P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 22-01-02, 09:37 AM   #1
LV15
Absolute Bastard

Default edonkey?

i've never heard of it, i've never heard any of you mention it, someone in work just mentioned it so i went to check their forum out and its jammed solid with names i've never heard of.

What gives? What is this thing? why aren't you people over there?

I want some answers people...
LV15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-02, 11:01 AM   #2
zombywoof

Default Re: edonkey?

Quote:
Originally posted by LV15
i've never heard of it, i've never heard any of you mention it, someone in work just mentioned it so i went to check their forum out and its jammed solid with names i've never heard of.

What gives? What is this thing? why aren't you people over there?

I want some answers people...
You got me LV15. I've been using it for quite some time now. Lots of stuff to be found using edonkey. As for the forum over there, I've only been in there once in a while if I had a problem or to see if there was a new server list released.

Depending what happens with the outcome of Kazaa and Morpheus, there could be switchover to edonkey for many.

Also, I have found the spyware free version of CleanLimewire to be a nice app as well.

Last edited by zombywoof : 22-01-02 at 11:27 AM.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-02, 02:24 PM   #3
napho
Dawn's private genie

I've mentioned it a few times. It's outstanding and growing so fast it's getting tough to connect to.

This site gives reviews for various files then provides links to cue the file in Edonkey.

http://www.sharereactor.com
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-02, 03:38 PM   #4
Kewbase

Edonkey is promising.

But if your are used to a FastTrack it will take some time before you get used to a slow Donkey.

But I sure like the zipped full albums you find among the donkeyusers.
Kewbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-02, 05:02 PM   #5
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

I've recently just started using eDonkey myself and have noticed some good points and bad but I'll try to stick to the major ones. I like the fact that they try to eliminate freeloaders by making and and allowing everyone to share files that they have just downloaded. What I mean by this is that the small piece of file you have downloaded is almost immediately shared to everyone. This in turn creates more sources, rather then on Morpheus you have to wait until the whole file is downloaded in order to start sharing it. Of course on Morpheus, there's also no guarantee that they are going to share it when they are done.

Another good thing about their way of sharing files is that for users that don't have enough space on their hard drives, they don't have to keep large files for sharing. They are helping to share that large file the instant they are downloading it. After they are finished downloading it they can save to CD and delete it for more space. They've most likely have shared that file many times before completing it.

I've found more rare files on eDonkey then I have on Morpheus, and that's terrible considering Morpheus has a lot more users. The thing I don't like about eDonkey, is that they don't have an option to limit the number of upload slots. Maybe I don't know the program well enough, but I haven't been about to find a way to. The problem with not being able to do this is that eDonkey constantly divides the upload bandwidth until most users are only uploading at 1 kbps or less to any individual.

From the times that I have checked my sources, I've noticed that no one uploads faster then 2kbps to me. I believe that this is the cause of the many complaints about slow speeds. There have been only 2 times that I have downloaded faster then 10 kbps, but I've only been using the program for about a week so I don't know if this is normal. On Morpheus I can easily limit my uploads slots to 1 or 2 people and give them my full upload bandwidth. I'm sure users uploading from me appreciates this especially if I'm the only one sharing that file.

Anyhow, eDonkey isn't too bad a program and it's something worth looking into. Like Kewbase said, "Edonkey is promising".
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-02, 12:01 AM   #6
LV15
Absolute Bastard

thanks guys and gals, i've no intention of using the thing...it just threw me a bit when someone in work mentioned it and i was like 'edonkey? what the fuck is edonkey?' and then had to suffer the indignity of being told it was a P2P program.

'Impossible' I cried....I hang around with the cutting edge of the P2P community and have done since Late 99....I've never heard of this edonkey...so it can't be that popular.

Imagine my suprise then when this person then made me go to their site and I saw their forums and 1000's of bloody people on there.

I'm sticking with audiogalaxy as i've got to the point now where I've downloaded all the popular tunes i'm ever going to get so the only time i'm downloading is when i think of another obscure track that was the b side to a limited edition flexi disc released only to people with 4 fingers on a tuesday in 1983.

You can never find that kind of shit on most P2P programs...shit i can't even find stuff that I wouldn't consider obscure on morpheus (the happy mondays returns like 40 results...what the fuck is up with that? don't you people worship the god that is bez?) so i put up with audiogalaxy or just find some broadband bastard and say 'go and download these songs for me and then throw them on an ftp'

thanks for the info though
LV15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-02, 06:48 AM   #7
multi
Thanks for being with arse

i am there now
yeah i allways thought it was a pretty stifled place
every body is real big on RULES
and crap
they prob rich and could buy most of the stuff they dl
dont know why i say that but hummmm..........

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-02, 09:27 AM   #8
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by LV15
i've got to the point now where I've downloaded all the popular tunes i'm ever going to get so the only time i'm downloading is when i think of another obscure track that was the b side to a limited edition flexi disc released only to people with 4 fingers on a tuesday in 1983.
when you find it LV15 let me know. the dog ate my copy!

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote