P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 13-07-06, 09:20 PM   #1
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

Default Valerie Plame, Joseph Wilson IV file civil suit against Libby, Rove, Cheney, and 10 “

Valerie Plame Wilson and Joseph C. Wilson, IV have filed a civil lawsuit in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia (Washington, D.C.). The suit names I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby Jr., Karl C. Rove, Richard B. Cheney, and 10 "John Doe" Defendants.

Joseph C. Wilson, IV is the husband of Valerie Plame Wilson. He served as a member of the U.S. Diplomatic Service from 1976 through 1998. He was Senior Director for Africa at the National Security Council under President Clinton. From 1988 to 1991, he was Deputy Chief of Mission at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, Iraq.

Valerie Plame Wilson, the wife of Joseph C. Wilson, IV worked for the CIA until January 2006. In 2002, she was working for the CIA as an operations officer in the Directorate of Operations.

Robert Novak is a newspaper columnist that wrote a column on July 13, 2003 that was published in the Chicago Sun Times, The Washington Post, and elsewhere on July 14, 2003. The article contained the following two sentences
Quote:
“(Joseph) Wilson never worked for the CIA, but his wife, Valerie Plame is an Agency operative on weapons of mass destruction. Two Senior administration officials told me Wilson’s wife suggested sending him to Niger (to investigate a report that Iraq was seeking nuclear material from Niger)”.
I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby Jr. Was formerly Chief of Staff to Vice President Richard B. Cheney and Assistant to the Vice President for National Security Affairs. Libby resigned his positions in the White House on October 28, 2005 following his indictment by a Federal Grand Jury on federal crimes.

Richard B. Cheney is the current Vice President of the United States.

The Defendant John Does No. 1-10 (according to the complaint) are:
Quote:
“persons whose identities are currently unknown but who are believed to be persons who were either employed by the Unites States Government in senior positions at all times relevant to this Complaint or who were political operatives with close ties to such persons.”
A copy of the filing in .pdf format can be downloaded from http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/se...Plame_Suit.pdf
The file is approximately 4.04 MB.

The suit makes allegations of First Amendment (Freedom of Speech) violations, Fifth Amendment (Equal Treatment, Right to Privacy) violations, Civil Rights Conspiracy (conspiracy to deprive persons of civil rights), Failure to Prevent Civil Rights Violations, Public Disclosure of Private Facts, and Civil Conspiracy.

The suit requests “Compensatory damages ... in an amount that is fair, just, and reasonable”; “Exemplary and punitive damages”; “Attorney’s fees and costs”; and “All other appropriate relief as may be just and proper”.

The case number is 1:06CV01258 and is assigned to Judge John D. Bates. The Plaintiffs have demanded a trial by jury.

Should be interesting.

The suit neither names the President nor columnist Robert Novak (Novak is the columnist who caused the information regarding Valerie Plame Wilson’s identity as a CIA operative to be published in the media).

The only indictment in the matter is against Libby for alleged lying under oath.

The “damage” seems to have been done by communicating Valerie Plame Wilson’s identity as a CIA operative to newspaper columnist Robert Novak, who then published the information. In going over the complaint, it seems that Libby was not the person who gave the information to Novak. However, Libby is still being accused of identifying Plame as a CIA employee to other reporters. The complaint alleges that Karl Rove, or one or more of the John Doe defendants were responsible for giving Robert Novak the information on Valerie Plame Wilson’s CIA employee status. Other statements in the matter by Novak and Rove (via attorney) suggest that Novak did not learn of Valerie Plame’s CIA employment from Rove. Rove apparently said words to the effect “I have heard the same information” regarding Valerie Plame Wilson’s CIA status. This is not actually a denial or confirmation of Valerie Plame Wilson’s identity as a CIA operative.

As expected, it is difficult to sort out fact from fiction via the various reports we have access to.
Even though the were no “leak” indictments, the burden of proof rules in a civil case are very different than in a criminal matter. As O.J. Simpson found out, you can be found not guilty in a criminal matter and still lose a civil case.

Hell, all they have to do is rat-pack the jury with anti-Bush liberals and they will have the case in the bag. The U.S. taxpayers get the rosy ramrod in the end. (Pun intentional).

I think it’s pretty interesting that:

1) The U. S. suspicions were regarding sale of “yellow cake” uranium to Iraq by Niger. These suspicions were triggered by an intelligence report from the U.K..
2) Niger is in the continent of Africa.
3) Valerie Plame Wilson’s husband (Joseph C. Wilson IV) was Senior Director for Africa at the National Security Council under President Clinton. (Among other noteworthy infamous accomplishments, Clinton sold U.S. nuclear weapon technology to China).
4) Josepth C. Wilson was also Deputy Chief of Mission in the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, Iraq from 1988 to 1991.
5) Mr. Wilson’s wife (Valerie Plame Wilson) was an operative of the CIA, was active in WMD matters and was responsible for suggesting that her husband be sent to Niger to investigate the yellow cake uranium suspicions.
6) A “op-ed” written by Mr. Wilson regarding his February 2002 trip to Niger was published by the New York Times on July 6, 2003. The op-ed content can be viewed at http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0706-02.htm
7) Mr. Wilson’s “investigation” is the ONLY SOURCE of information contraindicating sale of “yellow cake” uranium by Niger to Iraq. What was the conclusion of the “investigation”? After about ten days of “investigation” he wrote “It did not take long to conclude that it highly doubtful that any such transaction had ever taken place”. In my lexicon, “highly doubtful..had ever taken place” and “definitely did not take place” are not the same thing. Doubt means uncertainty. Wilson’s own report therefor forwards some possibility that the yellow cake uranium transaction could have taken place. As such, the report does not rule out that the yellow cake uranium transaction occurred as per other intelligence reports. Further, the report even acknowledges Iraq had chemical and biological WMD programs.

Wilson had connections in Niger and in Iraq. He was the person to “investigate” the information on the sale of yellow cake uranium by Niger to Iraq. The recommendation of his wife, who worked within the CIA in the area of WMD sent him to Niger. All coincidence? Perhaps it is - and perhaps it isn’t.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-06, 12:04 AM   #2
Malk-a-mite

Quote:
7) Mr. Wilson’s “investigation” is the ONLY SOURCE of information contraindicating sale of “yellow cake” uranium by Niger to Iraq.
It had already been discounted by our allies overseas.
===================
Malk-a-mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-06, 04:57 AM   #3
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakonix
Valerie Plame Wilson and Joseph C. Wilson, IV have filed a civil lawsuit in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia (Washington, D.C.). The suit names I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby Jr., Karl C. Rove, Richard B. Cheney, and 10 "John Doe" Defendants.

Joseph C. Wilson, IV is the husband of Valerie Plame Wilson. He served as a member of the U.S. Diplomatic Service from 1976 through 1998. He was Senior Director for Africa at the National Security Council under President Clinton. From 1988 to 1991, he was Deputy Chief of Mission at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, Iraq.

Valerie Plame Wilson, the wife of Joseph C. Wilson, IV worked for the CIA until January 2006. In 2002, she was working for the CIA as an operations officer in the Directorate of Operations.

Robert Novak is a newspaper columnist that wrote a column on July 13, 2003 that was published in the Chicago Sun Times, The Washington Post, and elsewhere on July 14, 2003. The article contained the following two sentences

I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby Jr. Was formerly Chief of Staff to Vice President Richard B. Cheney and Assistant to the Vice President for National Security Affairs. Libby resigned his positions in the White House on October 28, 2005 following his indictment by a Federal Grand Jury on federal crimes.

Richard B. Cheney is the current Vice President of the United States.

The Defendant John Does No. 1-10 (according to the complaint) are:

A copy of the filing in .pdf format can be downloaded from http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/se...Plame_Suit.pdf
The file is approximately 4.04 MB.

The suit makes allegations of First Amendment (Freedom of Speech) violations, Fifth Amendment (Equal Treatment, Right to Privacy) violations, Civil Rights Conspiracy (conspiracy to deprive persons of civil rights), Failure to Prevent Civil Rights Violations, Public Disclosure of Private Facts, and Civil Conspiracy.

The suit requests “Compensatory damages ... in an amount that is fair, just, and reasonable”; “Exemplary and punitive damages”; “Attorney’s fees and costs”; and “All other appropriate relief as may be just and proper”.

The case number is 1:06CV01258 and is assigned to Judge John D. Bates. The Plaintiffs have demanded a trial by jury.

Should be interesting.

The suit neither names the President nor columnist Robert Novak (Novak is the columnist who caused the information regarding Valerie Plame Wilson’s identity as a CIA operative to be published in the media).

The only indictment in the matter is against Libby for alleged lying under oath.

The “damage” seems to have been done by communicating Valerie Plame Wilson’s identity as a CIA operative to newspaper columnist Robert Novak, who then published the information. In going over the complaint, it seems that Libby was not the person who gave the information to Novak. However, Libby is still being accused of identifying Plame as a CIA employee to other reporters. The complaint alleges that Karl Rove, or one or more of the John Doe defendants were responsible for giving Robert Novak the information on Valerie Plame Wilson’s CIA employee status. Other statements in the matter by Novak and Rove (via attorney) suggest that Novak did not learn of Valerie Plame’s CIA employment from Rove. Rove apparently said words to the effect “I have heard the same information” regarding Valerie Plame Wilson’s CIA status. This is not actually a denial or confirmation of Valerie Plame Wilson’s identity as a CIA operative.

As expected, it is difficult to sort out fact from fiction via the various reports we have access to.
Even though the were no “leak” indictments, the burden of proof rules in a civil case are very different than in a criminal matter. As O.J. Simpson found out, you can be found not guilty in a criminal matter and still lose a civil case.

Hell, all they have to do is rat-pack the jury with anti-Bush liberals and they will have the case in the bag. The U.S. taxpayers get the rosy ramrod in the end. (Pun intentional).

I think it’s pretty interesting that:

1) The U. S. suspicions were regarding sale of “yellow cake” uranium to Iraq by Niger. These suspicions were triggered by an intelligence report from the U.K..
2) Niger is in the continent of Africa.
3) Valerie Plame Wilson’s husband (Joseph C. Wilson IV) was Senior Director for Africa at the National Security Council under President Clinton. (Among other noteworthy infamous accomplishments, Clinton sold U.S. nuclear weapon technology to China).
4) Josepth C. Wilson was also Deputy Chief of Mission in the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, Iraq from 1988 to 1991.
5) Mr. Wilson’s wife (Valerie Plame Wilson) was an operative of the CIA, was active in WMD matters and was responsible for suggesting that her husband be sent to Niger to investigate the yellow cake uranium suspicions.
6) A “op-ed” written by Mr. Wilson regarding his February 2002 trip to Niger was published by the New York Times on July 6, 2003. The op-ed content can be viewed at http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0706-02.htm
7) Mr. Wilson’s “investigation” is the ONLY SOURCE of information contraindicating sale of “yellow cake” uranium by Niger to Iraq. What was the conclusion of the “investigation”? After about ten days of “investigation” he wrote “It did not take long to conclude that it highly doubtful that any such transaction had ever taken place”. In my lexicon, “highly doubtful..had ever taken place” and “definitely did not take place” are not the same thing. Doubt means uncertainty. Wilson’s own report therefor forwards some possibility that the yellow cake uranium transaction could have taken place. As such, the report does not rule out that the yellow cake uranium transaction occurred as per other intelligence reports. Further, the report even acknowledges Iraq had chemical and biological WMD programs.

Wilson had connections in Niger and in Iraq. He was the person to “investigate” the information on the sale of yellow cake uranium by Niger to Iraq. The recommendation of his wife, who worked within the CIA in the area of WMD sent him to Niger. All coincidence? Perhaps it is - and perhaps it isn’t.
and don't forget that Wilson was in Africa at the same time Ted Kennedy was in the US Senate, all of which is just 20 short years after "Hanoi Jane" Fonda returned home from Viet Nam. very interesting, indeed.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote