P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 08-01-02, 06:37 AM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Screwy If you use SongSpy the RIAA could get you

Generous sharers get Karma points and prestigious titles.
They might also get an assful of the RIAA.

SongSpy's Dilemma
Monday January 7, 2002

SongSpy has been chugging along at a remarkable pace. Since October, it's userbase has shot up from a measly 5,000 to a now staggering 25,000.

Unfortunately, history has not been kind to communities like SongSpy. As SongSpy's userbase rockets past 25,000 and towards 30,000, it will be attracting more than just mp3 enthusiasts. With SongSpy's centralized network, it may be only a matter of time before folks at the RIAA decide its untimely fate.

SongSpy has an interesting feature that's helped distinguish itself from other P2P networks. Those who share large file and bandwidth are rewarded with Karma points. Although no material prizes are offered at the current time, "prestigious" recognition's such as "Top Karma Whore" is given to those who share copious amounts of files.

A word of caution. This may seem like a great way to get people to share and compete for top recognition, however keep in mind that SongSpy is centralized. Any information regarding your mp3 collection is gathered by SongSpy. Furthermore, if and when the RIAA issues subpoenas, do you want your IP address and mp3 collection discovered on SongSpy's Karma lists?

Beneath the success of SongSpy lies a very volatile powder keg. For most P2P networks, we wouldn't need to warn people against sharing an excess of files. Due to SongSpy's centralized nature, and the risks involved, the warning is necessary. The RIAA has gone after individuals who share excessive files in the past, and would surely take advantage of SongSpy's weakness in the near future.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 08:10 AM   #2
theflaco

I never got better than "Pathetic"- level!

theflaco
theflaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 08:41 AM   #3
JackSpratts

i've got 2,500 songs and software on morpheus napho (mostly songs). where would i be in the songspy pantheon?

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 09:10 AM   #4
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
i've got 2,500 songs and software on morpheus napho (mostly songs). where would i be in the songspy pantheon?

- js.
Top Karma Pimp perhaps.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 03:36 PM   #5
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts

- js.
If the RIAA has their way...Prison Bitch!
napho is offline   Reply With Quote