P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 09-05-02, 06:41 PM   #21
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Quote:
Tick auto-connect at startup and put Tracadie.dns2go.com as the address.

Quite a few T1 & T3 people hang here (or have been the last few days)
Thanks ranger I'll be sure to check them out when I get a chance.

Quote:
Use (if you're not already) DC++
Yes, I'm currently using DC++ and found it better then the original. I don't believe the original is being updated anymore so DC++ is your only choice for improved features.

Quote:
and supports multisource downloading
This is news to me. I think I have to play with DC++ a little more because I didn't know this option existed. Although, I'm only using version 0.162 which I'm guessing is pretty out dated by now.

Quote:
The only thing to note is that for some reason hub admins don't like ppl using DC++
I've been told it's because DC++ allows you to connect to multiple hubs meaning that you are only sharing maybe 2-3 upload slots between 10 or more hubs.

And thanks for the personal information thing. I did not know that.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-02, 08:11 PM   #22
assorted
WAH!

neither; i prefer to buy the dvds.

i don't think where movies are at right now are in any way comparable to mp3s. i think of movies as pretty much sub-vhs; while mp3s were near cd quality. as a dvd fan i'm not impressed at all.

the best films (screeners) are still just about near vhs; i hardly consider that good quality. i won't even comment on the cams. even the dvd rips are pretty sub-dvd (even if maybe a bit better then vhs) but without 5.1 encoding or any extras i find it more worthwhile to spend the $20 and buy it.

then again; i'm excited this is happening (the trading of films) and I am having fun watching it grow; but i have no patience for watching those ridiculously large files that still can't provide decent quality.
Old 11-05-02, 08:48 PM   #23
alkizz
annoying

amen brotha..
Old 12-05-02, 10:37 AM   #24
ranger121
Vos vestros servate, meos mihi linquite mores.

Quote:
Originally posted by assorted
i don't think where movies are at right now are in any way comparable to mp3s. i think of movies as pretty much sub-vhs; while mp3s were near cd quality. as a dvd fan i'm not impressed at all.
I think you could be right: But when mp3 first came around the quality was fairly crappy. But now, it's become fairly acceptable, so long as you're not too picky (like: aww, this is shitty.. you just can't hear the 15000khz on that now can you?)

DVD rips that I have made are almost the same quality as the .vob file: it's just converted into an mpeg instead. Makes a movie onto 3 disks instead, that's all, but DVD copiers are getting cheaper ;-) .. Sound quality isn't 5.1 yet on these rips, but I'm sure that given time people will figure out how to get that too, just as they've sorted the mp3 problems.

Just a matter of time, is all.
Old 12-05-02, 01:32 PM   #25
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

If it's a movie that I am really interested in, I'll just rent the DVD from Blockbuster. For all the rest, downloading the 700MB size and playing back on 19" monitor is a perfect way for "free" entertainment (great quality too)
Old 12-05-02, 07:14 PM   #26
assorted
WAH!

I've learned from the whole movie thing that video quality is apparently a lot more subjective then I ever thought it was. And apparently I am a bit more sensitive then others.

With mp3s; incidentally; I was happy as a pig in shit when they were all encoded at 128kbs; and I didn't hear much of a degredation in quality. Many others, of course, did and do. (Of course; I also may have simply had cheap speakers).

ranger: I absolutely agree and I look forward to the future. What sucks is I doubt broadband is going to get any faster for $50 a month; and what you are describing sounds to me like the only way I could ever be interested in downloading films. However it would take forever to pull down 2.1 gigs per film (that's about the size of your rips I assume) and I'd be back in the store purchasing them instead.
Old 13-05-02, 04:43 PM   #27
ranger121
Vos vestros servate, meos mihi linquite mores.

Quote:
Originally posted by assorted
What sucks is I doubt broadband is going to get any faster for $50 a month; and what you are describing sounds to me like the only way I could ever be interested in downloading films. However it would take forever to pull down 2.1 gigs per film...
Now that I do find interesting.

I found, for instance, on Direct Connect, a satellite connection from which I downloaded an mp3 at 70kb/s constant.

So, in theory, if we all had such connections (or better) and found that 200kb/s was the norm, then a 2.5GB download would be no real biggy, would it?

I've probably got another 35 years on this planet: I might just see real broadband yet.
Old 14-05-02, 11:44 PM   #28
dumwaldo
some old putz

seems pretty simple to me...

if you plan to watch on your computer then download one of the smaller copies. these are the avi, asf, ogg, wmv, and whatever else is used to give higher compression.

if you plan to watch on a DVD player then download the bigger version. that would be the mpeg's that are used for VCD or SVCD authoring.

to guage quality by file size is very unfair because dferent formats use different levels of compression. i have seen re-encodes of VCD's that looked every bit as good as the original VCD at half the file size. you just can not guage by size alone, you need to account for formats.