P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 27-01-05, 06:50 PM   #1
chrisjdel

Default P2P Tracking Technology

I'm a student on a University network and recently had my service disconnected for two days because of a copyright infringement complaint. What I want to know is, how do they track people? What sort of software do they use and is there any way to defeat it? Somebody out there must have written a blocking utility to keep those riaa-mpaa parasites out of your system. I don't know why I was singled out when there's 25,000 other students on this campus doing the exact same thing every day, but I'd appreciate any advice you could give me on how to protect myself. eDonkey and BitTorrent are my clients of choice, if that helps.
Old 27-01-05, 09:20 PM   #2
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

hi Chris...welcome to the NU

nothing's foolproof but i believe Peer Guardian helps:

Quote:
PeerGuardian is a powerful yet petite firewall application especially designed for P2P users and anyone else who wants to protect his or her computer from unauthorized searches instigated by private agencies and corporations.

PeerGuardian works by blocking and logging all TCP/IP connections to and from known IP ranges used by known P2P foes, such as the RIAA, MPAA, MediaForce, MediaDefender, BaySTP, Ranger, OverPeer, NetPD, and more.
get it here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Securit...rdian-Pr.shtml
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-05, 01:33 AM   #3
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

I'm going to mention ProtoWall, as I think it's better because it uses less resources. PeerGuardian works fine, but when I tried it last it was a bit of a resource hog. I haven't tried PeerGuardian for a while, maybe they reworked it.

PeerGuardian and ProtoWall are both IP blockers that prevent "undesirable" IP addresses from connecting to your computer. These IP addresses come from a list in a file named guarding.p2p. Both programs use this file. The file should be regularly updated for maximum protection. Note that this is not 100% protection.

Whereas ProtoWall may be better, you may not be able to use it unless you have administrator rights on the computer you are using. ProtoWall requires the manual installation of a "driver" service in the TCP/IP properties for the internet connection. ProtoWall will only work on Windows XP, 2000, and 2003 Server operating systems.

Should you want to try ProtoWall, it is available free here:
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/pw.html

Be sure to get the FAQ too, as it has the necessary instructions to install the driver.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-05, 05:16 PM   #4
ant_uk

This all sounds great, but will it not still be possible for the MPAA to track you via your isp. My Isp received this a couple of days ago

Dear Sir or Madam:

"Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc.", Inc. and its affiliated companies are the exclusive owners of copyrights in motion pictures and television, including the property listed below.

It has come to our attention that xxxx Inc. is the service provider for the IP address listed below, from which unauthorized copying and distribution (downloading, uploading, file serving, file "swapping" or other similar activities) of "Columbia Pictures Industies, Inc."'s (property)(s) listed below is taking place. We believe that the Internet access of the user engaging in this infringement is provided by xxx Inc. or a downstream service provider who purchases this connectivity from xxx Inc..

I have switched isp, but there does not seam to be a way around this, or is there?
Old 18-02-05, 06:01 PM   #5
JackSpratts

at the end of the day the mpaa, the riaa or any other interested party can use whatever p2p program you're using to verify your shares and take action against you. ultimately it's that simple. although your chances of getting caught are slight, about 1 in 30,000 here in the us, there is unfortunately no complete insurance against it atm. obviously some apps are “less dangerous” than others (substitute “less popular” for less dangerous if you get my drift), but none are totally immune from rare but possible persecution. the safest by far are the private, invitation only systems, while the least safe are the wide open ones, like gnutella, fasttrack etc. sure they’re the fun ones, like riding a motorcycle w/out a helmet (something i’m guilty of fairly regularly), but like a lot of fun stuff, there can be a downside with the increase of risk.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote