, that's the only problem with this 'fragmentation'.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-02, 08:18 PM   #14
nanook
just one of the gang...

thanks, snark!
i will wait and see what happens with this new version.
i will check in on you pros from time to time.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote