P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 17-01-06, 01:57 AM   #1
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Default Small Start-Up Releases Free File Sharing Service

ByteRocket, a small start-up firm located in Dayton, Ohio, has just released a new file sharing service, call MyOtherDrive. This permits users to share any media type, pictures, movies, music. Anyone can create a new account and immediately have 2GB of storage space available.[/center]

Source:PRweb
Dayton, Ohio (PRWEB) Jan 14, 2006 -- ByteRocket, a small start-up firm located in Dayton, Ohio, has released a new file sharing Internet service, call MyOtherDrive. The website name is myotherdrive.com. The site is currently in beta.

Anyone with Internet access can create an account on the site and get 2GB of free storage space. The site handles photographs especially well, making it a real competitor with Snapfish, OFoto, AOL, and the others.

In addition to competing with the photo sharing sites, it indirectly competes with file sharing sites such as Kazaa and eDonkey. There is one important difference between myotherdrive and these "public" file sharing sites - myotherdrive.com users can share their files only with others they identify.

This site is great for sharing photos and movies from your digital camera with family and friends. It is also useful for sharing work files with fellow business associates. Because it is available on the Internet, and protected by username/password, business users can use the service to "park" large files so that they can move them from one computer to another when there is no direct connection between the computers.

The site runs as a Java applet that looks similar to the Microsoft Windows® Explorer® or ACDSee, permitting the user to create a folder "hierarchy" on the left side of the screen, and files on the right. File types that are recognized such as images, display as thumbnails. Any file type can be stored on myotherdrive.

The site includes a user manager utility that allows you to permit users to access subsets of your directories. Useful for limiting family to family related photos, and friends to friend related content.

In a nutshell, the site is essentially a free 2GB harddrive with a Explorer®-style interface, making the storage available anywhere Internet access is available.

This is ByteRocket's first public site. The company has plans to release other useful "personal" sites similar to myotherdrive.com over the coming year. Check it out - myotherdrive.com.

The pic is a screenshot of the demo account ,which is a java applet that loads in browser
warning:
lots of google style yahoo ads
Attached Images

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-06, 03:52 PM   #2
brownbag

Default Not too bad

I tried the site. It allows you to set up acl-like permissions for sharing your pictures. Neat if you're having a split family or if you have multiple girlfriends . It is also cool that it automatically generates all your thumbnails for you when you upload photos.

My one complaint is it doesn't allow you to move folders. If you wanted to reorganize the folder structure that you set up, and I did, you have to delete the folder, recreate it where you want and then reupload your photos. I had about 50 photos I had in one directory from a wedding I went to and this process took me approximately 15 minutes to do all this.

Looks like they need some new features for management of photos, etc.
brownbag is offline   Reply With Quote