P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 15-12-04, 08:44 PM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Default BT Sites Going Down Like Bowling Pins Or Cheap Hookers

One after another, whether due to the police politely knocking on their doors or voluntarily.

http://www.phoenix-torrents.com/
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-04, 12:32 PM   #2
Kris404
How may I help you?

I thought Phoenix died a long time back. Youceff is history too by the way.
Kris404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-04, 05:03 PM   #3
napho
Dawn's private genie

Now Torrentbits is MIA. http://irc.netsplit.de/channels/?num...ry=torrentbits
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-04, 02:09 PM   #4
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Sleepy

SuprNova has just announced that they will shut down permanently:
Quote:
Greetings everybody,

As you have probably noticed, we have often had downtimes. This was because it was so hard to keep this site up!
But now we are sorry to inform you all, that SuprNova is closing down for good in the way that we all know it.
We do not know if SuprNova is going to return, but it is certainly not going to be hosting any more torrent links.
We are very sorry for this, but there was no other way, we have tried everything.

Thank you all that helped us, by donating mirrors or something else, by uploading and seeding files, by helping people out on IRC and on forum, by spreading the word about SuprNova.org.

It is a sad day for all of us!

Please visit SuprNova.org every once in a while to get the latest news on what is happening and if there is anything new to report on.

As we wish to maintain the nice comunity that we created, we are keppig forums and irc servers open.

Thank you all and Goodbye!
sloncek & the rest of the SuprNova Team
Even if the message does not say it, the timing and the mentioning about not hosting any torrent links in the future suggest strongly that they have also been targeted in the MPAA's campaign.

The ongoing events are likely to change the p2p landscape in a major way. BitTorrent in its present form - relying on public link websites and centralized trackers - has been vulnerable to attacks all along. Considering its huge popularity there will be a great demand for a safer decentralized network operating on the same efficient file distribution principles. We know that SuprNova guys themselves were working on a project called Exeem that was meant to decentralize at least some of their functionality. It remains to be seen if they will continue with the project... in any case it is certain that the resourceful p2p developer community will come up with new solutions for the distribution of large files. Yet another case of forced technological evolution.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-04, 04:56 PM   #5
multi
Thanks for being with arse

wb...tg

[2c]
if i am not mistaken many of the ed2k hashlink sites are getting taken down also
tho i am looking forward to trying a new safer BT client
i think emule or some hybrid in the future can be more effective
in decentralising the verified hashlinks
could it be possible maybe the huge verified hashlink community
could move from the forum envionment to publish the links
to publishing them to xml/rss and having them read in the actual program itself
(users would have to find and enter the right ip recieve the file-like say a server list)
not that this wouldn't still be attcked by the pigs..
but i think you could make it alot harder with something like this
[/2c]

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-04, 05:18 PM   #6
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi
i think emule or some hybrid in the future can be more effective
in decentralising the verified hashlinks
The distribution of hashlinks (.torrent files) through alternative channels is not a big technical problem... basically any p2p network can be used for it. A bigger problem is the vulnerability of the trackers. In principle this could be handled by building the tracker functionality into clients so that any client with a good bandwidth, unrestrictive firewall and enough processor power could take the role of a tracker, being a sort of supernode in the network (although technically not similar to what Kazaa supernodes do). I think Azureus already has an embedded tracker. This still leaves the problem of link reliability/moderation, something that is quite easy to handle through a trusted website but more challenging to implement in a fully decentralized system.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote