P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 29-01-02, 11:12 PM   #1
Crankygirl
s.h.i.t. disturber

Question WINMX related

Well, I guess I have inadvertantly ticked off a couple of servers from the trippymx package. Specifically NEWOPEN and SOLARNET. After an attempt to log in is made the word "banned" appears. What in the world could I have done to make this happen?
I don't even think I've ever even successfully logged on to these two. Has anybody else had this happen to them? There are still a heck of a lot of servers left to connect to, but I'd like to avoid the same end result from the rest of them.
Weird. Kinda reminds me of the old Napster days when Roy Orbison's widow blew through like a tornado and made many a user cry
Crankygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-02, 04:15 AM   #2
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Server Providers with EGO problems?

You are not alone friend, every morning I check my server lists and read server messages...

Error Connection refused (does this mean a poor message base and the server is busy?)
You are Banned! Complaints to .... blah blah why?
Permission denied ..... Why?
Sorry your client [WinMx] is banned?
You may not Share more than xxx files (various figures)
You MUST share more than yyy files (various figures)
The File aaaaaa is too small (short joke files etc)
Files with bitrates or 32k NOT accepted (?Why most radio comedy isx at 32k)
Files with ODD bitrates not accepted (?Why Have server operators NEVER heard of VBR)
Connecting too quickly (Banned)
Disconnected because you refused to join xxx chatroom ?

Need I go on, for heavens sake, why do we have to have all this EGO stuff? Surely all server operators do it to try and top the league in user numbers, why so many petty restrictions?

Personally, when I find an ignorant messasge like that, the first thing that happens is the server complex gets REMOVED and stuff them and their silly ideas.

Having said that, I thanks them for their service, and am always willing to inform them of problems (Real ones) and on occasions have struck up interesting contacts with server operators, who are often pleased to get user comments, or be informed of problems.

Snark. Long live P2P its freedom for the minions!
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-02, 05:51 AM   #3
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

For those servers that reject you because of a 'wrong' client simply go to the Servers page on WinMX, select Edit for the problematic server and change the Reported Client Version to something that they accept, e.g. audioGnome. You can change the reported client version either for an individual server or a whole server group (network) depending on the needs.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-02, 09:25 AM   #4
JackSpratts

i've found that name theft and too few files are the main reasons severs don't hook up or they boot guests. it helps to keep 100 files for sharing on at all times as the minimum leach level seems to be creeping upwards. it's at an average of 60 now for some sites, (less and off you go). all the server information is available by clicking.

the name thing is irritating but easily fixed by adding a number etc, altho there is one sever that just likes to kick you off and say it's a name issue. no matter what you change it too, no matter how rare and bizarre, it claims there's already a user w/that moniker on today. it's fun for about 30 secs coming up w/wacky ones to see how far they'll take it but then i just want to hack it out of it's little misery.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-02, 07:23 AM   #5
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Hacking it

Yeah, me too Tg (& JS) change the client name to all sorts, once even to the server Ops name plus "bestware" still got booted off?

I wonder how many will dig in against WinMx 3.0 now? that seems to be just as demanding of server time, though its defaults are set to a much kinder regime, tweeking time at Snarks...

On one occasion, when I was pretty niffed, I even, remonstrated with th Op, about silly settings, he had no idea they were as set and promptly altered them, seems his server had been set by a friend initially, and he had not realised his friend had set such restrictions, well worth finding the admin room and having a go, especially if there is a real operational problem, you never know, you might get better privilidges?

Snark...
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-02, 08:52 AM   #6
JackSpratts

good point snark and worth remembering: "Always Pays to Ask". thanks for the reminder.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-02, 11:33 AM   #7
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
good point snark and worth remembering: "Always Pays to Ask". thanks for the reminder.

- js.
Applies to peer communications as well - a friendly request is often the best thing you can do to guarantee the succesful download of that rare track or an album that perhaps only one user has shared....

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote