P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 12-02-03, 03:31 PM   #21
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl
Should I (hypothetically speaking) ever bother to code a p2p client I would definitely include an option to form small protected groups with privileged sharing among group members and multisourcing to get the goods.
Hypotheses and stargazing are all well and good, but isn't there anyone out there who'll step up to the challenge of creating this uber app?
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-03, 09:21 AM   #22
JackSpratts

just a follow up -

groove networks got back to me and said while they don't support multi sourcing per se, they do support "partial packets and auto resume from the same source". get it? me neither.

so they are looking deeper into it for me.

personally i think it's just a matter of time before the business p2ps start doing this. it's such a major value-added upgrade.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-03, 03:10 PM   #23
napho
Dawn's private genie

Some guys using Shareaza are trying the same thing you want to do. Of course it's not an exact science this way.

"Anyways, how the distribution will work is one or more people will be the "Splash Releasers" of the anime episode. Splash releasers must have either Cable, a good DSL or something higher (in bandwidth). They will host the file in their Shareaza library. They will un-share everything else in their library (their collection of shared files) except the anime episode. And they can only share the file to accepted Gnutella2 nodes (other Shareaza users). What will happen is the other people who are downloading the file will immidiatly begin uploading the file. This is in result of something called "Partial File Sharing". So in theory, everyone who is downloading the episode is also uploading the episode to someone else. The result of this is that the episode will get out to a lot of people extremely fast. The "Splash Releasers" will only have to upload to 5 people, and each of those 5 people can upload to 5 people, and each of those 5 people can upload to another five people. You get the idea

The goal, of course, is being able to immidiatly download any anime episode that has been released at speeds around 500kbps. This is done using file swarming, to where you download the same file off many people. The more people (or "sources") the file has, the faster it will download. Also, anyone will be able to go to Anenga.com go through the episode guides, see if they see an anime they like and download it quickly and easily. In comparision to having to wait on an IRC channel for hours in a queue slot off a slow FServ, this solution is pretty kick ass =)

Here is an example: .hack//sign - Episode 01 - Role Play

NOTE: You must have Shareaza v1.7 or higher (download the 1.7 beta) installed for this to work. And you must be connected to at least one "G2 Hub". Check your "Network" tab under "Neighbours" and see if you have a "G2 Hub" (look under the "Mode" column). Also, the only person on the network who has this file (AFAIK) is me. So you'll probably be added to queue for the file under me. If you get "No Sources" (and have a G2 Hub etc.) then I'm probably offline =)"
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-03, 05:48 PM   #24
napho
Dawn's private genie

I think this might be something you could use. I saw it last year but forgot the name.

•SUPERFASTDOWNLOAD is a p2p file sharing application.
•A webmaster using the software selects a file to process.
•A tiny SFD file representing the original file is produced.
•The webmaster places the tiny SFD file on their website.
•A webmaster may store the original file on their website or host a backup of the original file on their home computer.
•A visitor to the website downloads the tiny SFD file in a fraction of a second activating the SUPERFASTDOWNLOAD software.
•The client connects with a central server to obtain a list of IP addresses of other people who have the same file.
•The file is then downloaded in parallel from multiple computers filling the available bandwidth to the maximum resulting in superfast speeds.
•The more popular a file the faster it will download.
SUPERFASTDOWNLOAD software uses a credit system to regulate
speed distribution.
• Webmasters may run their own SFD Central Server software.

http://www.superfastdownload.com/01_index.html
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-03, 10:54 AM   #25
assorted
WAH!

so far this looks great napho. i think i'm gonna try this.

i'll let y'all know if we do
Old 25-02-03, 02:06 PM   #26
assorted
WAH!

k... i've given this a good study and it is EXACTLY what i need.

the only disadvantage i see is that it seems to have a ratio (i'm not sure how high) that can't be turned off it seems; even if your running your own server...

but other then that it's right fucking what i wanted/needed. thanks a bunch napho!
Old 25-02-03, 03:45 PM   #27
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

I love to hear a good success story. Glad it worked out for you assorted.

Napho rules.