P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 19-12-01, 09:40 AM   #1
zombywoof

Default Pressplay to launch limited music service

http://www.totaltele.com/view.asp?Ar...categoryid=626

"Pressplay is limiting its initial launch, simply to be sure we can provide the most dependable, quality service. We intend to expand the availability of this service after the New Year," said Seth Oster, a spokesman for the joint venture".

"Pressplay will offer four pricing plans, as well as a free 14-day trial, which will allow users access to 200 music streams and 20 downloads, the company said."

"The basic plan will be set at US$9.95 and provide users with 300 streams and 30 downloads, while the most expensive or "platinum plan" will cost US$24.95, providing 1,000 streams, 100 downloads and allowing for 20 CD-burns."

Hehe.. This plan sounds much better than anything people have been able to share via PNP or opennap.

zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-01, 09:46 AM   #2
theflaco

You can sign up a 14 days-trial for free!
Just tell us your credit card number!

http://www.pressplay.com/

theflaco
theflaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-01, 09:46 AM   #3
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Big Laugh Re: Pressplay to launch limited music service

Quote:
Originally posted by oscar
"The basic plan will be set at US$9.95 and provide users with 300 streams and 30 downloads, while the most expensive or "platinum plan" will cost US$24.95, providing 1,000 streams, 100 downloads and allowing for 20 CD-burns."
When my 30 downloads are done, do I have to use WinMX to get the rest?

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-01, 10:00 AM   #4
zombywoof

Default Re: Re: Pressplay to launch limited music service

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl

When my 30 downloads are done, do I have to use WinMX to get the rest?

- tg

No, silly...You go platinum!!! This way, you can sit in front of your pc days on end to get those 1000 streams so you get your money's worth.

Last edited by zombywoof : 19-12-01 at 10:06 AM.
Old 19-12-01, 12:45 PM   #5
napho
Dawn's private genie

Big Laugh

PRESSPLAY WAS MY IDEA
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-01, 11:24 PM   #6
schmooky007
hi

Thumbs down

here are a few excerpts from the FAQ:

What file format and bitrate are the download tracks?
For download files, pressplay currently uses the Window Media Audio (WMA) format encoded at 128 Kbps stereo.

*** talk about quality

If I do not use up my downloads, do they carry over into the next billing period?
The unused downloads allotted for your membership period do not carry over to the next month. At the beginning of each billing period, your allotted downloads will reset to the amount described in your membership plan regardless of whether you have unused downloads left over from the prior month.

Can I burn an entire album?
pressplay's current licensing agreements with the music labels only allow two tracks to be burned for each artist per month.

Do I have to be online to burn CDs?
Yes, in order to burn CDs you must have an active Internet connection.

*** that one really made me laugh

Which tracks am I allowed to burn to CD?
Any track that has the burn icon displayed in the Options column of the search results can be burned to CD, provided you have sufficient burns left on your membership. Note that a track must be downloaded before it can be burned.

*** note: this gives you a wink wink that you may not be able burn all of the tracks available in their catalogue

looking at the FAQ page and basically reading between the lines, it becomes quite apparent that the people behind pressplay log each and every track you stream, download, or burn to CD

lets not forget that by subscribing to pressplay you are also giving them quite a bit of personal information about yourself. one would have to wonder whether there is no user profiling going on........ perhaps some juicy info to share with "selected partners"

so........... whos joining first???
schmooky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-01, 07:48 PM   #7
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink Pressplay Parody Site

There's already a Pressplay parody site online, pointing out some good reasons why the music industry is offering much too little much too late to its computerized and networked customers.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-01, 10:22 PM   #8
zombywoof

Yeah. That was some funny stuff on that parody site.

Lets face it. The recording industry missed the boat on pay-for-play a couple of years ago already. Subscription filesharing will not work no matter what pay plan they come up with. The public has been enjoying downloading anything it wanted for so long now that anything less than what is available now via p2p trading will basically be scoffed at.

The only way pay subcsriptions will ever have any shot to work is if the recording industry somehow threatens carriers or forces carriers to control customers access over the internet or to a point where filesharing is driven completely underground.

And until that day comes,......HAPPY SHARING!!