P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 17-02-05, 12:34 PM   #1
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Sleepy Italian DJ gets $1.8 million fine for downloading music

p2pnet.net:

Quote:
Italian DJ nailed by local RIAA

p2pnet.net News:- A "well known" Italian DJ has been lumbered with Europe's biggest fine for alleged music downloading.

He’s been ordered to pay $1.8 million (e1.4 million ) and also faces criminal prosecution, law enforcement officials working Big Music cartel enforcers say.

“The fine follows a raid mounted by Italian police earlier this week on a popular nightclub in Rieti, a town between Rome and Assisi,” says The Register.

“During the investigation, officers seized over 2,000 MP3 files and 500 music videos.

“FIMI, the Italian equivalent of the Recording Industry Ass. of America (RIAA), welcomed the whopping fine. ‘We hope this precedent will serve as a deterrent for those who are thinking of doing the same," said FIMI director Enzo Mazza’.”

The RIAA has now notched up 8,500 lawsuits against Americans who share music with each other.

None of the cases has ever seen the light of day in a court.

Earlier this month, in France's first prosecution for file sharing, a teacher was nailed for e10,200 (almost 13,350).

The case sparked a huge outcry.
The game is getting pretty tough. Huh.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-05, 07:10 PM   #2
petriburg

Angry

If the RIAA quit this stupid sue everybody campaign, it would have an enormous positive effect on their trading account balance! One wonders what the total expenditure on legal fees would amount to up to this date !

"You are old, father William," the young man said,
"And you hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on you head -
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"
Lewis Carroll.
petriburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-05, 09:23 PM   #3
JackSpratts

italy is a country i'm familiar with. it is at once stunningly beautiful and proudly untamed. if i could live anywhere there are really only two places i’d seriously consider: the middle of nowhere or italy. the people are disarmingly strong, the women achingly gorgeous and fiercely passionate. laws are suggestions, and taxes afterthoughts. hasn’t stopped me from getting speeding tickets on the autostrada mind you but i always pay on the spot while my italian friends practice restraint. wait they say. things change. and it’s true. normally such a huge contraband fine would after a time be whittled down to a fraction, seemingly by osmosis. a missed deadline here, a mistyped document there and pretty soon 2 million becomes two thousand. it has always been thus. it is their nature. however if i was this dj, i might be a little more worried than usual. you see italy has been run by it's richest citizen for years now, and it's richest citizen owes his wealth to corporate welfare and copyrights. he is silvio berlusconi and if you took summner redstone, kirk kerkorian, rupert murdoch, john malone, micheal eisner and a dozen other creepy media rodents in the states and melded them together in some awful, unhuman amalgam from your worst kolchak the nightstalker corporate nightmares you might begin to approach the unholy power this guy holds over bella italia and europa. reason alone to toss the whole rancid crew of media moguls and their sycophants out of the reichstag, brussles, congress and assorted parliaments of the west and right on their asses. until then this poor dj may be facing some hard choices i’m afraid. while the amount of the copyright fine is so excessive as to constitute cruel and unusual punishment (in case the riaa is salivating about pulling it here), when you consider dj’s promote music and contribute heavily to record sales, it’s an outrage this happened at all.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote