P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 16-12-01, 01:19 PM   #1
nanook
just one of the gang...

muhaaaa cdex help

i just downloaded my first .wav file, without noticing.
i've tried this by myself, but can't seem to get this one file open, in order to convert it to mp3.

first question......is important that i do? which is more compressed?
the file sounds a bit low, not quite the same as another file i got disconnected from.
i figure it's the fact it's a wav.

every time i try to get the one file...........it wants to put my whole "my music" in there to convert........and then nothing shows up.

thanks!

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-01, 01:36 PM   #2
Ruger

if you think it is a bit quiet be sure that you have normalize checked in your settings and on the box that pops up when you select Wav to Mp3.
If you get alot of file names that pop up when you select Wav to Mp3 it may be because you have more wav files in there. just have to scroll down until you find it or move it to an empty folder. This way you can just delet the folder with the wav if you don't have delete the original checked.
Old 16-12-01, 05:48 PM   #3
Jader
iniquitous

Arrow Re: cdex help

Quote:
Originally posted by nanook
the file sounds a bit low, not quite the same as another file i got disconnected from.
i figure it's the fact it's a wav.

The fact that it's a .wav has nothing to do with the audio quality. The only drawack to wavs is that they are huge as they lack the compression of an mp3, but otherwise the sound quality is about the same -- save for the quality done in recording the .wav in the first place.

I myself am still trying to figure out why ripping in CDex takes 20 times longer than it does in MMJB. I can rip an entire album in 192kbps with MMJB in the time it takes CDex to rip a single track at the same bitrate.
Jader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-01, 08:30 PM   #4
Ruger

Default Re: Re: cdex help

Quote:
Originally posted by Jader

I myself am still trying to figure out why ripping in CDex takes 20 times longer than it does in MMJB. I can rip an entire album in 192kbps with MMJB in the time it takes CDex to rip a single track at the same bitrate.

Because MMJB's extraction is flawed and the entire program is over bloated. On the fly ripping encoding should never be done. Always ripp to wave and convert later preferably with Lame not that crap MMJB uses.
If you ask why MMJB sucks try ripping a slightly scratched cd or even a bad one if you like. Then ripp a wave with CDEX in paranoia mode or with EAC and see what you get. I promise MMJB will give you pops and clicks CDEX most likely will not and EAC will for sure not as long as the CD is readable in the first place. If you think CDEX is slow try Exact Audio Copy you will go to sleep But the ripps will be 100% better in the end.

This is the place to go for the best ripping encodiing info on the net http://r3mix.net/
Old 17-12-01, 02:26 AM   #5
schmooky007
hi

well.......the speed at which EAC or cdex extract (in secure or paranoia mode) depends on the quality of the CDROM drive

crappy drives will take forever to extract data correctly, while high quality drives like plextor (for example) can extract digital audio at over 24x and the data will be completely clean

to put this in perspective, it will take plextor less than 10 seconds to rip a 3 minute song, and the result will be completely error-free. no clicks, no pops, no skips, nothing

on the other hand, if you use a low quality drive, it will probably rip at around 2x, taking about 1 1/2 minutes to rip the same 3 minute track

ps- if you think that low quality drives can do high speed DAE without any sync errors, think again. just try it and see for yourself....... jader
schmooky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-01, 03:06 AM   #6
Jader
iniquitous

Say Wha?

Quote:
Originally posted by schmooky007

ps- if you think that low quality drives can do high speed DAE without any sync errors, think again. just try it and see for yourself....... jader

Thanks for the info schmook... here's my drive... maybe it's just me, but I've never been able to get CDex to work efficiently with any of my CD drives. Using MMJB, it's been fast and no detectable clicks or pops, plus I *always* keep my CD's in great condition. Even have the drive on its own IDE cable, set to master... what gives? Soooo sloooooowwww....

Creative Labs CD-ROM Blaster 52x

Rip CDs at 20X maximum rate with AudioAccel™ technology
Compile clear and crisp digital music from favorite CD tracks
Transfer CD-ROM data at up to 7,800KB/second (52X)
AudioAccel Technology for Blazing Ripping Speeds of up to 20X
The time to encode digital audio is affected by the extraction rate of the CD track to the host PC and the encoding software used. The Blaster 52X drive extracts CD tracks at a fast 20X maximum rate, making it possible to create compressed digital audio, such as MP3, WMA or WAV files, in less time than ever before.

Intelligent Control for Quality Ripping
To achieve accurate and clean rip quality, Blaster 52X drive features an Intelligent Control that adjusts the DAE speed to accommodate CDs with slight scratches, fingerprint marks or stains which are common on discs after extended use. This error checking mechanism enables you to produce clear and clean digital audio tracks that sound great - without annoying pops and crackles.
Jader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-01, 12:06 PM   #7
schmooky007
hi

Quote:
Originally posted by Jader

Thanks for the info schmook... here's my drive... maybe it's just me, but I've never been able to get CDex to work efficiently with any of my CD drives. Using MMJB, it's been fast and no detectable clicks or pops, plus I *always* keep my CD's in great condition. Even have the drive on its own IDE cable, set to master... what gives? Soooo sloooooowwww....
how slow is it? if its very slow (say 2x) then despite of this intelligent "quality control" mechanism the drive is having problems extracting data accurately at high speeds. to make sure that the rip is clean, EAC or cdex (paranoia mode) have to slow the DAE rate significantly

i think the reason MMJB rips much faster than EAC or cdex (paranoia) is because it doesn't have any sort of error correction code built into it
schmooky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-01, 03:11 PM   #8
Ruger

I also have a Creative Rom but only a 40x. It is fairly efficient for audio extraction using CDEX it takes maybe 1 minute a track never really timed it. If I use paranoia mode it about doubles. With EAC it takes about 3 minutes a track.
My other drive is a Sony CDRW and is a bit old rather sucky and slow 4x write Plan on getting a Plextor for Xmas even if I have to buy it myself I almost have to invest in a plextor as neither of my drives can read Safedisc 1 or 2 and Cactus Data shield. kinda makes it hard to back up my games

As far as MMJB goes last version used was the first 6.0 version "plus" Not sure what version they are on now? It was fast yes but it did not offer any error correction and the encodings sounded awful compared to Lame at high volume. MMJB is kind of a gimic product. They offer all these options and market it for speed. When in reality all it ever did for me was lock up my computer use up all my resources and create terrible ripps and encodings. But it did uninstall very well
Old 17-12-01, 04:39 PM   #9
nanook
just one of the gang...

so much good info........as usual.
thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-01, 06:21 PM   #10
Ruger

Has anyone tried this yet CDP32

It is a new secure ripper "shareware" with alot of promise though the version out now has yet to out perform EAC. It's fast and the developers claim it to be accurate but not on drives with buggy firmware. Hmmm so I have to buy a good CD-Rom $100+ and the reg fee $? to get a good ripp from it?
It does have a good interface that beats EAC but the peformance is still not quite there yet. Also offers ecoding with your favorite codec installed.
Have to keep an eye on this one not much for competition in the secure ripper area to compare it too though Maybe this will bring some further development from EAC? And a free reg code