P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 12-08-01, 11:30 PM   #1
Yeah-I-Did-It

Default Morpheus 1.3.1

I understand that Morpheus 1.3.1 has been released while the Musiccity page still lists it as 1.3 Cnet lists it as 1.3.1 does this include all the spyware that Kazaa 1.3.1 has?? Has anyone tried it yet?
Old 13-08-01, 01:19 AM   #2
JackSpratts

Default Re: Morpheus 1.3.1

Quote:
Originally posted by Yeah-I-Did-It
I understand that Morpheus 1.3.1 has been released while the Musiccity page still lists it as 1.3 Cnet lists it as 1.3.1 does this include all the spyware that Kazaa 1.3.1 has?? Has anyone tried it yet?
the latest version of morppheus has been out for about a month. the official title is 1.3, but musiccity's always been a bit lax about their own numbers. if they released an interim update they haven't said anything and they'd usually shout so i don't think there's been one but if there has the changes were subtle. in any event, this version won't be replaced for another two months, at which point it'll be a whole new client.

as for spyware, there is none on morpheus. on kazaa yes and lots of it, but not on morpheus.

fasttrack, the low lands company that developed the engine calls thier own retail version kazaa. fasttrack also licenses the engine to anyone who wants to pay for it. how you market it is up to you. two companies have taken it so far. more are expected. musiccity is one. they call thiers morpheus and they distribute it with ads but no spyware. they seem to be genuinely against even the idea of spyware. it's certainly safe right now.

as for its' operation, if it works on your system it may be the best p2p out there (some people can't get it to connect or experience ram leaks). but at the very least it's tied for first.

- js.
Old 13-08-01, 03:07 AM   #3
Yeah-I-Did-It

Hmm?? Strange http://www.cdfreaks.com/ reported that it was new. So i checked into it on Musicity and nothing there but a check of cnet reports 1.3.1 added on Aug 10.
Kazaa released 1.3 about the same time as MC and they claim it to be a minor revision "1.3.1"

Could it be MC is quiet for a reason?
Old 13-08-01, 11:12 AM   #4
JackSpratts

as i said' it's possible mc is using a fasttrack minor upgrade. the program is buggy for some users, the worst are unconnectability, bit rates limited to 128 & a mem leak. i'm unaffected by those so i'm passing on the 1.3.1 if it's out.

but again, no spyware in morpheus. no cydoor etc. kazaa yes. morpheus no.

in any event, run ad-aware yourself and see.

it's a pretty good program and plans are being made to make it a really good one. you're missing out on something interesting by not using it. it's your choice of course, but there just isn't any downside. it's a clean app.

- js.
Old 13-08-01, 12:38 PM   #5
Yeah-I-Did-It

Yes I have used Morpheus in the past and the only thing that worked properly was the uninstall. I was just curious if it is still ok and stable now if it is I may try it but for now I have gone back to kazaa1.3 "with a regedit for searches above 128" after a clean sweep from Adaware that rendered 1.3.1 useless.

I have also been seeing reports that some users that have been switching to Morpheus or Grokster from Kazaa have had a hard time getting them to run. Some have had to clean their registry of Kazaa after the uninstall to get proper performance from Morpheus. Anyone had this problem??
Old 13-08-01, 02:01 PM   #6
JackSpratts

Quote:
I have also been seeing reports that some users that have been switching to Morpheus or Grokster from Kazaa have had a hard time getting them to run. Some have had to clean their registry of Kazaa after the uninstall to get proper performance from Morpheus. Anyone had this problem??
it's been reported. it's hit or miss. try the boards on mc but don't get freaked. if you go by the boards EVERYONE is having terrible problems of course but the fact is millions have morpheus and over 600,00 people are using it at any one time on a regular basis.

that's a lot of files moving around.

- js.
Old 13-08-01, 03:17 PM   #7
zombywoof

Quote:
Yes I have used Morpheus in the past and the only thing that worked properly was the uninstall. I was just curious if it is still ok and stable now if it is I may try it but for now I have gone back to kazaa1.3 "with a regedit for searches above 128" after a clean sweep from Adaware that rendered 1.3.1 useless.

I haven't had that problem and I run both kazaa and morpheus. I do however use kazaa over morpheus because by tweaking the registry in kazaa, I can find files above 128kb and I don't get the program error and shutdown that plagues me in morpheus.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-01, 04:29 PM   #8
napho

After uninstalling Morpheus/Grokster (maybe Kazaa) you still have a Kazaa key(maybe more) in your registry. I guess use F3 to eliminate any Kazaa references then install whatever cleanly.
Old 15-08-01, 12:46 AM   #9
JackSpratts

musiccity spokesperson mc2 denies existence of version 1.3.1. says other site had a premature posting but that when the upgrade is released it'll be called 1.3.2. (it will however still have the "parental control").

1.3.0 - 1.3.?. - 1.3.2.....hmmm.

- js.
Old 15-08-01, 05:11 PM   #10
Trippynet

Funny really. whilst I suffer extreme memory leaks with Morpheus 1.3, I do still use it over KaZaA, but ONLY for Music Videos. All my MP3s are 192K quality and Audiogalaxy has a much wider range of music than KaZaA/Morpheus. Alternatively, I sometimes use WinMX for audio as well.

Basically, limiting to 128K Audio, whatever their reasons, is a very silly thing to do because there are a surprisingly large number of people these days that own decent soundcards and run them through decent speakers or, like me, hifis, and who can easily tell the difference between a 128K MP3 and a 160K or 192K MP3. It bothers me as I am a bit of a quality freak and therefore, KaZaA/Morpheus will never dominate until this is removed.

Personally, I want Morpheus to do what WinMX have done. WinMX had the OpenNap problem, so they resolved it by making a new protocol which is now incredibly powerful. I will look forward to the day when MusicCity ditch KaZaA technology and move over to something more controllable and more stable.

as I have said before, the only thing that keeps KaZaA/Morpheus afloat, is the huge user base, and the multi-source downloading.

Dave!!
Old 15-08-01, 08:27 PM   #11
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by Trippynet
Basically, limiting to 128K Audio, whatever their reasons, is a very silly thing to do because there are a surprisingly large number of people these days that own decent soundcards and run them through decent speakers or, like me, hifis, and who can easily tell the difference between a 128K MP3 and a 160K or 192K MP3. It bothers me as I am a bit of a quality freak and therefore, KaZaA/Morpheus will never dominate until this is removed.
Dave!! [/b]

Start>Run>Regedit>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kazaa

There is a thing that says LimitBitrate on the right of your screen. Double click on it, and where it says "Value data:" there is a space below it. If its a 1, change that value to 0 and then you have the 128 kbps limit gone, and you will be able to find the higher bitrates using kazaa.
Old 15-08-01, 09:56 PM   #12
mike4947
I'd rather be sailing

Is this the same line you need to change for Morpheus 1.3. I'd much rather use it than Kanaa because of the spyware in Kazaa. Which by the way if you remove it disables Kazaa. I delete both, Kazaa because of the spyware and Morpheus because of the bit rate limit and severe memory leakage, even in 1.3, but I can put up with closing it out every 2 hours or so.
Old 15-08-01, 11:30 PM   #13
JackSpratts

Quote:
Funny really. whilst I suffer extreme memory leaks with Morpheus 1.3, I do still use it over KaZaA, but ONLY for Music Videos. All my MP3s are 192K quality and Audiogalaxy has a much wider range of music than KaZaA/Morpheus. Alternatively, I sometimes use WinMX for audio as well.

Personally, I want Morpheus to do what WinMX have done. WinMX had the OpenNap problem, so they resolved it by making a new protocol which is now incredibly powerful. I will look forward to the day when MusicCity ditch KaZaA technology and move over to something more controllable and more stable.

as I have said before, the only thing that keeps KaZaA/Morpheus afloat, is the huge user base, and the multi-source downloading.

