P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 06-02-04, 10:38 PM   #1
jcmd62
Alpha Male

Default Happy Birthday Ronald Reagan

Happy number 93 President Reagan. Who knew that fresh out of High School and newly registered to vote, that my first vote cast would help elect one of the Greatest Presidents this country had, or will ever see. It wasn't surprising that you won reelection by an overwhelming popular vote and with the greatest number of ELECTORAL votes ever gained by a presidential candidate.

Quote:
When you see all that rhetorical smoke billowing up from the Democrats, well ladies and gentleman, I'd follow the example of their nominee; don't inhale.
Quote:
We've done our part. And as I walk off into the city streets, a final word to the men and women of the Reagan revolution, the men and women across America who for 8 years did the work that brought America back. My friends: We did it. We weren't just marking time. We made a difference. We made the city stronger, we made the city freer, and we left her in good hands. All in all, not bad, not bad at all.
God Bless Nancy Reagan who has stood by her husband through thick and thin. She has single handedly taken over for her husband due to his rapidly progressing Alzhiemers Disease. She has done a brilliant job with the Reagan Library while still being the ever doting, loving wife to her husband. Having cared for a grandfather who died from Alzheimers, My hats off to Nancy. I know how hard her job is these days.
jcmd62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 10:46 PM   #2
span

Today we did what we had to do. They counted on America to be passive. They counted wrong -- Ronald Reagan

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done -- Ronald Reagan

History teaches that war begins when governments believe the price of aggression is cheap. -- Ronald Reagan

The men of Normandy had faith that what they were doing was right, faith that they fought for all humanity, faith that a just God would grant them mercy on this beachhead or the next. It was the deep knowledge -- and pray to God we have not lost it -- that there is a profound moral difference between the use of force for liberation and the use of force for conquest -- Ronald Reagan

Putting people first has always been America’s secret weapon. It’s the way we’ve kept the spirit of our revolutions alive—a spirit that drives us to dream and dare, and take great risks for a greater good -- Ronald Reagan

Regimes planted by bayonets do not take root -- Ronald Reagan

America is too great for small dreams -- Ronald Reagan

I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still. -- Ronald Reagan

And how stands the city on this winter night? More prosperous, more secure, and happier than it was 8 years ago. But more than that: After 200 years, two centuries, she still stands strong and true on the granite ridge, and her glow has held steady no matter what storm. And she's still a beacon, still a magnet for all who must have freedom, for all the pilgrims from all the lost places who are hurtling through the darkness, toward home." -- Ronald Reagan

Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came about because the U.S. was too strong -- Ronald Reagan

We are especially not going to tolerate these attacks from outlaw states run by the strangest collection of misfits, Looney Tunes and squalid criminals since the advent of the Third Reich -- Ronald Reagan

We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free -- Ronald Reagan

They say the world has become too complex for simple answers. They are wrong. There are no easy answers, but there are simple answers. We must have the courage to do what we know is morally right. Winston Churchill said that "the destiny of man is not measured by material computation. When great forces are on the move in the world, we learn we are spirits -- not animals." And he said, "There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty -- Ronald Reagan

The ultimate determinate in the struggle now going on for the world will not be bombs and rockets but a test of wills and ideas - a trial of spiritual resolve; the values we hold, the beliefs we cherish and the ideas to which we are dedicated -- Ronald Reagan

A leader, once convinced a particular course of action is the right one, must have the determination to stick with it and be undaunted when the going gets rough -- Ronald Reagan

I have seen the rise and fall of Nazi tyranny, the subsequent cold war and the nuclear nightmare that for fifty years haunted the dreams of children everywhere. During that time my generation defeated totalitarianism. As a result, your world is poised for better tomorrows. What will you do on your journey? -- Ronald Reagan

[N]o arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women -- Ronald Reagan

The Democrats say that the United States has had its days in the sun, that our nation has passed its zenith. They expect you to tell your children that the American people no longer have the will to cope with their problems, that the future will be one of sacrifice and few opportunities. My fellow citizens, I utterly reject that view. -- Ronald Reagan

I hope that when you're my age you'll be able to say, as I have been able to say: we lived in freedom, we lived lives that were a statement, not an apology -- Ronald Reagan

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free -- Ronald Reagan

In closing, let me thank you, the American people, for giving me the great honor of allowing me to serve as your president. When the Lord calls me home, whenever that day may be, I will leave with the greatest love for this country of ours and eternal optimism for its future. I now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life. I know that for America there will always be a bright dawn ahead. -- Ronald Reagan
span is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 10:52 PM   #3
greedy_lars
everything you do

drooooool
Attached Images

greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 01:24 AM   #4
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

Good Reagan quotes.

He was indeed a great President.

He will always be a great man to me, even though Alzheimer's disease has robbed him of his memories and great character.

Happy Birthday Ronald, I salute your accomplishments and service to the people of the United States.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 01:29 AM   #5
scooobiedooobie

Happy Birthday, President Reagan!

by John Huang

Ronald Reagan is the reason I became interested in politics in the first place.

I didn't know much about 'issues' back then, beyond what I knew from high school; monetary policy, the Laffer curve, M1 -- none of that stuff particularly interested me. Yet.

Back in those days, I shared a typical cynicism for politics in general.

'They're all crooks', my dad would tell me. 'Every last one of them'.

Ronald Reagan changed all that.

There's something so utterly different about him. Something so honest, so genuine, so real. Intuitively, you know you could trust him. Believing in him comes so naturally.

It's hard to believe more than twenty years have slipped by since that grand and glorious night of triumph. The former governor of California -- written off by the media as a Hollywood joke and a loser-- had swept the nation in a landslide, crushing incumbent President Jimmy Carter, 51%-40%. In electoral votes, Reagan's victory was truly colossal: 489-49.

The Reagan revolution was born -- and America never looked back.

Candidate Reagan promised a renaissance; President Reagan delivered.

The 'Laffer curve' burst onto the scene -- and into the lexicon. The presstitutes derided the idea with burlesque contempt. To the pompous elite set, who clung to Keynesianism like some pagan religion, the notion of lowering taxes was itself anathema. But the Laffer curve went beyond that, promising, if implemented, to revive the economy, kill inflation while raising revenues.

'Sheer lunacy! Unvarnished buffoonery!', the liberals scoffed.

They mockingly dubbed it "Reaganomics".

Eight years later, guess who had the last laugh?

Not only did Reagan put the kabosh on the Carter recession, he sparked the longest peace-time expansion in American history. Revenues, contrary to the naysayers, exploded as lower taxes restored incentives to work, save and invest. Inflation? Ha! Are you kidding? A little dose of "Reaganonics" and poof! It was gone. Interest rates -- as high as 22% under Carter -- followed suit, plummeting back into single digits.

The "experts" had egg on their faces.

But Reagan's Presidency was more than just about economics. A lover of liberty, Reagan hated communism, and all the evil it represented. He spoke out against it at every opportunity, loudly, clearly, fervently -- even against the counsel of his closest advisors. "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down these walls!", Reagan thundered before a cheering crowd at the Brandenburg Gate. Bureaucrats from Foggy Bottom weren't too happy -- they kept trying to scratch out that line from his speech! They just didn't get it.

President Reagan loved freedom, passionately, fervidly, fiercely. His Presidency was a tribute to it. It's why he called the Soviet Union the Evil Empire, rightfully condemning its appalling record on human rights. The shilly-shally "establishment" had a conniption fit.

But President Reagan was also the quintessential optimist. He knew communism's days were numbered, turning the cherished policy of containment on its head.

At a Notre Dame commencement address in 1981, President Reagan, in these immortal words, confidently predicted communism's eventual demise:

"The years ahead will be great ones for our country, for the cause of freedom, and for the spread of civilization. The west will not contain communism, it will transcend communism. We will not bother to denounce it; we'll dismiss it as a sad, bizarre chapter in human history whose last pages are even now being written."

In less than a decade, those words were vindicated. The west went on to win the Cold War, with President Reagan leading the way. The critics, yet again, were wrong.

Small wonder why an overwhelming majority of Americans remember the Gipper so fondly.

President Reagan's poise and grace -- even under the most excruciating circumstances -- is the stuff of legends. Barely two months into his Presidency, an attempt was made on his life.

As the nation anxiously waited for word on the Gipper, his famous wit and charm was unflinching.

Reagan had just regained consciousness in the emergency ward at George Washington University Hospital, when he jokingly said to a nurse who was holding his hand: "Does Nancy know about us?"

"Honey, I forgot to duck", he told Nancy Reagan moments later.

He uttered his most memorable quip that day as he laid on the operating table just before surgery. Gazing up at his surgeons, he said: "Please tell me you're all Republicans".

Yep, that's the Gipper we all know and love.

Happy Birthday, President Reagan!
scooobiedooobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 09:35 AM   #6
cheapprick

Win one for the Gipper. - Ronald Reagan
cheapprick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 09:01 PM   #7
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

gee fellas, you left out the part about Central America...

under Reagan, forces were trained and equipped by the US military and creatively financed with coke deals. who can forget Ollie North, who ran a bizarre series of operations out of the Reagan White House that involved the attempted subversion of the U.S. Constitution and total disregard for legality and the democratic process. as a direct result of Reagan's Central America policy, tens of thousands of civilians died, many at the hands of US backed death squads, which committed widespread massacres, political murders, and torture. it's an interesting coincidence that some of the guns that are pointed at American troops in the Middle East are from deals brokered by North, the profits from which went to finance the terror in Central America.

moral revisionism is fun, isn't it? happy birthday, Ronnie - you're a stand up guy, but you're no saint.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 09:03 PM   #8
Nicobie

edited for nil content - gaz.
Old 10-02-04, 02:41 AM   #9
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

Quote:
Originally posted by theknife
gee fellas, you left out the part about Central America... funding of foriegn terrorists... Ronnie - you're a stand up guy, but you're no saint.
I'm glad you pointed that out, I coudn't be bothered arguing it.

"I did not authorise the leaking of the name of David Kelly. Nobody was authorised to name David Kelly. I believe we have acted properly throughout" Tony Blair - July 22, 2003
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-04, 04:11 AM   #10
multi
Thanks for being with arse

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote