P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 06-02-06, 10:21 AM   #1
Repo

Default Islam & The Muhammad Cartoons...

There has been a lot of protest by Muslims, to say the least on the publication of the editorial cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad in a Danish newspaper; other European newspapers have also published the cartoons. It is sacrileges to draw Muhammad and Muslims worldwide have condemned the cartoons. Many Muslims, not all but many have no problem criticizing other religions they dislike, yet they are outraged when criticism is directed at them. Muslims like all people are hypocritical. Muslims have a right to be angry but they are directing their anger at the wrong people. The cartoons depicted Muhammad as a terrorist. I have not seen the cartoons but reports say one such cartoon shows Muhammad wearing a turban shaped as a bomb. For this Muslims are marching in the streets and Syrians have set fire to the Norwegian and Danish embassies in Damascus. They are mad that newspapers would show Muhammad as a terrorist but they don't get mad at those that have linked him to terrorism...

Muslims need to take a deep breath and ask themselves how it got to this, to Muhammad being depicted as a terrorist. It wasn't an imaginative cartoonist that created the idea nor the newspaper that printed it. It was all the fundamentalist Muslims that use terror in the name of Allah that created the image of Muhammad as a terrorist...

When Osama bin Laden sent terrorists to bomb innocent civilians in the World Trade Center he did so in the name of Allah. When Ayman al-Zawahiri talks of more terror against the West he does so in the name of Allah. When Abu Musab al-Zarqawi uses terrorists in Iraq he does so in the name of Allah. When Hamas sends terrorists to bomb innocent civilians in Israeli restaurants and stores, they do so in the name of Allah. Muslims are taking out their anger at the wrong people, it is not the Danish that have tainted Muhammad, it is bin Laden, al-Zawahiri, Hamas, Al Qaeda and any other individual or group that kills innocent civilians in the name of Allah. It is blasphemous to kill in the name of Allah but I do not see Muslims marching in the streets against killing...

So Muslims can rant, rave and march against the Danish cartoon if they wish but as long as Muslims sit by and watch Islamic extremists kill in the name of Allah, they will have become a caricature of that Danish cartoon of Muhammad wearing a turban shaped as a bomb. That is what happens when people kill in the name of Allah, others will see them, Muhammad and all of Islam as terrorists. If Muslims don't like being looked at as terrorists and they shouldn't like it, they should take some of their rage and use it against those that put them in that light, not a Danish cartoonist or newspaper but bin Laden, al-Zawahir, al-Zarqawi and all the other Muslims that use terror tactics in the name of Islam. Here is a radical thought, condemn terrorism instead of cartoons...
Repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 10:47 AM   #2
albed
flippin 'em off

I can picture another cartoon with with monkeyhammad screaming outrage walking through body parts to pick up a paper with his caricature on it. Unfortunately I can't draw worth a damn.

And it's not blasphemy to kill in the name of asshallah. In fact it's required in many circumstances.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 11:21 AM   #3
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

if you can't handle free speech, you're not ready for democracy. as if we needed another example...
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 12:35 PM   #4
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

seems as though they were purposely provoked to show us why we need to have anoter war

this is a case of the media making the news and then selling it
floydian slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 12:37 PM   #5
miss_silver
Keebeck Canuck

Arrow

For those who are interested about the cartoons, here's a link to 12 of them.

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/698

Just scroll down after the article.

What are your toughts about those, care to share?
miss_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 01:57 PM   #6
JackSpratts

thanks for the link miss_s.

i was wondering what the fuss about. now i know. it's about nothing, as usual.

- js.
JackSpratts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 02:02 PM   #7
Sinner
--------------------

My first reaction to what is going on is I think Islam is a religion dedicated to violence and the conquest of the infidels. Maybe the USA should pull out of Iraq, defend the borders more closely at home and let Iraq fall into a civil war. Once enough of the country is destroyed, go back and try again. Maybe there is no reasoning with Muslims; they are just violent people with stupid beliefs.

But reason then takes over, you can’t allow a few rotten apples destroy the whole bunch. This does show how uneducated the people are in the middle east, and how hypocritical they are tho. Saudi newspapers print offensive cartoons against Jews regularly also they don’t understand the separation between Government and the Press. People in Denmark are some of the most peaceful people in the world so burning down their embassies just shows how out of touch with the world these people are. Like the Danes I just don’t get it. It is a cartoon for fuck sakes, it is not worth killing or dieing over. Grow the fuck up you simpletons. Opps – but the Muslims in the USA and Canada who are more educated did do it right, yes they protested – nothing wrong with that – but they did not act with violence, anyway I am ranting – I don’t get it is the bottom line –
Old 06-02-06, 04:18 PM   #8
legion
I took both pills.

A few bad apples? Have you seen the pictures on t.v.? I see streets filled with bad apples. This is no longer about a few bad apples it is about baskets filled with bad apples.