Dave!!
trippy, that's not a limit, it's a bug that most users don't have. for those like you that do the reg fix is simple and posted. it involves changing a 1 back to a 0 which is the way it should have loaded. when done the limit is gone.

- js.
Old 16-08-01, 06:24 AM   #14
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by mike4947
Is this the same line you need to change for Morpheus 1.3. I'd much rather use it than Kanaa because of the spyware in Kazaa. Which by the way if you remove it disables Kazaa. I delete both, Kazaa because of the spyware and Morpheus because of the bit rate limit and severe memory leakage, even in 1.3, but I can put up with closing it out every 2 hours or so.
Yes, the registry entry is in the same path as the one for kazaa. When I checked it, it was already at 0.
Old 16-08-01, 04:27 PM   #15
Trippynet

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts

trippy, that's not a limit, it's a bug that most users don't have. for those like you that do the reg fix is simple and posted. it involves changing a 1 back to a 0 which is the way it should have loaded. when done the limit is gone.

- js.
It is a limit and not a bug. Check out KaZaA's FAQ and they tell you all about it. Also, I use Morpheus and not KaZaA (too much evil spyware in KaZaA), and the registry hack doesn't work for morpheus, in the fact that the "LimitBitrate" key doesn't exist.

Dave!!
Old 16-08-01, 06:02 PM   #16
JackSpratts

Quote:

It is a limit and not a bug. Check out KaZaA's FAQ and they tell you all about it. Also, I use Morpheus and not KaZaA (too much evil spyware in KaZaA), and the registry hack doesn't work for morpheus, in the fact that the "LimitBitrate" key doesn't exist.

Dave!!
it may be a limit in kazaa but in morpheus, run by musiccity - an entirely different company, the limiter is supposed to be disconnected - therefore it's a bug if it is connected. while most of thier users have no such limiter engaged, mc has acknowledged to those that do that it's an inconvienience and allowed the reg fix to be posted on thier site innumerable times. they've stated they're aware of it and are working on the patch.

- js.
Old 16-08-01, 06:12 PM   #17
mike4947
I'd rather be sailing

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts

it may be a limit in kazaa but in morpheus, run by musiccity - an entirely different company, the limiter is supposed to be disconnected - therefore it's a bug if it is connected. while most of thier users have no such limiter engaged, mc has acknowledged to those that do that it's an inconvienience and allowed the reg fix to be posted on thier site innumerable times. they've stated they're aware of it and are working on the patch.

- js.
The problem I've got Jack is I've cleaned out everything remotely resembling morpheus and Kazaa in the registry and still when I download it it comes up with 128 limit and their "fix" doesn't even exist in the 1.3 version I've downloaded. ? ? ?
Old 16-08-01, 07:09 PM   #18
zombywoof

I'm currently running both kazaa and morpheus v1.2.. Both apps have the bitrate setting in the registry. they are both set to 0 and I can find files >128k on either app. Perhaps that reg entry info changed in v1.3.
Old 16-08-01, 07:24 PM   #19
Yeah-I-Did-It

I run Kazaa 1.3.0 right now and the regfix works fine. But if there is one thing i have learned about any Fastrack client is that no two systems have the same symptoms. All are buggy all leak memory and the interface is awful in all of them.
Time for a code revision "I think". But for now it is here it is free and we all enjoy free stuff it's just unfortunate we all have to suffer through the bugs. But i would rather fight a bug than be subjected to spyware.
Old 16-08-01, 07:33 PM   #20
mike4947
I'd rather be sailing

Quote:
Originally posted by oscar
I'm currently running both kazaa and morpheus v1.2.. Both apps have the bitrate setting in the registry. they are both set to 0 and I can find files >128k on either app. Perhaps that reg entry info changed in v1.3.

I could fix 1.2 but it kept hogging memory so bad it crashed every hour on the hour. Can't find any enter in the registry for 1.3 that does anything.