P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 06-01-02, 11:22 PM   #1
JackSpratts

Default Morpheus Nukes Forum

Musiccity (Streamcast Networks) destroyed 1000s of help posts and comments from its forums over the weekend. The purge, affecting work and ideas arbitrarily from people all over the world, was done abruptly and without warning - giving thread creators no chance to provide alternate sites or to back-up months of effort directed at helping Morpheus users overcome difficulties with this notoriously bug ridden but popular program. Why this was done now is a matter of great speculation among angry board regulars, some of whom, including myself, have seen thousands of posts disappear.

My guess is they're cleaning their boards in anticipation of a major release and don't want any bastard kids coming down from the attic and spoiling the party.

Streamcast offers no comment.

- js.

Last edited by JackSpratts : 07-01-02 at 12:22 AM.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-02, 12:02 AM   #2
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Unhappy

Sorry to hear about that Jack, I know how much time and energy you alone have contributed to helping people in there... reminds me of the similar information wipeouts that happened on the Napster boards....

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-02, 09:08 AM   #3
Moist_Funny_Head
Steal this avatar and you die my friend....and then you die.

Mad

That's nothing new for them really, although this time it was alot more than usual. I've had a few posts deleted from the forum over there, probably for spreading a few truths that they didn't want to get out. When they start charging (and you know they will) they will fall on there face.
Moist_Funny_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-02, 12:44 PM   #4
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl
Sorry to hear about that Jack, I know how much time and energy you alone have contributed to helping people in there... reminds me of the similar information wipeouts that happened on the Napster boards....

- tg
I noticed that Aimster shut their forum too. They had a nice program until they screwed it up and when people complained about the new version crashing they shut down the forum. Plus being sued didn't help.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-02, 04:27 PM   #5
nanook
just one of the gang...

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl

- tg
i agree, tankgirl........mr. spratts was the name that always drew me into a thread, just because he's so nice and always has great information and tons of patience.
i would like to thank u, for all the peeps over at the forum!

can't wait to see just what it all means, though i have my suspicions.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-02, 11:18 PM   #6
JackSpratts

thanks nanny, napho, walberg & tg. appreciated.

it was a bad move by streamcast but it's over i hope and i'm back on the air w/my new open column, keeping the mods reaching for the thorazine. actually, i'm pretty easy on the little app compared to some...

and guess what? don't tell anyone but i found the "purged" threads. they didn't go very far, they're still on the server! they're de-linked, but not deleted. why it's delightful. we may use a few for "private" posts. oh baby.

- js.
Old 08-01-02, 01:08 AM   #7
Maze
Rebel With A Cause

I remember well the "wipeouts" at the old Napster forum TankGirl is referring to. For some reason, I think I was the most pissed off about it ...lol. I just always felt like some good and memorable times ...the beginnings of Napster ya know? ...were safely tucked away ...then all of a sudden one day ...boom!

I especially felt for a poster named Some1 who was so helpul to many and solved lots of problems ...aside from Napster ...stuff you could refer back to. Always felt like they should've paid him ...hmph ...soon maybe they can afford to.

I had just started to follow you there JackSpratts 'cause I wondered what you were up to over there...hehe. Listen, take my advice and save anything you think might be worth saving 'cause the Napster forums were still on the server and "de-linked" as you say, and I discovered them, but soon ...they too dissappeared for all time.

Thanks for the link! Ill probably see ya there.
Maze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 09:29 PM   #8
nanook
just one of the gang...

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
thanks nanny, napho, walberg & tg. appreciated.

it was a bad move by streamcast but it's over i hope and i'm back on the air w/my new open column, keeping the mods reaching for the thorazine. actually, i'm pretty easy on the little app compared to some...

and guess what? don't tell anyone but i found the "purged" threads. they didn't go very far, they're still on the server! they're de-linked, but not deleted. why it's delightful. we may use a few for "private" posts. oh baby.

- js.
js...somehow, i just knew u would get your hands on them.
heeheehee.
u r just way to smoooooooooooooth!!!!!!!!

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-02, 12:38 AM   #9
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

I had a look at the post-wipeout Morpheus forum and I gotta say what you are doing there Jack is great - your help thread is a great service especially to the inexperienced Morpheus users. You are so friendly and practical in your advising that even the shy ones dare to ask their questions... knowledable, fast and friendly peer help, something that Music City never managed to organize themselves!

- tg
Old 12-01-02, 11:34 AM   #10
JackSpratts

thanks for the compliment tg it's appreciated especially under these circumstances. since my post above that column and its' follow-up have been closed by streamcast .

my latest. they seem to last about 2 days now.

they are aggressively "discouraging" help queries of any kind. in the last half hour EVERY post in "Questions" was purged, but interestingly they left the thread itself...

- js.
Old 12-01-02, 11:52 AM   #11
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts

they are aggressively "discouraging" help queries of any kind. in the last half hour EVERY post in "Questions" was purged, but interestingly they left the thread itself...

- js.

You might be better off band together with the current people that you help there and form some sort of unofficial morpheus forum. The people who run the show over there I'm sure have their own agenda anyway.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-02, 09:03 PM   #12
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally posted by oscar

... I'm sure have their own agenda anyway.
...a lesson well-learned in the Napster forums.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-02, 11:38 PM   #13
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by theknife

...a lesson well-learned in the Napster forums.
You got that right..Remember rhallar?
Old 15-01-02, 07:11 AM   #14
goldie
yea, it's me.

Big Wheeling Grin Hi JS

Just wanted to let you know I'd made it over here.

Nice forum, happy to see Tankgirl here also.
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-02, 07:18 AM   #15
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Warmly welcome to the forum goldenrod - great to see you here!

Jack has been doing a great job here keeping us updated about what is going on with Morpheus and helping with people's questions... make yourself at home and have fun goldenrod - you don't have to fear that any valuable p2p info gets nuked in here... we'll do our best to keep it available not only to Napsterites but for anybody interested in it.

- tg
Old 15-01-02, 10:36 AM   #16
JackSpratts

hey gr,

glad you made it indeed! hope you like the place. i first met tg at mc/sc too and she told me about this board as well.

maybe we'll get a little sc expatriot community going, a refugee camp as it were where all are welcome.

enjoy yourself!

- js.
Old 15-01-02, 02:53 PM   #17
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default I hear ya JS

Glad there's a safe place to come to, I was feeling pretty homeless for a while there. Being new and knowing a couple people here is a bonus!

As far as sc is concerned, I'm afraid they have a lesson or two to learn: "What goes up, must eventually come down".

I finally dl'd that pdf file off the eff site - RIAA/Grokster complaint. I saw they even brought up the discussion boards and chatrooms being used as a way to advertise filenapping.

So, I'm starting to believe that they've shut down the boards because of the court proceedings - still, it's no excuse for slapping everyone in the face the way they have. No warnings or anything, just one post deletion after another and if that's how they treat they're users, I can't even begin to imagine how they'd treat their "customers" - blech! GR wants no parts of that.

Thank goodness there's a huge variety of programs out there and a gal can still get her 'fix' when the mood strikes her!

I've got a lot of reading to do on these boards - I really think I'm gonna love it here.

GR
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-02, 04:45 PM   #18
zombywoof

Default Re: I hear ya JS

Quote:
Originally posted by goldenrod
Glad there's a safe place to come to, I was feeling pretty homeless for a while there. Being new and knowing a couple people here is a bonus!

Gets a bit crazy here at times but in the peer-peer forums there are discussions on various p2p platforms.

As far as sc is concerned, I'm afraid they have a lesson or two to learn: "What goes up, must eventually come down".

Not Really. They know what they are doing. Napster did basically the same thing with their forums when the heat was on them in the courtroom.

I finally dl'd that pdf file off the eff site - RIAA/Grokster complaint. I saw they even brought up the discussion boards and chatrooms being used as a way to advertise filenapping.

I don't really follow the day-day goings on with musiccity and streamcast but it makes sense that by shutting down the board, they want to cover their tracks

So, I'm starting to believe that they've shut down the boards because of the court proceedings - still, it's no excuse for slapping everyone in the face the way they have. No warnings or anything, just one post deletion after another and if that's how they treat they're users, I can't even begin to imagine how they'd treat their "customers" - blech! GR wants no parts of that.

No, they are not worried about a message board and the people who use them because they are in court and if/when they go to a pay service the only customers they will be concerned with will be the subscription paying ones. In the end, it will be the computer novice that will pay. Not the people who do a little digging and know about all the other peer-peer apps.

Thank goodness there's a huge variety of programs out there and a gal can still get her 'fix' when the mood strikes her!

Yes there are.

I've got a lot of reading to do on these boards - I really think I'm gonna love it here.
GR

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by zombywoof : 15-01-02 at 04:50 PM.
Old 16-01-02, 09:40 AM   #19
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows I made it!

Jeez,
This board has some gadgets alright, woder if this 'Ol Boy will be able to handle them all?

So good to see old friends on here, hi to GR, JS and that wise 'ol maybe NOT SO 'ol socialite TankGirl.... Long time no see.

Well thats it for a first post, and thanks to the venerable fellow that assisted with the odd password problem, probably my fumbling? but. I'm Here. so there..

Snark.
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-02, 09:56 AM   #20
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Congratulations for making it here and warmly welcome to the forum, Snarkridden!

The amount of smilies and other gadgets on the board may be a bit overwhelming at first but you'll soon get used to them... and if you need any help with avatars or other goodies don't hesitate to ask either privately from admins/mods or publicly from members, you will find many helpful souls around here!

- tg