P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 15-09-08, 04:56 AM   #1
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

Default More Evidence That McCain Just Doesn't Get It

Lehman Brothers is dead. Bear Stearns is dead. Merrill Lynch is dead. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac?

How's your economy? How's John McCain's? What do the advisors he has wrapped himself in, insulating him from the troubles of the nation, think?

Fir we were a 'nation of whiners' who were engaged in a 'mental recession'. Now this:

Quote:
Quit Doling Out That Bad-Economy Line

By Donald Luskin
Sunday, September 14, 2008; Page B01

"It was the worst of times, and it was the worst of times."

I imagine that's what Charles Dickens would conclude about the current condition of the U.S. economy, based on the relentless drumbeat of pessimism in the media and on the campaign trail. In the past two months, this newspaper alone has written no fewer than nine times, in news stories, columns and op-eds, that key elements of the economy are the worst they've been "since the Great Depression." That diagnosis has been applied twice to the housing "slump" and once to the housing "crisis," to the "severe" decline in home prices, to the "spike" in mortgage foreclosures, to the "change" in the mortgage market and the "turmoil" in debt markets, and to the "crisis" or "meltdown" in financial markets.

It's a virus -- and it's spreading. Do a Google News search for "since the Great Depression," and you come up with more than 4,500 examples of the phrase's use in just the past month.

But that doesn't make any of it true. Things today just aren't that bad. Sure, there are trouble spots in the economy, as the government takeover of mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and jitters about Wall Street firm Lehman Brothers, amply demonstrate. And unemployment figures are up a bit, too. None of this, however, is cause for depression -- or exaggerated Depression comparisons.
And who does he blame for us 'thinking' we're worse off than we were 8 years ago? I'll give you three guesses and not even count the first two:

Quote:
Patient zero in this epidemic is the Democratic candidate for president. As it would be for any challenger, it's in his interest to portray the incumbent party's economic performance in the grimmest possible terms.
So, banks and mortgage lenders are failing and we're facing tougher economic times because Obama realizes it and has for some time? What a loon! How out of touch can one campaign be?

Quote:
Obama's hyperbole about our terrible economy
Odd though how he never mentions that he's editor and columnist for the National Review and a McCain campaign economic adviser.

Sweet. maybe his next book will be, 'Think Yourself To A Better Economic Future!'. Feckin' clueless twat.

Obama has been highlighting the problem for 6 YEARS! 6 FUCKING YEARS!

McCain has said on a number of occasions:

Quote:
"The issue of economics is something that I've really never understood as well as I should."
And so what did he say he'd be looking for in a Vice Presidential running mate?

Quote:
"I've never been involved in Wall Street, I've never been involved in the financial stuff, the financial workings of the country, so I'd like to have somebody intimately familiar with it," he said of a potential vice president.

"All of us bring strengths and weaknesses to an office and you want to compliment your weaknesses," he said. "That's not an admission of failure, it's just the best way to govern."
Country first? Really? And didn't you also promise someone strong on foreign policy? Didn't you? Well, didn't you? HELLO?!

Obama has it right, and you should open yourself to the possibility that he has a clue and look past the politics of the past.

Quote:
I certainly don’t fault Senator McCain for these problems, but I do fault the economic philosophy he subscribes to. It’s a philosophy we’ve had for the last eight years – one that says we should give more and more to those with the most and hope that prosperity trickles down to everyone else. It’s a philosophy that says even common-sense regulations are unnecessary and unwise, and one that says we should just stick our heads in the sand and ignore economic problems until they spiral into crises.

Well now, instead of prosperity trickling down, the pain has trickled up – from the struggles of hardworking Americans on Main Street to the largest firms of Wall Street.

Š

There's only one way off so you might as well enjoy the ride..

Naphoria - P2P Portal www.naphoria.com/chat

Napsterites mIRC v2 | Napsterites Chat

Last edited by Šiego : 15-09-08 at 05:26 AM.
Šiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-08, 10:06 AM   #2
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

Obama's full statement. Highlight mine.

Quote:
This morning we woke up to some very serious and troubling news from Wall Street.

The situation with Lehman Brothers and other financial institutions is the latest in a wave of crises that are generating enormous uncertainty about the future of our financial markets. This turmoil is a major threat to our economy and its ability to create good-paying jobs and help working Americans pay their bills, save for their future, and make their mortgage payments.

The challenges facing our financial system today are more evidence that too many folks in Washington and on Wall Street weren’t minding the store. Eight years of policies that have shredded consumer protections, loosened oversight and regulation, and encouraged outsized bonuses to CEOs while ignoring middle-class Americans have brought us to the most serious financial crisis since the Great Depression.

I certainly don’t fault Senator McCain for these problems, but I do fault the economic philosophy he subscribes to. It’s a philosophy we’ve had for the last eight years – one that says we should give more and more to those with the most and hope that prosperity trickles down to everyone else. It’s a philosophy that says even common-sense regulations are unnecessary and unwise, and one that says we should just stick our heads in the sand and ignore economic problems until they spiral into crises.

Well now, instead of prosperity trickling down, the pain has trickled up – from the struggles of hardworking Americans on Main Street to the largest firms of Wall Street.

This country can’t afford another four years of this failed philosophy. For years, I have consistently called for modernizing the rules of the road to suit a 21st century market – rules that would protect American investors and consumers. And I’ve called for policies that grow our economy and our middle-class together. That is the change I am calling for in this campaign, and that is the change I will bring as President.
Obama gets it.

Here's McCain's statement:

Quote:
The crisis in our financial markets has taken an enormous toll on our economy and the American people -- first the decline of our housing markets followed by the collapse of Bear Stearns, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and now Lehman Brothers. I am glad to see that the Federal Reserve and the Treasury Department have said no to using taxpayer money to bailout Lehman Brothers, a position I have spoken about throughout this campaign. We are carefully monitoring the financial markets, including the duress at Lehman Brothers that is the latest reminder of ineffective regulation and management. Efforts must also be focused on ensuring that the deposits of hardworking Americans are protected.

It is essential for us to make sure that the U.S. remains the pre-eminent financial market of the world. This will be a highest priority of my Administration. In order to do this, major reform must be made in Washington and on Wall Street. We cannot tolerate a system that handicaps our markets and our banks and places at risk the savings of hard-working Americans and investors. The McCain-Palin Administration will replace the outdated and ineffective patchwork quilt of regulatory oversight in Washington and bring transparency and accountability to Wall Street. We will rebuild confidence in our markets and restore our leadership in the financial world.
Clueless liar. He's the cause, not the cure. Ask him what roll his financial adviser, Phil Gramm, had in deregulating the markets. Go on, ask him.

Biden nailed it in one:

Quote:
"John McCain stands with George Bush firmly in the corner of the wealthy and well-connected. He stands with the oil company CEOs who swore to me, under penalty of perjury, that they didn’t need tax breaks to explore for oil…."
While Hockey Mom spouts the 'We'll change it from INSIDE' crap:

Quote:
"Our regulatory system is outdated and it needs a complete overhaul…. So John McCain and I, we’re going to put an end to the mismanagement and abuses on Washington and Wall Street that have resulted in this financial crisis."

Š

Last edited by Šiego : 15-09-08 at 11:06 AM.
Old 15-09-08, 08:00 PM   #3
Nicobie

A year ago I could not see where the libs/domos could lose.

Unfortunately they chose a jesse jackson type and now it seems as if they will.

Kind of a shame. as I would have voted for a free thinker from either party.
Old 16-09-08, 01:16 AM   #4
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

Quote:
Unfortunately they chose a black guy and now it seems as if they will.

Kind of a shame. as I would have voted for a white guy from either party.
Obama? Not a 'free thinker'? You don't want to know, that's your problem.

Go play with your wood....

Š

Old 16-09-08, 02:31 AM   #5
malvachat
My eyes are now open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Šiego View Post

Go play with your wood....

Š
Yeah and try not to get splinters
Old 19-09-08, 05:17 PM   #6
Nicobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Šiego View Post
Obama? Not a 'free thinker'? You don't want to know, that's your problem.

Š
obama is just another demo party hack from the most corrupt city in America.

He would have never even gotten a chance to run for garbage man unless he carried water (aka sucked up) to all the rest of the 'ruling' party.

As to the playing with myself splinter remark... at least I have one to play with.

http://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0...c783298e5f0075

BUTT I sure do. Hahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaaa