P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 08-06-02, 07:50 AM   #41
AYB

You're thinking along the right lines
AYB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-02, 08:09 AM   #42
goldie
yea, it's me.

Thumbs up Re: Guess AYB's Company Name game

Quote:
Originally posted by StereoDeluxe

AAIR
I like it!!
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-02, 06:49 PM   #43
thinker
Ex-Singular

Quote:
Originally posted by AYB
And we're aware that dialup is still a significant section of the internet community so we don't want to make our app "broadband only"
At least some people still think so.
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-02, 07:03 PM   #44
goldie
yea, it's me.

Big Wheeling Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by thinker

At least some people still think so.
:P

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-02, 08:05 PM   #45
Scyth

Quote:
Originally posted by AYB
Open source is a bit of a tricky issue. We definately support the notion of open source and are referring to quite a lot of open source code in our development but at the same time we are hoping to get some kind of financial reward out of this app, and we just aren't sure what effect, if any, making it open source would have on this...
Why would making your program open source prevent you from profiting from it? You may want to put some sort of "no forking" clause in the source license, but I see so reason to restrict access to the source entirely.
Scyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-02, 03:14 AM   #46
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's
Unhappy Sig2Dat Quick Links & Opera

Quote:
Originally posted by SA_Dave
Version 3.10.a (2 June) fixes Opera issues.
Afraid it doesn't. It resolved the issue of spaces in quick link URLs (URLs can't have spaces in them, so they are converted to %20. Opera was not sifting out/converting back these %20s to spaces. Indy fixed the space issue by making Sig2Dat do the reconversion itself).

But now that you can actually click on links in Opera, and files will appear in your download window, they will always say "More Sources Needed"... because Opera has converted all letters in Hash to lowercase, so your FastTrack client will be searching for a file with a hash that does not exist.

I have no idea if Indy can do anything about this; the clicked link has been contaminated by the browser to contain plainly incorrect information: he could program Sig2Dat to look for %20s and convert them to spaces, but how can Sig2Dat know when a letter is supposed to really be lowercase or when uppercase?

this time it really is Opera's fault, I'm afraid, and it means for the moment having to stay with Exploder for quick links, or using Opera in the 'old-fashioned way', copying & pasting a text hash sig (if someone's bothered to post the full text hash, that is).

Respectfully,

Mark Weaver,
Director of Enforcement
MediaForce, Inc.
(212) 925-9997
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-02, 08:32 AM   #47
napho
Dawn's private genie

Default The noose is tightening

More companies ready to cap the amount you can dl/ul.

"A host of cable companies, including AT&T Broadband (T ), Charter Communications (CHTR ), Comcast (CMCSK ), and Cox Communications (COX ), are moving away from the old flat-fee pricing scheme that allowed users to download and transmit endless amounts of data (especially music, movies, and software) over high-speed connections. Instead, they're rolling out new pricing schemes that could put limits on bandwidth usage per month and charge users additional fees if they go above the limit."

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...20612_1108.htm
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-02, 09:44 AM   #48
Xman
It is well established that the RIAA, and only the RIAA, has the right to exploit artists.

Default Re: The noose is tightening

Quote:
Originally posted by napho
More companies ready to cap the amount you can dl/ul.

"A host of cable companies, including AT&T Broadband (T ), Charter Communications (CHTR ), Comcast (CMCSK ), and Cox Communications (COX ), are moving away from the old flat-fee pricing scheme that allowed users to download and transmit endless amounts of data (especially music, movies, and software) over high-speed connections. Instead, they're rolling out new pricing schemes that could put limits on bandwidth usage per month and charge users additional fees if they go above the limit."

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...20612_1108.htm
Well, the telco market is one big bloodbath with a lot of companies going into bankruptcy, chapter 11 and cutting back on employees. And since they're drastically reducing capex, they've got to make sure that they won't be forced to upgrade their network. And capping usage is a very efficient method.

In my two years of broadband usage, I've always had caps (15 GB shared by three ppl.). I can imagine that people with unlimited will find the new system stifling.

But it won't stay winter in telco land forever.
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote