P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 29-08-02, 04:56 PM   #1
ReD

Default A new P2P Network protocol and client

Hey, I recieved email inviting me to these forums to post info about my project. so i thought i would swing by and sai hi.

Anyhow, I started developing a decentralized open source p2p networking protocol. And also a client for this protocol called Sphere. Over last 3 weeks we have had great interest, many developers joining team and users registering to be beta testers.

So i though i would post here this bit of info and maybe spark more interest. We still need more beta testers, developers and ideas we also want your comments and suggestions.

Click here to visit our site

A little about the protocol.

The protocol is a decentralised protocol which allows users to communicate and share files with other users accross a decentralized network. The protocol will support distributed chat and service sharing aswell as file and information sharing. In theory the network is as scallable as Fasttrack and if not more efficient and feature rich.

A little about the client.

The client we are creating will use this protocol to its fullest advantages. The program will feature a skinnable interface (hopefully), Multi-source, chunked and partial downloads, upload/download ratios, leech prevention, Distributed chat, Node pages, Service sharing, Searching for files and services probably alot more features when we get ideas.

I hope this interests anyone, we are working hard to create a free and open competitor for the top p2p programs you can find alot more information at our website, www.spherep2p.com and also download for our old alpha version.

My regards,
Lead Programmer
Mick W.
ReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-02, 05:37 PM   #2
JackSpratts

thanks for stopping in mick and giving us the latest info on what looks to be a great app. good-luck w/the project and feel free to tap the "massive braintrust" that is napsterites.net heh! enjoy our boards.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-02, 05:37 PM   #3
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink Re: A new P2P Network protocol and client

Hi Mick - and welcome to Napsterites!

Your project looks very interesting. I like the feature list and also your thoroughly decentralized approach. That's where the future of p2p lies. Good work so far - good luck to the project!

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-02, 06:24 PM   #4
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Big Laugh

Hi Mick. I'm the neighborhood dummy, so I won't comment. Welcome
Old 31-08-02, 04:01 PM   #5
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

What intrigues me is the integration of IRC, FTP & distributed webhosting into P2P! FTP is far too dynamic for certain "pursuits", especially if you don't have any options besides dialup, and this dynamically static system is what makes P2P in general so accessible. The content of IRC integrated into a familiar interface? I don't think that's completely possible considering the many differing networks, ops, rules, bots etc. It is an interesting idea & could be revolutionary if you get it right!
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-02, 05:03 PM   #6
ReD

I have no idea where you got this information from

Sphere only supports its own protocol, and http for hosting own website. Sphere features service sharing, which means other services you offer besides files you can share. As i stated somewhere, in an interview i believe. We described this service in full. www.ratiatum.com i think

Service sharing allows you to advertise these services, letting other users know your running them. If you run an IRC, Opennap or FTP server you can share it with the users of Sphere. They can then search for these services by keywords, when found lauch a defualt (set in options) client to launch to connect to that service. If you want to use a web service then Sphere will launch IE or netscape to connect to that service. If you want to use an IRC service, sphere will launch say mIRC or bitchx to connect.

hope this helps
Regards,
Mick W.
ReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-02, 06:17 PM   #7
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by ReD
Service sharing allows you to advertise these services, letting other users know your running them. If you run an IRC, Opennap or FTP server you can share it with the users of Sphere. They can then search for these services by keywords, when found lauch a defualt (set in options) client to launch to connect to that service. If you want to use a web service then Sphere will launch IE or netscape to connect to that service. If you want to use an IRC service, sphere will launch say mIRC or bitchx to connect.
Service sharing through p2p in this form is an excellent idea, kudos Mick! It is very lightweight in bandwidth terms but very potential in connectivity terms. You can expand the functionality of the network to non-p2p software while maintaining the community structure within the p2p domain.

You might want to have some sort of user group system to allow privileged sharing of services to group members. For example, most private FTP server owners would probably not want to advertise their servers publicly to the entire network.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-02, 07:36 PM   #8
SA_Dave

I apologise if I caused any confusion!

I understood your concept of "service sharing" and I believe it's a very good one! In the not-too-distant-future I believe the general 'open' internet, ftp, irc etc. will all be integrated into p2p. There are going to be pockets of resistance from corporations in particular, especially M$ as this integrated community could overshadow both .NET and their publicity budget. Your protocol and clients like Ares with integrated ftp are a step in the right direction. You're laying the cornerstones for this idealistic, utopian, democratic uber-net of PEOPLE, where freedom reigns. So to all those involved : you are the true pioneers!

Of course, this is all a pipe-dream and I may be alone in my thinking, but who knows?
Old 31-08-02, 07:44 PM   #9
Nicobie

Quote:
Originally posted by SA_Dave
I apologise if I caused any confusion! ...

where freedom reigns. So to all those involved : you are the true pioneers!

haha

SA, as in that DICK lowtax?

I sure hope you paid your $19.99 to Gaz in order to post here.

You must be a real suck-up to have SA in your nic.
Old 31-08-02, 08:00 PM   #10
SA_Dave

Uhmm... No.

SA can be taken to stand for many things, but in my case it stands for "South African."

Okay!
Old 31-08-02, 08:25 PM   #11
Nicobie

Quote:
Originally posted by SA_Dave
Uhmm... No.

SA can be taken to stand for many things, but in my case it stands for "South African."

Okay!
excellent