P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 22-01-02, 04:51 PM   #1
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Thumbs up EFF Asks Court to OK Morpheus

Electronic Frontier Foundation Media Release

EFF Asks Court to OK Morpheus Peer-to-Peer Software,

Reject Hollywood Attempts to Stifle Innovation

For Immediate Release: Tuesday, January 22, 2002

Latest shot fired in the Morpheus>RIAA Battle.
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-02, 10:17 AM   #2
JackSpratts

as the fight against file sharing moves into round two, we'll see the gloves coming off. napster was an easy target the courts could understand and punish. this next generation of p2p technology is more complex and ambiguous in its' legality. it will take more riaa/mpaa firepower to stop - and a stronger defense to hold them back. thanks for the update buzz.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-02, 08:13 PM   #3
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default Hey JS

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
as the fight against file sharing moves into round two, we'll see the gloves coming off. napster was an easy target the courts could understand and punish. this next generation of p2p technology is more complex and ambiguous in its' legality. it will take more riaa/mpaa firepower to stop - and a stronger defense to hold them back. thanks for the update buzz.

- js.
I'd be lying if I said my curiosity wasn't peaked when you mentioned the gannett source mentioning the RIAA taking some covert action against the file sharing community.

Can you elaborate a bit more?

Edited to add that the "was" should read "wasn't" peaked. Listening to The Smile, CBS Radio Mystery Theater - debuted 11.23.1982. That's what I get for posting while distracted!!

Last edited by goldie : 23-01-02 at 09:17 PM.
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-02, 09:36 PM   #4
JackSpratts

it's some thing i've been thinking about for a year or so gr that i call a "viral app". it's a court ordered virus that effectively hijacks a pgm like morpheus if its makers claim they can't control the product. it overtakes it and hands it to a court appointed executor, removing control from a daily user.

sources at gannett said the riaa was ready to launch their version last december, but it was designed to slow down transfers, not hand off complete control, and as such was similar to a run of the mill virus or dos attack. but the most important difference was that it was not ordered by a court.

why they've waited is unclear (another "mystery" for you gr?lol!) they said the dmca gave them permission to "protect their copyrights" by hacking peoples' pcs. others were less enthusiastic about the purported legality and feared massive repercussions both criminal and civil as well as even larger amounts of bad pr. while the act of "recording and trading" may be a legal gray area, it's abundantly clear that launching a virus is - so far - most definitely illegal. lucky us - so far.

- js.
Old 24-01-02, 02:49 AM   #5
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Quote:
it's some thing i've been thinking about for a year or so gr that i call a "viral app". it's a court ordered virus that effectively hijacks a pgm like morpheus if its makers claim they can't control the product. it overtakes it and hands it to a court appointed executor, removing control from a daily user.
I kind of figured that something like this might come about. It's true that programs like Morpheus have learn from the Napster days, but they are not immune to sabotage. The programs themselves are always vulnerable. Let's hope that the government does not get ambitious.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-02, 08:20 PM   #6
pgs92109
Senior Napsterite

Question

Jack, I didn't exactly follow your explanation of how a "viral app" would work. How would it be able to "overtake" Morpheus and remove it from my control?
pgs92109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-02, 08:39 PM   #7
VWguy
Japanamation junkie

If I remeber correctly, it is an app that will request a dl from you and do it at an extremly slow rate, while not permitting you to cancil it. This is to use up the bandwidth and render your node unuseable to all others. I could be wrong, if so would some one refresh me please?

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. -Robin Williams

Your future in a nutshell.
VWguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-02, 11:36 PM   #8
Malk-a-mite

Quote:
Originally posted by VWguy
If I remeber correctly, it is an app that will request a dl from you and do it at an extremly slow rate, while not permitting you to cancil it. This is to use up the bandwidth and render your node unuseable to all others. I could be wrong, if so would some one refresh me please?
That's what I remember being the case.

Oh well

localhosts
riaa.com 127.0.0.1

Quote:
Reject Hollywood Attempts to Stifle Innovation
I'd be happier if that wasn't the same line M$ uses to attempt to get around the legal system.
===================
Malk-a-mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-02, 12:07 AM   #9
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by pgs92109
Jack, I didn't exactly follow your explanation of how a "viral app" would work. How would it be able to "overtake" Morpheus and remove it from my control?
hi pgs,

there are almost unlimited ways of hacking these pgms but i concentrate on ones that might "update" your client making it a version a court could control, with approved apps overtaking previous ones, in much the same way that fasttracks'/streamcasts' v1.3 ran separately, marginalizing & eventually "terminating" previous versions.

- js.
Old 27-01-02, 12:09 AM   #10
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:

sources at gannett said the riaa was ready to launch their version last december, but it was designed to slow down transfers, not hand off complete control, and as such was similar to a run of the mill virus or dos attack. but the most important difference was that it was not ordered by a court.

why they've waited is unclear (another "mystery" for you gr?lol!) they said the dmca gave them permission to "protect their copyrights" by hacking peoples' pcs. others were less enthusiastic about the purported legality and feared massive repercussions both criminal and civil as well as even larger amounts of bad pr. while the act of "recording and trading" may be a legal gray area, it's abundantly clear that launching a virus is - so far - most definitely illegal. lucky us - so far.

- js.
I think the only thing holding the RIAA back is the liability issue...and their first attempt to get protection from any liability that arises from any damage done to anyone's PC was shut down in this shameful episode:

http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,47552,00.html

The attempt to classify anti-pirating initiatives as anti-terrorist initiatives was a particularly disgraceful exploitation of the 9/11 tragedy.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-02, 12:31 AM   #11
multi
Thanks for being with arse

with most of the governments of the world @ the moment in right wing mode(witch means very little in most places as the partys on the right are organized by right elements in those partys )
the shameful way public rights and assets have been sold out to these corprate mobsters
the excuse being usually due to some "tragedy"or some "war"
but enough of th@!
if these things r going 2 happen ppl should get active now to protect the acual fast trac system from this sort of corporate vanalisim

may be we should all stay on version 1.3 as long as we all can!
and if its a corporate trojan we will have to modify a virus .dat or ad-aware reflist?
we will work something out
v's

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-02, 01:13 AM   #12
pgs92109
Senior Napsterite

Lightbulb

Hmmm...this thread has been quite enlightening (and disturbing). I never considered myself or any of you terrorists before!

It seems there would be ways to avoid updating the software. Or could they make it auto-update? It just seems that if it were that easy to hack file-sharing apps, they would have done it already or covertly had somebody do it.
pgs92109 is offline   Reply With Quote