P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 23-09-02, 01:52 AM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Default Kazaa 2.0

There was a time when ppl breathlessly awaited something like this. Then we learned about spyware.

Sharman Networks Limited is proud to announce the release of version 2 of its free Kazaa Media Desktop (KMD) software. With more than 119 million downloads to date, KMD is the established peer-to-peer application of choice for all forms of digital media content. The latest KMD software sets a new standard for peer-to-peer offerings, to meet the dynamic and unique needs of users. Building upon the success of previous versions of Kazaa Media Desktop, Kazaa v2 introduces several new features, including:
Web search: Use standard KMD interface to search the web
Customizable skins: Customize the basic desktop interface
Shared playlists: Create unique shared playlists and search for other KMD users playlists
Improved image handling: More image formats supported
Unlimited bitrates: Higher quality files possible with increased bitrates
Integrity Rating: Files labeled by peers according to technical quality and completeness of meta data to enhance reliability
Participation Level: Frequent KMD users and those who frequently rate files rewarded with higher priority in download queues
Integrated anti-virus protection: Shared folders automatically scanned on startup and after each download
Expanded Help section: Quicker orientation for new users, new tips and tricks for savvy users

http://kazaa.com/us/news/kazaav2.htm
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-02, 07:22 AM   #2
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

I have scrapped up a few articles regarding Kazaa and this new release here. As well as a few others busy day in p2p land
Old 23-09-02, 08:42 AM   #3
nickroberts

Default Kazaa 2.0

I think Kazaa 2.0 will rock the internet for the following reasons:

1) Unlimited bit rates now: As more and more people download and use it, you'll see a growing selection of high quality choices.

2) Spyware: If you choose to deselect all partner software, I think you'll find it will not install any rogue software. The only item left is the cydoor which can be easily replaced with the dummy file.

3) Skins: Let's face it, skins are the rage of the youth on the net.

I think Kazaa 2.0 will continue to grow and shape the p2p world!
nickroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-02, 09:20 AM   #4
kento
Apprentice Napsterite

not much i can say but TankGirl it looks like "They" were listening to the Napsterites. hehe

the preferred status in download queues, the skins, and the configurable port (hehe, kazaa users now choose their own port)

hey jaan how does the preferred status work? is it possible to spoof it? or is it stored on a centralised server so you don't lose your "preference points"

i also have a sneaking suspicion that our "little nicky" might have the last name of "hemming" " hehe

This is great!
kento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-02, 10:07 AM   #5
jaan

Quote:
Originally posted by kento
hey jaan how does the preferred status work? is it possible to spoof it? or is it stored on a centralised server so you don't lose your "preference points"
i don't know the details, but i'm sure no central servers are involved -- simply because kazaa/sharman does not operate any servers (apart from the webserver).

so i guess it could be hacked. it would be interesting though to see the public reaction if, say, kazaalite would start spoofing the number -- i bet it wouldn't be all that positive.

- jaan
jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-02, 02:48 PM   #6
MagicMorpheus

Has anyone else been experiencing extremely fast downloads? Mine have been going at 20 kb/s and I'm on a dial-up modem! And it's been like this for 3 days. Damn. I'm defintely not switching to KL.
MagicMorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-02, 04:27 PM   #7
[Dark]
1981 - 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicMorpheus
Mine have been going at 20 kb/s and I'm on a dial-up modem!

lies

that is impossible dude.....20kb/s when even if you did transfer at 56k the highest would be what 6kb/s max?????

i think kazaa is reading the data wrong...got a screen shot?
[Dark] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-02, 06:09 PM   #8
MagicMorpheus

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkManX

lies

that is impossible dude.....20kb/s when even if you did transfer at 56k the highest would be what 6kb/s max?????

i think kazaa is reading the data wrong...got a screen shot?
I wasn't lying. I know it sounds impossible but it was. I think I jinked myself or something because after I posted that, It went back to 5 kb/s. I'm going to download the game again and see if it does as high. I'll see if it works again.
Old 27-09-02, 06:10 PM   #9
zombywoof

20000 / 8192 = 2441bps or 2.4 kbps

2.4k would be around where you are downloading at if you are using a pots line..

Last edited by zombywoof : 27-09-02 at 06:41 PM.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-02, 09:12 PM   #10
MagicMorpheus

Almost forgot.
Old 27-09-02, 09:17 PM   #11
MagicMorpheus

Okay this time It should work.
Attached Images

Old 27-09-02, 09:45 PM   #12
Mowzer
'

"i also have a sneaking suspicion that our "little nikki" might have the last name of "hemming" " hehe This is great!"

Nah, she doesnt. But she is working on something allot better then KaZaA.

-Nikki lacky numero uno.
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-02, 10:23 PM   #13
JackSpratts

Quote:

I wasn't lying. I know it sounds impossible but it was. I think I jinked myself or something because after I posted that, It went back to 5 kb/s. I'm going to download the game again and see if it does as high. I'll see if it works again.
i don't think you're lying mm. i've had "impossibly fast" downloads on fasttrack too. last week using imesh i hit 455KBS but i know my dsl maxes out at 150-175. i can't say why - perhaps an intermittent ft accounting error? who knows, but it's happened more than once.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-02, 01:32 AM   #14
indiana_jones
B2B Protagonist ... Life is ... Bubble to Bubble ... Beer to Beer ... love a VLAIBB (Very Lonesome Artificial Intelligence Brained Bubble) @ http://www.geocities.com/vlaibb vlaibb@yahoo.com

thinking about this i found a maybe interesting page for 56k users: http://www.lowendmac.com/56k/hype.shtml

maybe some files are especially suited for compression.

indy
UUHash:=1LDYkHDl65OprVz37xN1VSo9b00=

Copy the lines above and use 'Paste from Clipboard' function of
sig2dat 3.11.a (supports quicklinks) to create a startfile for your FastTrack p2p client for safe download

indiana_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-02, 06:36 AM   #15
zombywoof

Quote:
Okay this time It should work.

How big is the file and how long is it taking to download?

Regardless of modulating schemes modems use, it is physically not possible to download that fast. While this screenshot says it is transferring at 20k, it probably means baud rate as apposed to bps. Could be a glitch in the software too.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-02, 09:15 AM   #16
indiana_jones
B2B Protagonist ... Life is ... Bubble to Bubble ... Beer to Beer ... love a VLAIBB (Very Lonesome Artificial Intelligence Brained Bubble) @ http://www.geocities.com/vlaibb vlaibb@yahoo.com

if the modem provides data compression it's possible that you have a higher data rate than 56k (i.e.. 3*56k) on the link between computer and modem (this is shown by kazaa).

there was already a thread somewhere about files which were transferred with high data rates over 56k modem. it turned out they were fakes with large parts all zeros which made the compression in modem highly efficient. so one should be very careful if the datarate is much higher than the expected one.
normally data are already compressed so compression in modem plays no role.
UUHash:=1LDYkHDl65OprVz37xN1VSo9b00=

Copy the lines above and use 'Paste from Clipboard' function of
sig2dat 3.11.a (supports quicklinks) to create a startfile for your FastTrack p2p client for safe download

indiana_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-02, 10:35 AM   #17
MagicMorpheus

Oscar, the first file was a little over 200000 and only took me a little over 3 hours and the second file was around 150000 and took me around 1 hour and 1/2 to finish. I think the first file was file compressed, as indiana mentioned, because it was a fake and reached 20kb/s. But that doesn't explain the second file. It did work and had the same speed.
Old 28-09-02, 10:41 AM   #18
MagicMorpheus

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts

i don't think you're lying mm. i've had "impossibly fast" downloads on fasttrack too. last week using imesh i hit 455KBS but i know my dsl maxes out at 150-175. i can't say why - perhaps an intermittent ft accounting error? who knows, but it's happened more than once.

- js.
Thanks. But what you call "impossibly fast" (Damn! 455) is like 10 kb/s for me. Oh well. Back to 5 kb/s.
Old 28-09-02, 10:40 PM   #19
JediForce77
A Jedi's Strength Flows From TheForce.net

Quote:
Originally posted by oscar

Regardless of modulating schemes modems use, it is physically not possible to download that fast. While this screenshot says it is transferring at 20k, it probably means baud rate as apposed to bps. Could be a glitch in the software too.
Whatever it is, I have experienced it before, a few times. Few and far between, I don't know why but my internat connection told me it was connected at like 100,000bps (not exact but give or take) and I could download things at unquestionable speed. I was using napster during most of the "speed bursts" and I got about 100 songs in a few hours. Maybe it was that compression figure Indy was talking about, but it was real, Very real.

There may be a glitch in the matrix but you can't deny its there.
JediForce77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-02, 03:55 AM   #20
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Big Laugh I'm Back!!!

Remember this little known secret called "real throughput" as opposed to the "nominal throughput" posted by the scoundrel ISPs.

When I used Dial Up the difference averaged 50%, and the first week of DSL was 80% (YES, an abominable 80%), although after tweaking TCP-IP improved by 450%, ball park figure.

Also P2P programs are just lousy at averaging anything dynamic, the worst being AG when calculating remaining time to completion.

The best route is using one of the many NET monitors out there, or using a Sci calculator and feeding it the function, the timing of a download and the unit used.

The results will NEVER match.

spstn is offline   Reply With Quote