The governments of the countries invovled know PERFECTLY WELL what freedom of speech and freedom of press is and means. They also know PERFECTLY WELL that those cartoons do not portrait the opinion of the political factions within denmark or norway. And i would like to top it off that these islamic governments know PERFECTLY WELL that it is an internal matter for Denmark and Norway ....... PERIOD.

I wonder how many of those protesters in libanon have actually seen the cartoons? I bet you ten to one that 95% of them never even saw them simply because cartoons/pictures like that are banned within their own borders.

Am I the only one who wonders that in most of those countries protests aren’t even allowed? Now that it is about some prophet and now that it suits their needs, yup here we go. Not only are those protests staged, the koran and the religion it stands for gets raped to justify violence once more.

It amazes me to no end that there is/was no single protest when over 3000 people got killed by airplanes flown into high rise buildings. There were/are no protests when some one got beheaded. There are no protests when soldiers are blown to smithereens in the name of allah.

No protests because the palastinians elected a terrorist group for their leadership? Yeah lets talk about a few bad apples eh.
Hamas:”hey we hate your guts but give us your money.”

Oh and the arab european league came up with this needless to say that Anne Frank is an idol for israelis/jews and dutchies alike. None of these are parties involved with this whole thing as of yet. Does this mean we can set some embassies a blaze?

Not all muslims are terrorists but all terrorists are muslims.
Old 06-02-06, 07:34 PM   #9
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Could it be that we're overreacting to these Muslims overreactions? If you ask me, the global news machine is over-reporting this story to attract a larger audience.

From BBC News:
Quote:
Cartoon anger is a misrepresentation

Western embassies in Middle Eastern cities have been torched. Angry crowds have marched in the streets of London carrying placards calling for beheadings and massacres.

Yet despite how it looks on television news, the response to the cartoons of the prophet Muhammad has mostly been non-violent so far.

There were no demonstrations at all in a sizeable number of Muslim countries. In Iran, Egypt, Pakistan and Iraq, the demonstrations passed off quietly.

There has been serious trouble in Gaza, Damascus and Beirut, but in each case, local tensions clearly boiled up and found their expression in this particular issue.

In Syria, such violence is so rare that some people have wondered whether the attacks on the Danish and Norwegian embassies might not have been provoked by government agents, in order to discredit the beleaguered Islamists there.

In Lebanon, the continuing tension between supporters of the Syrians and supporters of the Americans played a part in the violence in Beirut.

When a breakaway group started to attack a Christian church at Ashrafiya, a group of Muslim clerics did everything they could to stop them.

How did a series of not particularly well-drawn or funny cartoons, published on 30 September in a Danish newspaper, produce such anger in Europe and the Middle East four months later?

More...
Being outraged at their outrage will accomplish nothing. Lumping every Muslim into the same group is worse than drawing an insulting cartoon. I would suggest everyone put a little more thought into this issue before making unsupported statements like these:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife
if you can't handle free speech, you're not ready for democracy. as if we needed another example...
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydian slip
seems as though they were purposely provoked to show us why we need to have anoter war
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion
Not all muslims are terrorists but all terrorists are muslims.

Read the Wikipedia article on the subject, it's probably more balanced and informative than anything you'll get from the sound bite media.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-06, 03:06 AM   #10
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
Could it be that we're overreacting to these Muslims overreactions? If you ask me, the global news machine is over-reporting this story to attract a larger audience.
indeed

now this...

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117....html?from=rss

Quote:
Iran to publish Holocaust cartoons

He said the plan was to turn the tables on the assertion that newspapers can print offensive material in the name of freedom of expression.

"The Western papers printed these sacrilegious cartoons on the pretext of freedom of expression, so let's see if they mean what they say and also print these Holocaust cartoons," he said.
i'll bet no riots break out
Old 07-02-06, 10:15 AM   #11
Sinner
--------------------

What does it say about the Middle East that so many can be whipped into a frenzy over some bad cartoons five months after their release? What does it say that government officials support them? What does it say that European leaders would rather talk about restricting press freedom than laughing in the face of islamic immaturity. And what does it say that idiots like CNN run articles with statements like this: "CNN has chosen to not show the cartoons out of respect for Islam."

I think it says several things we need to come to grips with.

Quote:
First, I think this whole saga says that most government officials, media organizations, etc. are cowards. CNN is willing to criticism those it knows will not fire bomb them, but cowers in the shadows at the thoughts of arabs being mad at them. Much like it collaborated with Saddam Hussein so that it would not get thrown out of Iraq, CNN now collaborates with the imams to give them air time without daring to be critical or daring to challenge them. I'm reminded of Hollywood's release of The Sum of All Fears, which despite coming out after September 11, 2001, the producers could not bear to have the bad guys be Arabs, as they were in the book. Instead evil European white men were used.
European leaders, particularly the love children of Stalin that run the European Union, are falling all over themselves apologizing for the irresponsible media and promising to clamp down press freedom. These leaders would rather teach all of Europe to bow toward Mecca than stand up for Western Civilization. They demand tolerance of Islam and demand no reciprocity in that tolerance.

The only real leader who has shown spine has been Denmark's Queen who has said that the Danes will not be bullied by the immature cries of the many muslims who move to Denmark for its welfare system and plot its destruction at the same time.

Second, I think it says that we are dealing with Borg. Resistance is futile in the minds of the imams. The West will either be killed off or assimilated. Those in charge, or at least those who are treated most prominently in the media and by governments world wide, are bent on destroying Israel and taking over Europe. The Islamic youth overrunning Europe have no desire to assimilate and become secular. They have no desire to tolerate or respect the values of Europe. At best, they intend to wait out the old population of Europe and take over. At worst, they intend to take over by force -- already they have been probing the boundaries of safe conduct from rioting in Paris to murdering Theo van Gogh. We will not be successful in negotiating with the Borg. We must either show them we mean to fight and can win, or we should all figure out the direction of Mecca.

Third, the naivety of western leaders is becoming more and more apparent. Our own President keeps saying that Islam is a religion of peace. Perhaps, but the practice of Islam by so many in the Middle East is by no means peaceful. European leaders think they can cast stones at Jews to appease the Middle East. The naivety must stop, but I fear it will not before it is too late.

While the practitioners of diplomacy are willing to cede ground to practitioners of radical Islam, the general populace is less and less inclined to do so. More and more we are seeing the people of Europe and America react with more hostility toward Islam. More and more the people of the West are willing to offend -- childish though it may be, the Western citizen is itching to start poking the eyes of muslims.

If muslim leaders do not step up to the plate and calm the masses of muslim men rioting in the streets and burning embassies, we will see a greater threat grow in Europe. We will see leaders coming to power on xenophobic anti-muslim platforms. The Eurocrats will not be able to stop their rise and then the European Muslim will share the fate of the European Jew. It will not be pretty. It will not be right. But it will happen. Pushing toward the precipice those who choose not to go over it can only go so far before the pushed push back.
Old 07-02-06, 11:41 AM   #12
daddydirt
even the losers

Screwy I knew it!! It was those damn Jews.....

Khamenei blames Muhammad cartoon uproar on Israel
daddydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-06, 01:56 PM   #13
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner
What does it say that government officials support them?

I think it says several things we need to come to grips with.
what does that say about a plan to bring democracy to thier countries?
Old 07-02-06, 05:10 PM   #14
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I think what this boils down to is the protestors have failed to realize that there is no state-controlled media in democratized countries, however this is a lesson that many in the Muslim world are learning quickly. I read somewhere last week that, while there were verbal protests by religious leaders in Iraq, there have been no group demonstrations in the streets, certainly no riots of any kind. Unforunatly I can't find a link to that story. But what it says to me is that people who have been exposed to true freedom of speech and freedom of the press understand the ramifications thereof. There have been no reports of civil unrest in Turkey as a result of these cartoons. Why do you think that is?
Old 07-02-06, 05:45 PM   #15
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
I think what this boils down to is the protestors have failed to realize that there is no state-controlled media in democratized countries, however this is a lesson that many in the Muslim world are learning quickly. I read somewhere last week that, while there were verbal protests by religious leaders in Iraq, there have been no group demonstrations in the streets, certainly no riots of any kind. Unforunatly I can't find a link to that story. But what it says to me is that people who have been exposed to true freedom of speech and freedom of the press understand the ramifications thereof. There have been no reports of civil unrest in Turkey as a result of these cartoons. Why do you think that is?
since the US military in Iraq buys the news stories it likes and shuts down the papers it doesn't like, what would make you think the Iraqis are all that familiar with "true freedom of the press"? more likely they are just trying to make it thru the day, no?

an alternate and well-informed take on the issue, from Juan Cole:
Quote:
I want to underline that few places in the Muslim world have seen violence over the caricatures, so far mainly Damascus and Beirut (which are unexpected in this regard.) Protests in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Iran, Egypt, and elsewhere have been nonviolent. This is not to play down the seriousness of what happened in Damascus and Beirut over the weekend--acts which can only inspire horror and condemnation--only to set it in context. There are 1.5 billion Muslims. A lot of Muslim countries saw no protests at all. In some places, as in Pakistan, they were anemic. The caricature protests are resonating with local politics and anti-imperialism in ways distinctive to each Muslim country. The protests therefore are probably not mostly purely about religion.
Professor Cole goes on to point out that anyone who thinks this kind of violence is endemic to Islam need only look at Ireland, which has a history of rioting over religious issues, even as recently as five months ago.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-06, 12:56 PM   #16
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

http://www.total411.info/2006/02/car...-rose-and.html

Cartoon editor Fleming Rose and the tentacles of PNAC
Quote:
It turns out the editor who originally publshed the "offensive" Muslim cartoons is a disciple of Daniel Pipes and the "clash of civilizations" theory put out by Project for a New American Century. PNAC is the outfit that called for a "Pearl Harbor event' in order to initiate a global war
its also odd that these toons were published last september and its just now being played by the media. why now? guess the peeps in syria had to wait for the shipment of danish flags and burning permits. hehe
Old 08-02-06, 04:19 PM   #17
Sinner
--------------------

Muslims Outraged Over Blasphemous Garfield Cartoon

MUNCIE, DENMARK- Cartoons have the power to make us laugh. Some cartoons can even make us think. Then there those which transcend the printed page itself and enter the realm of fatwas, flaming effigies, and death threats. For years, fans have enjoyed the zany antics of the lovable xenophobic cat known as Garfield. The popular cartoon character is rooted in a love of napping, a passion for lasagna and, as readers of Danish newspaper Jyllands Posten learned earlier this month, an abiding hatred of Islam.

In response, conscientious Muslims all over the world are vigorously protesting the newspaper for carrying the cartoons they say defame their religion and blaspheme against Allah. In the interests of easing tensions, the besieged newspaper tried to apologize for the strips, but due to some confusion over which ones were most offensive, editors republished them on Tuesday under the 100 point headline "ARE THESE THE CARTOONS YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT?"

Unfortunately, this gesture of goodwill did not satisfy the outraged Muslim community. In fact, they seem even madder than ever.

In their angry letters to the media, Islamic groups claim the cartoons portray the prophet Muhammad as a terrorist, but cartoonist Bjorn Davis says nothing could be more ridiculous. In his estimation, the offended parties are reading too much into the simple four-panel strip. The cat dressed in a turban & false beard is merely doing a comical impression of Muhammad, he explained, and is not intended to be a representation of the revered prophet himself. Those who follow the strip regularly picked up on that subtle but important distinction right away.

"It seems to me that these folks are way too easily offended," said Davis. "All we did was have a cat depict their faith's founding prophet sodomizing a goat while instructing his followers on the finer points of pipebomb construction. Where's the harm in that?"

He went on to challenge the angry Muslims to prove that Muhammad did not blow things up and commit unnatural acts with domesticated livestock during his lifetime. That's probably a safe bet since, having died more than a millennium ago, records of Muhammad's personal habits are somewhat hard to come by.

Throughout the twelve part series, Garfield, aka the "voice of Allah," plays whimsical japes on his pals such as stoning Jon to death for refusing to grow a beard and placing C-4 in Odie's food bowl. But more than just a fun romp through the foundations of another culture's faith, Davis says the Muhammad cartoons were intended to convey a vital lesson about diversity and the global village.

"Oh, Garfield," sighs Jon as the electrodes are attached to his genitals in one strip, "when will you learn the value of religious tolerance?"

Meanwhile, anger over the cartoons [and subsequent reprinting of said cartoons] has reached a fever pitch. Just yesterday an unidentified man became so upset over the unfair stereotypes in the strip that he attempted to blow up the newspaper's offices. In a note attached to the improvised explosive device, he explained the reasoning behind his desperate act: "This will teach you people to to automatically assume that Muslims are terrorists- oh, wait."

During a press conference on Wednesday, Arab League Secretary-General Amr Moussa offered another side to the Islamic community. He told reporters that Muslims can, indeed, take a joke. The problem in this instance is that, like virtually all comics in print today, the Garfield Muhammad series just wasn't funny.

"I'm partial to PBF myself," said Moussa. "Did you see the one with the hammer and the board with the screw in it? After someone explained it to me, I laughed a good long while."

He explained that incidents like this perpetuate the inaccurate perception in the Western world that Muslims have no sense of humor. Sadly, the stereotype is now more difficult to eradicate with this new dis from Northern Europe, long known as the comedy capital of the Western world for having inspired Hamlet and the screwball comedies of Ingmar Bergman.

"In fact, I think I speak for all Muslims when I promise not to blow anything up as long you promise not to make us watch that horrible Albert Brooks movie again. I'm not even kidding. It's that bad."

http://www.ridiculopathy.com/news_detail.php?id=1506
Old 10-02-06, 04:24 PM   #18
pisser
Guv

It's really a non-issue.

All Muslims hate infidels. Period.
pisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-06, 11:22 PM   #19
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

See, there you go making an other unsupportable claim. You used to make more sense, pisser. What happened to you?
Old 11-02-06, 07:57 AM   #20
malvachat
My eyes are now open.

Quote:
See, there you go making an other unsupportable claim. You used to make more sense, pisser. What happened to you?
He had a chat with albed and was converted.