P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 13-12-01, 01:23 AM   #1
Shani
Spagal

Arrow need some urgent techie help...

I know this isn't really peer to peer stuff, but any help would be appreciated..

my system has always been sortof unstable in that it would freeze every now and then - but i assumed that was probably because i ran too many programs at once on 128 RAM, so it crashed, and i just restarted and everything was fine.

the real problems started a week or so ago when this techie guy came to upgrade me to 384 RAM. Every time i turn the computer on, it does its stuff and then when it gets into windows I get this blue screen ---> blue screen... so this has been happening for a few days now - i just restart a few times until it stops. (yeah i know not such a good idea...) so today, im doing the same thing, and I get this... screen . That didn't look so bad, I thought it might have fixed stuff. Now im in, everything seems to be working okay, except that I can't restore my Wallpaper --> Desktop...

extra info: running windows 98, ....

thanks
Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-01, 01:48 AM   #2
schmooky007
hi

Lightbulb

restore wallpaper????

start --> settings --> control panel --> display --> "background" tab, scroll down wallpaper list. select the one you want and click 'apply' followed by 'ok'

hope that helps
schmooky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-01, 01:51 AM   #3
gazdet
.- -.. -- .. -.

for starters . click on the blue link line on the screen that says "restore active desktop settings".

that should bring your background back.
gazdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-01, 01:52 AM   #4
Shani
Spagal

hey.. lior ya that worked... so you reckon everythings good now?

and yea i tried clicking on 'restore active desktop settings' - didnt work.. the background change did tho
Old 13-12-01, 01:57 AM   #5
schmooky007
hi

Arrow

>>>'so you reckon everythings good now?'<<<

with the wallpaper? i think it should be ok
schmooky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-01, 02:11 AM   #6
Shani
Spagal

Quote:
Originally posted by schmooky007
>>>'so you reckon everythings good now?'<<<

with the wallpaper? i think it should be ok
Old 13-12-01, 06:10 PM   #7
Ruger

Default Re: need some urgent techie help...

Quote:
Originally posted by Shani

the real problems started a week or so ago when this techie guy came to upgrade me to 384 RAM.
The techie guy might be trying to lure you in?

This site may help to smooth some things out also http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm It's very easy to understand and offers desciptions and insrtuctions of startup programs that you do and don't need. Might help you run a bit smoother
Old 14-12-01, 09:20 PM   #8
Jader
iniquitous

Arrow

Could be a number of things:

1) You have numerous Start items. These include the icons in the System Tray (lower right corner) which you can disable usually by right-clicking and disabling them from that menu or by going into the specific program manually and disabling it from there. Most of these you'll never need except for things like the Volume Control, your Dial-Up shortcut, etc. Some programs have to use the Tray when they are running; this is normal. Just get rid of what you don't need. Also, check your Start -> Programs -> StartUp folder for anything you don't need and just delete them.

2) I wonder if the tech guy installed the RAM correctly? The modules should go from largest to smallest, from banks 0-x; x=number of banks. But since you have 384 now, I'm assuming you have 0, 1, 2 with 128 in each.

3) Try this: Click Start, then Run. In the text box, type system.ini and hit Enter. This will open your system.ini file in text form with Notepad. Scroll down until you see the line [vcache] . If you can't find it, just enter it on its own line and beneath it, type the following... should look like this:

[vcache]
MinFileCache=0
MaxFileCache=32768

Then Save the changes and you'll naturally have to reboot for them to take effect.

4) Umm forgot what else... but I love how your monitor says "Low Radiation". I guess it's better than having one that says High Radiation...
Jader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-01, 09:42 PM   #9
VWguy
Japanamation junkie

Looks like you got all the help you need, but I was going to suggest you run the system file checker too.

Start+run then type in sfc and click ok. Have your windows disc ready if it calls for it.

Prob ok tho.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. -Robin Williams

Your future in a nutshell.
VWguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-01, 07:42 AM   #10
Shani
Spagal

Eek!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jader

4) Umm forgot what else... but I love how your monitor says "Low Radiation". I guess it's better than having one that says High Radiation...
hehe. very perceptive james... thanks for all ur help guys hey ur all guys.. hmm.. its kinda like my car broke down and all these men rock up ...like cowboys saving the day
Old 17-12-01, 07:59 AM   #11
Jader
iniquitous

Quote:
Originally posted by Shani

hehe. very perceptive james... thanks for all ur help guys hey ur all guys.. hmm.. its kinda like my car broke down and all these men rock up ...like cowboys saving the day
When's the last time you formatted the HDD? That's usually the route I take when I start receiving errors and The BSoD.

Hmmm I wouldn't be much help if your car broke down, but I could fill up your radiator... after a few beers... aaahh there I go with the peeing again.
Jader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-01, 08:22 AM   #12
zombywoof

Shani, one thing you might want to check, only if you are still having problems, since you did an upgrade is that your ROM BIOS is up to date. Sometimes, depending on how old your system is, your manufacturer will post bios updates on their website to suppurt updates such as ram upgrades. For example, at one point, I had to load the latest BIOS for my pc so that it would support 128k dimm chip sets. This may not be your problem, and you need to be careful if you do a BIOS update because it can foul up your machine if the BIOS is not properly installed, but it is just something to consider looking into if you run out of ideas or suggestions. You should only have to do something like this unless you really need to. Otherwise, I wouldn't mess around with the BIOS. Usually, RAM upgrades are easy and in most cases, your system should automatically recognize the new memory on boot up without having to worry about BIOS settings.

Last edited by zombywoof : 17-12-01 at 08:40 AM.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote