P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 23-10-02, 04:19 PM   #1
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Mad Fakes: Getting Worse

I left the whole cd Joyful noise, from Derek Trucks Band queued overnight, and to my surprise in the morning i found out all files were fake.

That the RIAA is using fakes is not new news, but I want to point out two troublesome tendencies here;

First:
The number of fakes. I spent around two hours semi-downloading trash and gave up. It was impossible to find a single usable file. Even unsuspected users were spreading the fakes to my astonishment.
The Pseudo-users had multiple "accounts" in Kazaa, with really cheesy names like "hotvanessa", and with around 1000 fake files in average.

Second:
I don't believe DTrucks sells more than 100.000 copies, if at all, and is by no means a mainstream band, which suggests that the RIAA is willing to take the fight to the trenches, with the legal front unable to stop the trading online.

This groups have live shows 60+ megs long going around, so I'm specting them to release those as fakes any time now, sooner rather than later.

And the motherf@ckers manage to upload really slowly, so imagine a 56ker after 8 hours finding a 60 minutes endless loop.

I won't die for not listening to this CD, so I don't want anybody going the wild goose chase route just to get me the files.

My sole intention is to call attention to unattended d/ls and avoiding waste of time.

Sooner or later, I should say sooner, a solution must be found.

I wasted a couple of hours with this sh!t and came out empty handed.

Let's say that I'm a little, tiny, bitty, itty-bitty pissed off.

No kidding.

spstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-02, 02:06 PM   #2
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

I wonder if the RIAA realizes that actions like this will not kill p2p or make it easier for them to control. Besides alienating them even more from their customers it will only lead to the development of more advanced, more protected and more reliable p2p technology. Sure it will take a little time for the developers to implement the countermeasures but the technical solution to the fake problem already exists in the form of hash signatures.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-02, 07:38 AM   #3
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

GrinYes

Hmmm, aren't you preaching to the choir now TankGirl?

Last edited by SA_Dave : 26-10-02 at 07:58 AM.
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote