P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 26-06-02, 08:46 AM   #21
JackSpratts

since the students and the past students (alumni) pay for the bandwidth, it's theirs to do with as they please. if they need more, they can pay for more. however in a practical sense if filesharing is using the lions share of the bandwidth, adding more and more may become a game of diminishing returns. as more and more capacity gets added, more and more gets used when the world around them learns of filesharing and discovers these big pipe hosts. in addition, the phone line option becomes less practical each year. american university for instance (my alma matter) has removed its' land lines and installed wi-fi. all comm needs from phones to internet in the dorms and throughout the 60 acre campus will be handled wirelessly starting in september. we'll start seeing this adopted by other institutions as well because the students demand high speed access wherever they are and the technology accomodates.

it may be better therefore to use applications with upload limiters. most have them now (ft and winmx come to mind immediately) and they work very well. the university would thus be better served educating their charges on conserving u/l bandwidth as opposed to eliminating its' use entirely. the students could then participate in the fun of "file broadcasting" and the gratifying social aspects surrounding it, while still doing their research in a timely manner.

the scorched earth duke university policy above is misguided and bound for failure. it teaches young people a miserable lesson about "sharing" and ignores a fulfilling aspect of the peer-to-peer experience. but a little compromise here and there would address the issues and fix them nicely.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-02, 10:51 PM   #22
Dovobis
Hey guyz

Quote:
Originally posted by Mazer
Nobody on NU leeches anyway, at least as far as I know, and if they do then they know that the rest of us object to it.
Well, I'm a leecher by no choice. I'm the second computer on my network and for the life of me can't figure out a way for others to upload my files.
The first computer on the network is running ME and I'm running 98SE and the amp is a Netgear hub. Tried all kinds of shit with no success.
It really gets me pissed when people start sending me hate messages cause they can't download from me.
I got some rare stuff that I'd like to share but for the time being, it's just not happening. So when the other users not home I simply plug directly into the phone jack and dial up with my modem and share away.
If anyone has any tips to fix my network problemo, let me know, I'm all ears.
Dovobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-02, 11:44 PM   #23
StereoDeluxe

Dovobis, are you on napsterites.dyndns.org ?
StereoDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote