P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 26-10-02, 05:37 PM   #1
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Default Hilary Loses P2P Debate

This was the line-up. Here's the recap.

Hilary was only in it for the free trip to the UK.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-02, 07:28 PM   #2
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

This is very interesting, though I don't really know what format the debate followed it's something I'd like to see myself. Maybe a recording or transcript will pop up somewhere.

I especially liked this quote from www.ntk.net
Quote:
...we did give Hilary and Jay Berman (of the International Federation of Phonographic Industries) a special round of applause when we later ran into them in the garden outside. "Tough crowd", we sympathised, and "You did very well considering your indefensible position".
Lots of good things to laugh at, good post knife.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-02, 08:03 PM   #3
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

That dry British humor really does it justice, doesn't it?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-02, 08:40 PM   #4
JackSpratts

"Keep The Right To Copy" - What Hilary was really thinking at the Oxford debates -

"Now let's see; for Christmas I'll need two of those shirts for Jack Valenti and two for congressman Berman and Jay Berman for Hanukkah and I better get three for Michael Eisner and..."

- js.
Attached Images

JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-02, 09:03 AM   #5
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Perhaps I misunderstood this quote from Jay Berman...
Quote:
Each generation has had their own music. For your generation it's filesharing. And I think thats a pretty terrible thing
...but filesharing is a medium, not a kind of music. Previous generations had phonographs, 8-tracks, cassette tapes, and CD's. The only terrible thing about filesharing is that the format was created without the help of the music industry, though they did provide ample motivation. This quote is out of context of course, and I'd like to hear the whole speech, but I get the idea that Berman thinks the ecology of music on the internet is somehow mutated and unpure. Perhaps that's how it looks to a false God looking down on creation from a perch that's too low to see anything.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-02, 10:54 AM   #6
JackSpratts

"Each generation has had their own approach to music. For this generation it's filesharing, and I think that's a pretty wonderfull thing." - Jack Spratts.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-02, 05:28 PM   #7
Smoketoomuch
freak

Following trough some more links from the RIAA debate page, I found an interesting paper on CD copy protection. Softwares that beat copy protection: CloneCD 4.0 - any copy protected CD on a good drive. Or if you are on Linux, just use the default cdparanoia - moreover the article points out that the current protection uses poor harwdware design as its basis - for instance, a toshiba drive was unable to read the copy protected CDs, while a Plextor read CD on every operating system (well, except win98) without a proplem. It seems that both the hardware and the software side is well prepared for such copy protection - and even softwares that are not, could be made so with minor changes. He wrote: "All the modifications needed should be straightforward for someone familiar with the source code" - after taking a peep at the source code of cdrdao (disk at once mode) and even pointing out what changes are needed.

At the end of the article he has a good chart showing the test results, broken down by operating systems (win98, windows2000 and linux), drive types (toshiba, hitachi, sony, plextor, ibm, etc.), and the programs used (windows: Cd Player, Music Match, Nero, CloneCD 4.0 linux: CD Play, CD Paranoia, CDR-DAO).

its page 12 on:

http://crypto.stanford.edu/DRM2002/h..._drm2002_pp.ps