P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 12-02-04, 04:19 AM   #1
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

Default ABC News admits media has liberal bias against Bush

ABC News Admits Media Liberal, Hates Bush

Report by newsmax.com (link below)

It’s rare when the major media admit to their liberal bias.

When CBS correspondent Bernard Goldberg revealed that his network – and all the others – were liberal, it came as a shock to his colleagues.

As Goldberg noted, the liberal press had been talking to themselves for so long, they all believed that every other sane person shared their views. Republicans, the NRA and pro-lifers were all wackos.

On Tuesday, ABCNews.com made some confessions of their own – confessions that are as profound as Goldberg’s.

On the ABC site's must-read "The Note" section, prepared by the network's "political unit," was the following, and we quote verbatim:

"Like every other institution, the Washington and political press corps operate with a good number of biases and predilections.

"They include, but are not limited to, a near-universal shared sense that liberal political positions on social issues like gun control, homosexuality, abortion, and religion are the default, while more conservative positions are 'conservative positions.'

"They include a belief that government is a mechanism to solve the nation's problems; that more taxes on corporations and the wealthy are good ways to cut the deficit and raise money for social spending and don't have a negative affect on economic growth; and that emotional examples of suffering (provided by unions or consumer groups) are good ways to illustrate economic statistic stories. ... (Bold emphasis added)

"The press, by and large, does not accept President Bush's justifications for the Iraq war – in any of its WMD, imminent threat, or evil-doer formulations. It does not understand how educated, sensible people could possibly be wary of multilateral institutions or friendly, sophisticated European allies.

"It does not accept the proposition that the Bush tax cuts helped the economy by stimulating summer spending.

"It remains fixated on the unemployment rate.

"It believes President Bush is 'walking a fine line' with regards to the gay marriage issue, choosing between 'tolerance' and his 'right-wing base.'

"It still has a hard time understanding how, despite the drumbeat of conservative grass-top complaints about overspending and deficits, President Bush's base remains extremely and loyally devoted to him – and it looks for every opportunity to find cracks in that base.

"Of course, the swirling Joe Wilson and National Guard stories play right to the press's scandal bias – not to mention the bias towards process stories (grand juries produce ENDLESS process!).

"The worldview of the dominant media can be seen in every frame of video and every print word choice that is currently being produced about the presidential race."

Thank you, ABC News The Note, for your honesty. Also, please put a disclaimer at the bottom of "World News Tonight" declaring your bias – and put Bernard Goldberg back on your Christmas card list.

Source: http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2...0/223237.shtml

Note: newsmax.com is staunchly conservative in viewpoint.

Linky to ABC News article (Scroll down to "News Summary"):
http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/p...e_Feb1004.html

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-04, 05:02 AM   #2
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

NEWSFLASH: "Humans are biased. We'll bring you more, right after the break..."

ADVERT: "Buy our crap..."

"I did not authorise the leaking of the name of David Kelly. Nobody was authorised to name David Kelly. I believe we have acted properly throughout" Tony Blair - July 22, 2003
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-04, 09:05 AM   #3
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Some Noted Conservatives Bash Bush
--Jim Rutenberg, (delirious liberal) The New York Times

WASHINGTON (Feb. 9)- For most of his presidency, George W. Bush has counted on a chorus of conservative newspaper columnists, radio hosts and television commentators to give powerful punctuation to his initiatives, proposals and defenses.

But in recent days, there has been an uptick in criticism of Mr. Bush from those quarters, underscoring strains between him and the Republican base that has so faithfully defended him in the past.

For example, Peggy Noonan, the Reagan speechwriter, had this to say on Sunday in opinionjournal.com about Mr. Bush's "Meet the Press" interview: "The president seemed tired, unsure and often bumbling. His answers were repetitive, and when he tried to clarify them he tended to make them worse."

George Will, the conservative columnist, wrote in his syndicated column on Sunday, "It is surreal for a Republican president to submit a budget to a Republican-controlled Congress and have Republican legislators vow to remove the 'waste' that he has included and that they have hitherto funded."

While most conservatives remain squarely behind Mr. Bush, the united front has not been quite as united.

Columnists like Robert Novak, conservative television hosts like Joe Scarborough of MSNBC and others on local radio and the Internet have raised questions about Mr. Bush.

"It's a critical departure," said J. David Hoeveler, a professor of history at the University of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, who said last week that he believed that his local conservative radio host, Charlie Sykes, had begun sounding less exuberant about Mr. Bush. "Generally it's been whole-heartedly Republican," Mr. Hoeveler said of the tenor of the conservative media. "It would suggest that those who would call themselves Republicans are quite possibly breaking ranks."

Bush campaign officials say the frustration stems from an eagerness among his supporters to take on the Democrats aggressively, which they say he will begin to do soon. And some columnists and commentators who have voiced criticism of the president insisted on Monday that they were not breaking ranks and that he remained their standard-bearer.

Still, several conservative columnists and commentators said their pronouncements of disappointment resulted from growing frustration with what they saw as unbridled federal spending, Mr. Bush's mixed signals on gay marriage and his caution in meeting fierce critiques from a newly emboldened opposition.

Republicans who gave him poor grades for his performance on "Meet the Press," for instance, said they were concerned that he was not in fighting form when the possible Democratic challenger, Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts, is.

Many critiques go beyond politics. For instance, until recently Mr. Scarborough, a former Republican congressman from Florida, was as energetic a booster of Mr. Bush as anyone. He said he began speaking out against the Bush fiscal policy about two months ago, as he grew alarmed by the growing deficit and what he said were needlessly expensive proposals, like a manned Mars expedition and an increase in financing for the National Endowment of the Arts.

"When I first started doing it, I had Republicans calling me up and saying `Hey, why are you knocking a guy who's from your party?' " he said. "Two months later, everybody seems to be saying it. There's been no fiscal restraint and that's hurting the party and it's hurting the conservative cause."

In one column last week, Mr. Novak criticized Mr. Bush for giving "the most ineffective State of the Union address in recent years." And, he wrote, the failure to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and the admission that the president's plan to expand Medicare would cost more than initially estimated were "a double blow to his credibility."

Mr. Novak pointed out in an interview that despite his criticism, most Republicans are not likely to vote for the Democratic nominee. But, he said: "The problem is not whether they vote for Kerry. The problem is whether they stay at home."

Terry Holt, the president's campaign spokesman, said he expected it all to quiet down as soon as Mr. Bush went up against Mr. Kerry directly, should the senator capture the nomination. "When the campaign enters a new period where Kerry will stand in direct comparison to the president, there will be a more intense focus on Kerry's record," Mr. Holt said, "And I think what we're seeing from these folks is a sense that they are ready for that period to begin."

Pundit O'Reilly Now Skeptical About Bush
--Reuters Limited (ruthless liberals)

WASHINGTON (Feb. 10) - Conservative television news anchor Bill O'Reilly said on Tuesday he was now skeptical about the Bush administration and apologized to viewers for supporting prewar claims that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.

The anchor of his own show on Fox News said he was sorry he gave the U.S. government the benefit of the doubt that former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein's weapons program poised an imminent threat, the main reason cited for going to war.

I was wrong. I am not pleased about it at all and I think all Americans should be concerned about this," O'Reilly said in an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America."

"What do you want me to do, go over and kiss the camera?" asked O'Reilly, who had promised rival ABC last year he would publicly apologize if weapons were not found.

O'Reilly said he was "much more skeptical about the Bush administration now" since former weapons inspector David Kay said he did not think Saddam had any weapons of mass destruction.

While critical of President Bush, O'Reilly said he did not think the president intentionally lied. Rather, O'Reilly blamed CIA Director George Tenet, who was appointed by former President Bill Clinton.

"I don't know why Tenet still has his job."

He added: "I think every American should be very concerned for themselves that our intelligence is not as good as it should be."

O'Reilly anticipated the presidential election would be a close race, adding he thought Democratic front-runner Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts would be a formidable opponent against Bush.

"It will be a very close race. The nation is divided," he said.
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-04, 10:06 AM   #4
JackSpratts

Little late for apologies O'Reilly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fauxnews.jpg
Views:	1268
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	6976  
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-04, 05:18 PM   #5
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

I guess it's only a taboo if a conservative President says it.

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of
weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat
to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of
the weapons inspection process." -- Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D
CA), Dec. 16, 1998

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological
and chemical weapons throughout his country." -- Al Gore,
Sept. 23, 2002

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is
seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction." --
Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-MA), Sept. 27, 2002

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence
reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his
chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile
delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also
given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including
al Qaeda members." -- Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY), Oct 10,

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling
evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number
of years, a developing capacity for the production and
storage of weapons of mass destruction... So the threat of
Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is
real..." -- Sen. John F. Kerry (D-MA), Jan. 23. 2003

These folks drew like conclusions as President Bush from like intel reports.

It's interesting to note that several points keep on being sidestepped by those who criticize President Bush's decisions regarding the invasion of Iraq.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-04, 05:48 PM   #6
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Default Bush Gives Conservatives A Bad Name

y'know, if Bush and the GOP truly espoused conservative values, i could easily be a Republican....

but by being many times removed from true Conservatism, the Far Right is a mutant ideology (much as the Far Left has mutated from the classic principles of LIberalism).

both ideologies, as espoused by the major parties, are first and foremost, self-serving and function primarily to obtain and maintain power. the so-called "conservatives" really lose credibility when they unequivocally support the Bush, because his policies largely run contrary to true conservative values.

in a perfect world, both parties would act a lot more like libertarians.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-04, 06:02 PM   #7
Nicobie

Default U da man...

Knife...

whats with all the government suckin' up anyway.

I figure most are voting their jobs.

I don't feel like giving govmt employees anything.
Old 12-02-04, 06:42 PM   #8
scooobiedooobie

Arnot: NBC Dumped Me for Finding Positive News in Iraq

Thursday, Feb. 12, 2004

NBC has refused to renew the contract of Iraq correspondent Dr. Bob Arnot. He says the reason is that he dares to find progress.

"In a 1,300-word e-mail to NBC News president Neal Shapiro, written in December 2003 and obtained by NYTV, Dr. Arnot called NBC News' coverage of Iraq biased. He argued that keeping him in Iraq and on NBC could go far in rectifying that," the New York Observer's Joe Hagan reported today.

"Dr. Arnot included excerpts from an e-mail from Jim Keelor, president of Liberty Broadcasting, which owns eight NBC stations throughout the South. Mr. Keelor had written NBC, stating that "the networks are pretty much ignoring" the good-news stories in Iraq. 'The definition of news would incorporate some of these stories,' he wrote. 'Hence the Fox News surge.'"

Keelor told the Observer: "Of course it's political. Journalism and news is what unusual [events] happened that day. And if the schools are operating, they can say that's usual. My response to that is, 'The hell it is.' My concern there is that almost everything that has occurred in Iraq since the war started is unexpected."

In his letter to Shapiro, Arnot wondered, as has the Bush administration, why the network refused to admit positive developments in Iraq. "As you know, I have regularly pitched most of these stories contained in the note to Nightly, Today and directly to you. Every single story has been rejected."

Arnot told the Observer he knew for "a fact" that Shapiro’s problem with his reporting was that "it was just very positive."

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2...2/162342.shtml
scooobiedooobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-04, 07:41 PM   #9
JackSpratts

yeah. iraq is just full of good news.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote