P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 21-12-02, 10:06 AM   #1
JackSpratts

Default File Swapper Eluding Pursuers

Unlike Napster, Kazaa's Global Nature Defies Legal Attacks
Ariana Eunjung Cha

TALLINN, Estonia -- Their office is spartan, with only five computers in various states of repair and nary a decoration on the wall. Few outside this Baltic capital would even recognize their names, though many of the world's largest recording and movie studios are well aware of their accomplishment.

Jaan Tallinn, Ahti Heinla and Priit Kasesalu are the creators of Kazaa.

Over the past two years, the oddly named product has become the most popular online file-swapping system in the world. Roughly 160 million people have downloaded the software, primarily to trade music, TV shows and movies over the Internet. At any given time, more than 3 million people are running the program, double the number that Napster had at its peak.

Kazaa has become so popular so fast that a coalition of entertainment companies has filed suit in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, seeking to shut it down. The coalition says the service has become a "candy store of infringement," where millions of pirated copies of songs, writings, TV shows and motion pictures are available to anyone, free.

Those same arguments helped the entertainment industry successfully close down Napster. But going after Kazaa is proving more difficult.

That's because Kazaa is a multinational creation. The three young men who developed the software hail from Estonia. They were commissioned to do the work by a company in the Netherlands. That company has since sold the software to another based in the Pacific island nation of Vanuatu, whose executives work in Australia.

Filing suit against Kazaa, therefore, has forced the entertainment industry to negotiate the legal rules of no fewer than five countries on three continents.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2002Dec20.html

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-02, 10:26 AM   #2
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Thanks for the interesting story, Jack, and cheers to Jaan!

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-02, 11:02 AM   #3
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default This whole thing is reminding me more and more of the Alien movie

Quote:

Getting that access would also give music- and moviemakers something potentially much more valuable: information about how Kazaa works, specifically whether there's an easy way to shut it down.

Yea, heh-heh. Yep yep - for passing it on JS.

Rock on guys!!

It's the principle of the thing really.

It's also one of the reasons why I still keep a form of king kazaa on my comp.

In a rip-off kindof world, it feels pretty good to be able to say........... every once in a while!

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-02, 11:07 AM   #4
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl
Thanks for the interesting story, Jack, and cheers to Jaan!

- tg
ditto, and he's such a modest guy too!

seriously, i hope all this isn't driving you crazy jaan. history is on your side even if, temporarily, the law is not.

- js.
Old 22-12-02, 12:09 PM   #5
jaan

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
seriously, i hope all this isn't driving you crazy jaan. history is on your side even if, temporarily, the law is not.
thanks, jack & others! i disagree on the law thing though: the law is definitely on our side. nobody ever has questioned the legality of p2p technology in general. also, contrary to what the article said, we, as a company, only developed the fasttrack p2p stack, not kazaa itself.

- jaan
jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-02, 01:38 PM   #6
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by jaan
thanks, jack & others! i disagree on the law thing though: the law is definitely on our side. nobody ever has questioned the legality of p2p technology in general.
i’m with you there jaan, as are many others - tho i’m afraid the media companies and certain lawmakers have other ideas on the subject. then again that’s why many of us are here.

keep in mind, you have much support going forward.

- js..