P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 02-03-02, 04:35 AM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Thumbs down Morpheus doesn't deserve your loyalty people

Keep in mind they trashed the forums alot of you guys loved.
Kazaa was the original FastTrack client, MusicCity just cloned Kazaa.
The new Morph is just a bad clone of Gnucleus with an ad bar added for your pleasure.
Streamcast was going to leave the FastTrack network anyway to hook up with Rebol.
If you tell your boss that you're going to quit soon whenever you feel like it there's a good chance he'll fire you on the spot.
The name Morpheus now should mean as much to you as the name Napster. If they come up with a great proprietary network soon then fine but for now there simply is no Morpheus.

http://www.rebol.com/news1a31.html
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-02, 04:56 AM   #2
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Originally posted at Zeropaid
Re:morphueus/too old (modified 1 times) Date Posted: 03-01-2002 09:54:13 A.M.

Buzz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are people loyal to the program Morpheus, or to a spyware\adware free client for the FastTrack Network. One could remain loyal to the name Morpheus, and switch to a new protocol\network or switch to another client (Grokster perhaps?) and remain loyal to FastTrack... It will be interesting to see which of the two wins out...

====================
No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-02, 05:28 AM   #3
multi
Thanks for being with arse

i think i will be throwing out the new morpheus,
if it could connect to fast track as well that would be differnt
cant connect toany thing not even the web page home!
at least bearshare and xolox can get on the gnutella network tried a lot of different configuations in preferences still nothing

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-02, 05:35 AM   #4
BuzzB2K

I managed to get connected, did several searches, had one successful download and had 42 uploads... wee!

I have already uninstalled it and will stick to Grokster\WinMX\eDonkey for now (not necessarily in that order)
Old 02-03-02, 08:32 AM   #5
JackSpratts

Maybe it's genetic, I don't know, but I've been never been able to have too many file sharing apps! I like them all in concept. I'm going to keep it.

Streamcast will know by today what the entire planet thinks of their little baby. They'll know that you can't slap something together at the last second and expect people to embrace it as the New Morpheus! If they have half a brain they'll be working mightily to create the “real one”, and I'll be here when they do.

It helps to remember why this happened. The gangster tactics used by the RIAA saw the Dutch fine Fasttrack out of existence, forcing them to sell their assets to Sharman, fracturing the whole network. The suits against Kazaa, grokster and Morpheus, have everyone on the ropes, fighting for their own existence, and that usually means fighting against each other. Divide and conquer up close.

So the best thing I can think of to do is to not allow RIAA tactics to work. The way I do that is by using these products and working for the community.

It's hard to remember this but there are 6 billion of us.

And just a few hundred of them.

No way they can win this one!

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-02, 09:17 AM   #6
goldie
yea, it's me.

Njah Njah

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
Maybe it's genetic, I don't know, but I've been never been able to have too many file sharing apps! I like them all in concept. I'm going to keep it.

Streamcast will know by today what the entire planet thinks of their little baby. They'll know that you can't slap something together at the last second and expect people to embrace it as the New Morpheus! If they have half a brain they'll be working mightily to create the “real one”, and I'll be here when they do.

It helps to remember why this happened. The gangster tactics used by the RIAA saw the Dutch fine Fasttrack out of existence, forcing them to sell their assets to Sharman, fracturing the whole network. The suits against Kazaa, grokster and Morpheus, have everyone on the ropes, fighting for their own existence, and that usually means fighting against each other. Divide and conquer up close.

So the best thing I can think of to do is to not allow RIAA tactics to work. The way I do that is by using these products and working for the community.

It's hard to remember this but there are 6 billion of us.

And just a few hundred of them.

No way they can win this one!

- js.
Kindof like sitting on one of those wooden horse contraptions wouldn't ya say?

I'll admit it. I uninstalled Morpheus for the first time since April, 2001 and reinstalled it within an hour of that LOL.

Why? Because I don't want to lose hope that my options for giving and receiving has been reduced by one more program.

It sits here unused and unopened. Yes, it's worthless for finding what I need at the moment.........one day it might not be.

Now - back to Winnie, AGa and shortly.......Blubster
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-02, 09:45 AM   #7
RDixon

Default Re: Morpheus doesn't deserve your loyalty people

Quote:
Originally posted by napho
If you tell your boss that you're going to quit soon whenever you feel like it there's a good chance he'll fire you on the spot.
Telling the boss that for me never got me fired; it got me raises and the ability to take a few days off at will with no fear of reprisals.
Of course after a few times the boss got wise to it and whenever I mentioned to him that I thought it was time for a career change he would imediately reply with; " damnit, you're not coming to work tommorrow are you?"

As for the whole Morpheus/Grokster/FastTrack fiasco; well I never trusted any of them from the beginning so it really doesn't affect me, other than it will be fun to watch as the story developes and more lies come out.
Old 02-03-02, 10:32 AM   #8
phateboard

keep in mind that morphus created the forum you guys loved, also keep in mind that what you saw, was a preview, to give you guys something to see to hold you off till they get the real thing going, and give them a break, i dont see you guys working you but off to keep file sharing alive, their doing their best, and if you dont support them then you dont know how good youve got it, you got some dedicated people spending most of their time tryan to keep what we have left alive, and you guys are to stuborn to support them, its not perfect, lets give up on them, not give them a chance, they need users to keep making morphus, so, no you cant just not use it untill they come out with a better one. im no big morphus user, in fact i hardly used it aT all but they are in trouble right now, and i dont think you should give up on them this easy
phateboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-02, 10:57 AM   #9
phateboard

it looks like a pretty good program to me, except for it not being able to download at amaziing speeds.
Old 02-03-02, 11:07 AM   #10
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by phateboard going, and give them a break, i dont see you guys working you but off to keep file sharing alive [/b]
How does one work their butt off to keep file sharing alive? I thought the biggest support is when you click on that program, it connects, and the next thing you know, there are terrabytes of shared files on the network. What better support than that. If the program works, people will use it. If not, you use something that woorks better and down the road if that program improves, you go back and try it again and if it works, it will be used.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-02, 02:07 PM   #11
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

It is just something slapped together. And it's a preview, not the final version. I hope they make a better one, they probebly will. Until then, no morpheus.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-02, 05:06 PM   #12
phateboard

well for one, file sharing programs dont just come out of the blue, you have to ... use a programming language to Program them, i guess all this time you just thought they appeared? and sometimes you have to work your but off to create them, and update them. just thought id let you know.
Old 02-03-02, 05:27 PM   #13
zombywoof

New p2p apps appear almost every day. So yes, in a sense they do come out of the blue. I click on various links and I come across new ones. I'm not writing them but someoone is. It's good that there are people with the skill to do this because i don't write software. I use their products and that should be their reward. They will benefit too when they can downnload my files that I worked hard to share.
Old 02-03-02, 05:31 PM   #14
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by phateboard
well for one, file sharing programs dont just come out of the blue, you have to ... use a programming language to Program them, i guess all this time you just thought they appeared? and sometimes you have to work your but off to create them, and update them. just thought id let you know.
You're right. The guys who programmed Gnucleus put in alot of work, then Streamcast came along and took their product and call it Morpheus. Their only contribution was adding advertising.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-02, 05:57 PM   #15
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by napho

You're right. The guys who programmed Gnucleus put in alot of work, then Streamcast came along and took their product and call it Morpheus. Their only contribution was adding advertising.
Morpheus also did the same thing when it dropped the opennap platform and hooked on to Kazaa.
Old 02-03-02, 07:07 PM   #16
phateboard

what other choice did they have .
Old 02-03-02, 07:35 PM   #17
BuzzB2K

Post Enough allready phateboard...

Quote:
Originally posted by phateboard
keep in mind that morphus created the forum you guys loved, also keep in mind that what you saw, was a preview, to give you guys something to see to hold you off till they get the real thing going, and give them a break, i dont see you guys working you but off to keep file sharing alive, their doing their best, and if you dont support them then you dont know how good youve got it, you got some dedicated people spending most of their time tryan to keep what we have left alive, and you guys are to stuborn to support them, its not perfect, lets give up on them, not give them a chance, they need users to keep making morphus, so, no you cant just not use it untill they come out with a better one. im no big morphus user, in fact i hardly used it aT all but they are in trouble right now, and i dont think you should give up on them this easy
OK phateboard – How ‘bout you keep this in mind?
There's about 14 or 15 of us who used to post on the MusicCity Forum, several thousand posts between us. We did their tech support, answered questions, helped users get the most from Morpheus. What did we get out of doing this for them? They just shut the board down with no warning losing a lot of good information in the process. As to people working their butts off to provide us with the software to use, someone has put in al lot of work providing the tools for us, but it sure wasn't anyone from MusicCity\Streamcast. Twice they have pulled their users off the network they were on and given us a "New" repackaged program with their name pasted on it so as to who is giving up on whom...
Old 02-03-02, 09:07 PM   #18
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

Come to think of it, music city never really made their own origional network/program. First they used opennap, an open project. Then they used kazaa, but basically just changed the pictures and startpage. Now this with gnucleus.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-02, 11:07 AM   #19
zombywoof

Default Re: Enough allready phateboard...

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K

OK phateboard – How ‘bout you keep this in mind?
There's about 14 or 15 of us who used to post on the MusicCity Forum, several thousand posts between us. We did their tech support, answered questions, helped users get the most from Morpheus. What did we get out of doing this for them? They just shut the board down with no warning losing a lot of good information in the process. As to people working their butts off to provide us with the software to use, someone has put in al lot of work providing the tools for us, but it sure wasn't anyone from MusicCity\Streamcast. Twice they have pulled their users off the network they were on and given us a "New" repackaged program with their name pasted on it so as to who is giving up on whom...
A good point. As well, there were a number of us who did the same thing at the napster software forum, be their unpaid tech support. That was alright, I figured the person I help may be the one I download that hard to find song from one day and in some small way, help the user base grow. Also I have received a lot of good help from there too. That's what it was all about..Helping one another.
Old 03-03-02, 02:02 PM   #20
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Default Re: Enough allready phateboard...

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K

Sorry everyone, I just had to repeat it because it is a very good point. Sure, except for Napster, all the p2p are pretty much free and I don't expect much service from them, but when you screw over the community that was trying to help them, then they can't really ask for our support. (as Buzz says...no warning, no explaination, they still haven't really said anything about the forums being down but they were pretty quick to make a comment on the security issue) We the users were keeping Morpheus alive because I'm sure a majority of users asking questions would've gone to other programs if not for the help of kind people like Buzz and a handful of others ...and what did they do?....screw us over with shuttting down the forums and screw us again by not stating that the new Morpheus is really a new different program.

There are a bunch of "lost" people angered and sadden that they have spent hours or days on a download and don't know how to finish them. Most of them don't know about other forums like this one, and are completey left in the dark. According to Buzz, they aren't getting much help from the Morpheus chatrooms.

If Morpheus does turn out to be a good p2p program then I'll use it, but I'm sure not going to help them get there...seeing as how they like to screw over users that help them.

Quote:
by Oscar
That's what it was all about..Helping one another.
completely agree

Last edited by JohnDoe345 : 03-03-02 at 02:27 PM.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote