P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 11-10-02, 03:37 PM   #1
assorted
WAH!

Red Face soulseek

I'm a semi-happy soulseek user.

I just got it up and running and have been using it for a few days now.

Searches kill me they're so fucking slow. The upside is I often find what I want; and even if queued initially I'm finding that I'll eventually get it. Though the program isn't showing any intelligence in terms of the fact that a certain song having the same size and sharing a few nouns and bitrate IS THE SAME SONG. Still, at least I'm finding what I want mp3-wise, unlike kazaa/winmx.

The chats look promising (really cool and intersting musical genres have very crowded chats) but i can't seem to browse anyone which makes them useless. this is very likely my fault as i'm behind a router that i haven't configured properly yet. soulseek FAQ has helpfully let me know what ports to open so with some luck i can fix this.

Selection is great; but is nowhere near the fucking brilliance that audiogalaxy was. I still await that audiogalaxy replacement but for now soulseek will do.
Old 11-10-02, 04:17 PM   #2
zombywoof

I agree.. Its not quite what audiogalaxy was, but not bad for finding alternatiuve stuff.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-02, 05:45 PM   #3
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Cry Input Needed

I couldn't agree more about AG.

However before I even try Soulseek, someone out there that knows: Can I find progressive, fusion stuff like: PFM, DFA, Le Orme, Kaipa, Roine Stolt, Pulsar, Ange, Atoll, Deus Ex Maquina, Eela Craig, Collegium Musicum, Fermata, SBB, A Piedi Nudi, Grobscnitt, Korai Orom, Flied Egg, Kenso, Kazumi Watanabe, Flower Kings, Harmonium, Van Der Graff Generator, Landberk, Thijs Van Leer, Jan Ackerman, Tantra, Tako, Tai Phon, Nathan Mhall, Maneige, Latte e Miele, just to name a few ?

No matter what program I used: Other than AG, despite all the use and abuse NO ONE beats KL right now.

So any kind soul out there that knows for a FACT, not virtual word of mouth, where this music has gone, please let me know so I can stop grieving about AG.

God!. AG, I don't care what my wife thinks, I'll miss you for ever.

Well..., at least until you reincarnate and come back to life.

spstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-02, 10:01 AM   #4
Haole
Pronunciation: 'hau-lE

Default Re: Input Needed

Quote:
Originally posted by spstn

So any kind soul out there that knows for a FACT, not virtual word of mouth, where this music has gone, please let me know so I can stop grieving about AG.

God!. AG, I don't care what my wife thinks, I'll miss you for ever.

OK, please don't take this the wrong way:

You probably have alot of the music of the afore-mentioned artists, correct? Admittedly, some of my searches didn't turn up many results--there were plenty of Grobschnitt and PFM, although many were not related files--but you could probably bring a bounty of that stuff over to Soulseek.

The best thing about Soulseek is that there are a large number of Avant-garde artists in many genres, from electronica to classical, that fit into the same philosophy as your choices. Much of what I've found I've never heard before, which is why I like it. For me it's about finding music that I've never encountered and would have to spend enormous amounts of money to hear, not to mention whether I like it or not. I use www.amg.com to point me towards artists who may somehow be related or similar to artists I dig. I've had tremendous success with the combo.

When you do find the artists the you like, there is very little file maintenance that's needed, because you can download entire folders, unlike AG.

Check it out--yes, AG is sorely missed, but it's gone and it ain't comin' back, so get your ProgRock over to Soulseek. What have you got to lose?
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-02, 04:05 PM   #5
RIAAEnemy#1
Apprentice Napsterite and Music worshipper

I also agree that soulseek is a great program but nowhere nearly as good as AG but in my opinion better than Kazaa because of all the bogus, looped and terrible quality files on kazaa. My onlybone to pick with ss is that most of the tunes you look for are qued by an extreme amount of users.
I am always l00king for a g00d music review/music community(f0rum),
If y0u kn0w 0ne, PLEASE pm me a link.
RIAAEnemy#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-02, 09:09 PM   #6
assorted
WAH!

Default Re: Input Needed

Quote:
Originally posted by spstn
do i get a dollar if i do? hehe.

there is a server on direct connect called "Audiogalaxy Progressive" it has a lot of the stuff you are talking about.
Old 22-11-02, 10:17 AM   #7
Haole

Any opinions on Direct Connect? Anyone?
Old 22-11-02, 11:41 AM   #8
assorted
WAH!

Quote:
Originally posted by mdneer
Any opinions on Direct Connect? Anyone?
its' not audiogalaxy if that's what yer wondering. it's mainly good for games and movies; not music really at all.

however, in a fluke, the exact types that sptn was talking about (about 200 or so of them) have set up shop as a server on direct connect with all that stuff he listed.
Old 22-11-02, 01:39 PM   #9
Haole

Quote:
Originally posted by assorted

its' not audiogalaxy if that's what yer wondering. it's mainly good for games and movies; not music really at all.

however, in a fluke, the exact types that sptn was talking about (about 200 or so of them) have set up shop as a server on direct connect with all that stuff he listed.
Thanks, you pretty much summed it up for me. I'm looking strictly for music and the occasional app, so I'll stick to what I'm using.
BTW, I've got tons of music on cd-rs (all genres, not really any pop, though), so if anyone wants to be added to my soulseek user list, it's mdneer--just pm me for any requests or recommendations.