P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 29-08-06, 11:52 AM   #1
ProfessorM

Lightbulb Non File Trading Software - Something Different

Hello Napsterites.

My software startup recently released a version 1.0 of Maazios, which tackles new applications using P2P. Besides free phone calls (Skype) and file trading, P2P can also be used for conducting auctions, running your own storefront, posting classified ads/yellow page ads, hosting simple message boards, and much more - for free. Freedom and free stuff are trademarks of the internet.

Maazios is a bit different and strange in what it tries to do. I would recommend before trying the software that you read some of the information on the website http://www.maazios.com or our blog - http://maazios.blogspot.com . I also wrote a paper posted on the website discussing the future of P2P http://www.maazios.com/Sequel.htm .

I understand some of you may have doubts due to the past piranha frenzy hype surrounding P2P. But after reading some of the info, I invite you to install the software. Word of caution: we noticed some early home users, who allowed firewall server access for Maazios, but did not set the portforwarding (port # 49999) on their cable/dsl router: their computers contacted our test machines but it was not possible for our test machines to
connect to their computers. So please setup portforwarding because Maazios does not use supernode concept. Contact me if you have problems installing or using the software (info@maazios.com - no new user have emailed me so far to troubleshoot or ask questions). I can help you confirm whether your Maazios can connect to one of my test machines and vice versa. Once confirmed, you will be able to view/bid/buy items on the test machines (named "prime" or "janedoe"). I won't hold you responsible for the test purchases or feedback rating .

For those of you who are passionate P2P engineers/scientists, I like to hear some preliminary general information about your expertise and past exploits.

Add your concerns, questions, etc. to this topic as well. I will check on it at least once a day to post my response.
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-06, 12:02 PM   #2
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Welcome !

your Maazios and P2P IOS idea sounds good , myself I am not too interested in any commercial idea with ads and storefronts .

but good luck with it

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-06, 12:59 PM   #3
JackSpratts

i always wanted to be a professor. the go-to guy when aliens attack. probably those years spent watching 50's science fiction movies on channel 11 when i was a kid. you could go anywhere there was trouble and even the cops wouldn't stop you. hell, the general would personally fly you around in his "whirlybird."

Dr. Spratts! The giant tomato ate my dad's new Buick!!!"

"They're the females Timmy, they love shiny things. She only looks like a tomato of course, she actually tastes like a chicken."

"Golly Professor, can I have one?"

"Not until you're 18 Tim."

so it's always good to have a professor around, you never know when you're going to need one. without having run your program the description reminds me a bit of a p2p auction application released earlier in the decade. the basic premise was the ability to search for and bid on listed items on the hard drives of users running the program, kind of like ebay without the bay. i installed and ran it for a few weeks.

yours sounds a lot more sophisticated.

anything that facilitates sharing amoung users is a good thing, and as always, the more users the better for any community. i imagine however community management will have to be considered at some point and that even some form of "government" will be required, lest the happy community is overrun by destructive aliens.

welcome to the boards doc.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-06, 07:12 PM   #4
ProfessorM

Just to clarify, the ads/storefront/other apps is for each Maazios user to use as s/he sees fit - no restrictions, no fees - for the rest of our lives (that's what we are aiming for since we see too much bullying going on; as they say, sometimes the peace needs to be restored.).

I do want to mention that there's a pseudo DNS (domain name system) within Maazios to help locate each other (not totally perfect yet but can be improved). Since there's a pseudo DNS, that's also why there's a pseudo email system within Maazios (again, not absolutely perfect but it's a proof of concept) and a mailing list like mechanism (called publish/subscribe). I read that today's young people prefer instant messaging while older folks prefer using email. The reason email declined in usage is because of all those "no value added" spam wasting so much user's time to clean up. I hope the pseudo email within Maazios will be able to do away with spam for good. The goal is to make the most useful items on the internet free within Maazios and possibly even better since we have a fresh start and no legacy to deal with.
Old 31-08-06, 10:50 PM   #5
ProfessorM

For those willing to take the plunge - please contact me by private message or info@maazios.com so we can walk through the install and configure together. Worst case is if you don't like it, just uninstall and it'll be gone.
Old 01-09-06, 01:12 AM   #6
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

It’s certainly a novel idea.

Personally, I would not be interested in such an application as (for me) what it offers is largely a containerized duplication of things already widely available on the internet to anyone.

The application is slanted toward a commercial purpose, yet it’s benefits are limited to those who use it, and this limits the available participation (seller/customer base).

With ordinary web sites, there are some safeguards that help protect buyers and sellers from scams and other forms of fraud. With a P2P type proprietary interface, the system is essentially non-public by nature and may harbor increased risk for buyers and sellers. Further, as we have seen operators of centralized P2P networks and authors of P2P software have been held liable for illegal conduct by network users.

Peer-to-Peer is proven good for exchange of information and ideas, as P2P forwards that end by providing an avenue of direct communication between participants. Using P2P for selling tangible goods is new and unproven, and atypical of conventional marketing methods.

You never know about these things, Maazios could become instantly popular in a fad type fashion by providing what people want. Good luck in your endeavors.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-06, 03:03 AM   #7
ProfessorM

The containerized duplication insight is correct (I was thinking I was a bit crazy for attempting the software in the first place). The key difference however is the free nature and freedom granted to the user (vs internet websites are overlords over its users/visitors). The commercial part of Maazios was done so the users get a payback for participating while the "self expression" part was done for users to try out; the multitude of applications helps demonstrate the possibility that whatever's doable on the regular internet can be done for this "extreme P2P internet".

On a side note, I see some game dev msg boards are still looking at doing a massive multiplayer P2P game system - what I will tell them is that sometimes it's better to try to accomplish something easier first before attempting a very difficult problem; I was hoping with Maazios' demonstrations (app variety) and future release of some APIs, it may be possible to do a simpler multiplayer P2P game system first; then in time when broadband becomes faster for everyone, the massive multiplayer P2P game system should then be attempted since by then, game developers have more experience with P2P issues for games.

Back to story - if the regular internet can be replicated in the P2P fashion, then it's only reasonable that it will follow the same evolution (remember how it used to be awkward to buy stuff off of internet websites - pre 1998?). So I foresee the security certificate, payment, etc. companies will also serve this P2P internet eventually. As for the proprietary nature, I have an open invitation for hackers to play and "punish" the Maazios software so that P2P internet holes can be revealed and remedies can be conceived of easier and faster. As for legal liability, Maazios is trying to replicate what's available on the regular internet; so in some ways, what is okay on the regular internet then should also be okay on this P2P internet - or do a separate set of laws be applicable?

Keep placing your concerns and comments - it makes things interesting in this thread.
Old 01-09-06, 03:38 AM   #8
Malk-a-mite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM
As for the proprietary nature, I have an open invitation for hackers to play and "punish" the Maazios software so that P2P internet holes can be revealed and remedies can be conceived of easier and faster.
Nice to know, I'm reinstalling a VMWare XP test bed as I type. Once I get my enviroment setup I'll see how the install and testing goes.
===================
Malk-a-mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-06, 10:23 AM   #9
ProfessorM

BTW, I use VMWare also; if you are using a cable/dsl router, then for the ethernet of the guest os - you should use Bridged instead of NAT because I found that vmware nat service has a handle leak when frequent connections are made by/for the guest os. For this guest test os, you can even make things simpler for now by turning off the firewall. Don't forget portforward setup.

If you get the setup/configure all correctly, then I'll list you on the maazios website message board as a Maazter of Your Domain.
Old 01-09-06, 07:06 PM   #10
ProfessorM

Default Maazios Screenshots

Easier to put links to screenshots since a few too many (38 pics total 2.8MB)

The following pics show what you see of your own "stuff"

Your own start page; many items created and things filled in elsewhere.
KG_Main_Start.JPG
A preferences form for you to fill in so start page looks nicer and location info can be used by other apps.
KG_Main_Preferences.JPG
History of app items and domains you've been to.
KG_Main_History.JPG

Connect by IP Address UI - used if you know your friend/family's external IP. Note it shows your external IP address on top.
Successful connect will show other party's domain name and description.
KG_Connect_by_IP.JPG

The Pseudo Email "outlook" like UI.
KG_Memail_inbox.JPG
System reminders show useful tidbits you should be aware of about your computer and application items.
KG_Memail_sys_reminders.JPG

From the Search UI
A simple search for "bracelet"
KG_Search_regular.JPG
Sample of other people's "stuff"; doubleclick to see it (other person's Maazios must be on and connectable).
KG_Whats_New.JPG
What other Maazios users are searching for.
KG_Search_what_others_are_searching.JPG
Your favorites list - domains shown; favorite app items also possible.
KG_My_Favorites_domains.JPG

From the Auction Management UI
One of your created auctions that is active now.
KG_My_Auctions.JPG
Save time by filling in this preferences since will be used by all your own auctions.
KG_Auction_Preferences.JPG
Your auction watch - watching other Maazios users' auctions.
KG_AuctionWatch_My_Auction_Watch_tab.JPG
Your bid/buy requests to other Maazios users' auctions and the request's status (it may fail - ex. network problem).
KG_AuctionWatch_My_Requests_tab.JPG
Your winning bids of other Maazios users' auctions and its related info.
KG_AuctionWatch_My_Winning_Bids_tab.JPG

Your own Feedback History UI
What other Maazios users said about you - only your auctions and storefront for now.
KG_My_Feedback_History.JPG

Your own Chat Rooms UI
KG_My_Chat_Rooms.JPG

Your own Classified Ads UI
KG_My_Classified_Ads.JPG

Your own Message Boards UI
KG_My_Message_Boards.JPG

Your own Publish/Subscribe UI KG_My_Publications.JPG
KG_My_Subscriptions.JPG

Your own Yellow Page Ads UI
KG_My_YellowPage.jpg

Your own Storefront Management UI
Example of one of your item for sale.
KG_Storefront_My_Storefront.JPG
Fill in preferences since used for your storefront and its items.
KG_Storefront_Preferences.JPG
Your orders from other Maazios users' storefront.
KG_Storefront_My_Orders.jpg
Your customers' orders - New ones, Canceled by you, and Shipped by you
KG_Storefront_My_Customers_Orders_new_orders.JPG
KG_Storefront_My_Customers_Orders_cancelled_orders.JPG
KG_Storefront_My_Customers_Orders_shipped.JPG

The following is when you go to some other Maazios user's "site" or application item
You are looking at someone's domain page (notice what's available).
KG_domain_seen_by_JD.JPG
You are looking at someone's auction (useful pic on bottom).
KG_auction_seen_by_JD.JPG
You are in someone's chat room.
KG_chat_with_JD.JPG
A list of someone's application items - chat rooms in this case.
KG_chatroom_list_seen_by_JD.JPG
You are looking at someone's Classified ad.
KG_clasAd_seen_by_JD.JPG
You are looking at someone's Feedback history.
KG_feedback_history_seen_by_JD.JPG
You are in someone's message board.
KG_mb_seen_by_JD.JPG
You are in someone's storefront.
KG_storefront_seen_by_JD.JPG
You checking out an order in someone's storefront.
KG_storefront_shopcart_seen_by_JD.JPG
You are in someone's Auction domain - which list all auctions of this Maazios user.
KG_auction_domain_seen_by_JD.JPG

Now you realize why the firewall/portforward setup correctly is needed - so that other Maazios users can see and do things to your "stuff" and vice versa.
Old 02-09-06, 09:19 AM   #11
ProfessorM

New users have spoken - I will add and change a couple of things so that you can easily see whether you are connected to others and others are connected to you. Major apologies to those frustrated looking at the software and not sure what's going on. I guess I got carried away with keeping all the UIs minimal.

The current 1.0 does not have these new helpers yet so please wait for 1.1. Thanks.

Last edited by ProfessorM : 07-09-06 at 12:23 PM.
Old 13-09-06, 12:45 PM   #12
ProfessorM

Hello Everyone,
I just finished version 1.1 and it's up on the maazios website (later for cnet/tucows). Apologies to everyone who tried 1.0 and was confused about the software. 1.1 installs much faster (< 1 minute) and now shows your Maazios computer's connectivity to other Maazios users - this will help you troubleshoot your firewall/router if necessary as well as allow you to check out another Maazios user's domain page and application items quickly. So please give us 1 more chance to demonstrate what is possible with P2P.
Thanks.
Old 16-10-06, 01:16 PM   #13
JackSpratts

(FYI)

I’ll Trade You My ‘Titanic’ for Your ‘Spider-Man’
Bob Tedeschi

One of the world’s oldest forms of commerce has finally gotten a foothold in the newest commercial medium.

Online bartering, an idea with many proponents but few successes, is emerging as an e-commerce model, bolstered by a spate of new Web sites run by veterans of the e-commerce industry. And although these sites won’t soon challenge Amazon.com or eBay, they are carving out a significant niche in what could be a highly profitable business.

It sounds unlikely, but it’s true, according to Billy McNair, chief executive of Peerflix, a DVD trading service based in Palo Alto, Calif. The company’s 250,000 members post titles of DVD’s they are willing to trade on the Web site (peerflix.com), which then facilitates the swaps by giving members printable forms that include postage and the recipient’s address.

La La Media, which operates LaLa.com and is also based in Palo Alto, is another recent darling of the Silicon Valley venture capital community, having raised $9 million since the business formed in June 2005. According to Bill Nguyen, one of the company’s founders, the site has built an inventory of two million titles since its debut in March, and every day members add 30,000 copies to the collection.

Run as they are by tiny teams of entrepreneurs, though, these companies embody the kind of asymmetric economic threat that has forced established businesses to at least take notice, if not entirely alter their business plans. Take books, for instance. PaperBackSwap’s members trade 30,000 books weekly for $1.59 apiece, according to Richard Pickering, one of the site’s founders. The company is now exploring ways to help members trade nonmedia items, possibly within distinct geographical areas.

“You’re going to see a lot more from online bartering in the future,” Mr. Pickering said. “This is just in its infancy.”

More
Old 16-10-06, 02:06 PM   #14
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

no doubt somewhere in the deep in the bowels of the MPAA, the boys in Legal are trying to figure out some way to sue somebody here.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-06, 05:44 PM   #15
JackSpratts

i'm sure they are, but they've got bigger plans for the future. the switch is on to all digital files with strong drm. you'll pay the same but with physical copies a thing of the past you won't own anything new to trade.

- js.
Old 19-10-06, 01:45 PM   #16
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts
i'm sure they are, but they've got bigger plans for the future. the switch is on to all digital files with strong drm. you'll pay the same but with physical copies a thing of the past you won't own anything new to trade.

- js.

so if i share a movie file with you, it's just like real property and you're stealing it. however, if i buy a movie file from an MPAA member, it's not just like real property and i don't own it and i can't resell it.

in other words, digital files are real property only when a big media company says so. think i got it now
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote