P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 25-07-01, 04:40 PM   #1
nanook
just one of the gang...

Question "exe." files????????????????

i have a cute little file, but it is an "exe." file.

can these be used on the Napsterites forum???

if not, can i save it to another format????

just wonderin'.

thanks!

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-01, 05:27 PM   #2
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Hi nanook,

simply upload the file somewhere and post a link to it. Check the guidelines for allowed linking (no program cracks etc.). As always, I advice everybody to use extra caution when downloading any executables from sources beyond well-known and reliable (your call) websites. Use an updated virus scanner before running any such EXEs.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-01, 06:32 PM   #3
nanook
just one of the gang...

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl
Hi nanook,

simply upload the file somewhere and post a link to it. Check the guidelines for allowed linking (no program cracks etc.). As always, I advice everybody to use extra caution when downloading any executables from sources beyond well-known and reliable (your call) websites. Use an updated virus scanner before running any such EXEs.

- tg
hi tg-

my brother sent it to me ages ago...if it did have a virus, i would know by now, wouldn't i????? i do have that adaware 4.55, and generally run it when i come on, if i've visited a lot of websites. it hasn't showed anything.......it does work for viruses doesn't it???

anyhoot.....it would kinda break up the monotony on the underground. but i like the idea of sending peeps there.

ok. thanks, u r your usual wonderful-quick-responding self

Old 25-07-01, 07:14 PM   #4
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by nanook
my brother sent it to me ages ago...if it did have a virus, i would know by now, wouldn't i????? i do have that adaware 4.55, and generally run it when i come on, if i've visited a lot of websites. it hasn't showed anything.......it does work for viruses doesn't it???
You're most likely safe with the EXE that you have but only a good and regularly updated virus scanner provides you a decent protection against trojans and viruses. Even then you have to be very cautious, especially with sources like binary newsgroups and p2p networks. Especially newsgroups are full of trojan and virii-contaminated executables.

Ad-Aware is a good tool for spotting and removing spyware but it does not help you with the virii.

- tg
Old 25-07-01, 07:28 PM   #5
Malk-a-mite

As TG said Ad-aware only looks for known spyware references in your Registry and files on the harddrive.

If you need Anti-Virus software (and it sounds like it) go here:
http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.cfm

It's configurable, it's good, it's updated, and best of all - it's free.

Also - just because you've had a file and you haven't noticed it doing anything doesn't mean it's not a virus/worm.

Many worms work quietly in the background using your computer to ping flood another system. You might never notice it.
===================
Malk-a-mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-01, 07:30 PM   #6
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by nanook
You're probably safe with the EXE that you got from your brother but only a good and regularly updated virus scanner provides you a decent protection against trojans and viruses. Even then you have to be very cautious with sources like binary newsgroups and p2p networks. Especially the newsgroups are full of trojan and virii-contaminated executables.

Ad-Aware is a good tool for spotting and removing spyware but it does not help you with the virii. The latest version is 5.5, I recommend upgrading to it.

- tg
Old 25-07-01, 07:48 PM   #7
mike4947
I'd rather be sailing

Hey little tank girl, ad aware is now up to 5.5
Old 25-07-01, 07:55 PM   #8
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Thanks for the correction, Mike!

I also updated the link itself to Lavasoft's new US site.

- tg
Old 25-07-01, 10:32 PM   #9
nanook
just one of the gang...

gee thanks Malk, tg, and Mikey!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here i thought i was protected from viruses.
I could have one right now as we speak, cause my brother uses outlook express for sending me funny stuff.

malk........i'm downloading that free avg 6.0 right now.

u guys can't even imagine how much i've learned about my computer and the internet from the old days and into the Napsterites.

i TRULLY appreciate your thoughtful information and responses.

i'll be a "geek" before u know it

to all of u (yeah, tg..u get a kiss too)

Old 26-07-01, 02:45 AM   #10
eclectica

I think the only thing you can physically leave on this forum is text. The rest can be linked to, but needs to be hosted somewhere online. For example, if I want to post an mp3 here, I could put it in my free online storage space provided by my internet provider, and then provide the link to it.

Actually, my internet provider only provides about 5 megabytes of space. I would like to have at least like 100 megabytes, so I could post some large files. They also ban exe files, so if I wanted to post one, I would have to change the extension, and someone would have to rename it after downloading it.

Nanook, send me your cute little exe file.
Old 26-07-01, 03:25 AM   #11
schmooky007
hi

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl
Ad-Aware is a good tool for spotting and removing spyware but it does not help you with the virii. The latest version is 5.5, I recommend upgrading to it.
yuppy
or go to fosi for the latest ad-aware pro version
(for whatever extra features it has)
schmooky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-05, 05:17 AM   #12
lamda

Users are sure to find in open dbx file and fix outlook express tool, simple yet versatile, to solve potential problems and stay in control of damaged dbx files in the safe folder.
lamda is offline   Reply With Quote