P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 14-04-04, 06:56 PM   #1
JackSpratts

Default Sir - Mr. Arrogant Sir

Audio

Imperial President

In St. Louis to toss out the ceremonial first pitch in Monday's season-opening baseball game between the Cardinals and the Milwaukee Brewers, George w. Bush was steered by an aide toward an Associated Press reporter who had a question about the Iraq imbroglio.

"So who's the AP person?" demanded Bush.

"I am," the reporter replied.

"You are?" grumbled Bush. "Well, ask it."

"Sir, uh, in regard to...," the reporter began.

Bush stopped the journalist at mid-sentence. In a scolding voice, he demanded to know: "Who're you talking to?"

The AP quickly corrected himself. "Mr. President," he said.

Bush--who in 2002 acknowledged that "If this was a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator"--was satisfied that he had been properly addressed. He then allowed the reporter to continue. However, his reply to the question was typically short and perfunctory.

Perhaps, the reporter would have gotten a better answer if he had just said, "Your Highness..."
http://www.thenation.com/thebeat/ind...bid=1&pid=1360

Arrianna -

Now I know our president isn't the biggest reader in the world, but does he know about that other war we fought, the one about how we didn't want to be governed by a king? Luckily, Condi Rice and Donald Rumsfeld didn't have anything to do with the planning for that one. Because we won. We're not a monarchy (the fact that our leader is the son of a former leader and wasn't really elected notwithstanding).

And it's not as if the AP reporter was being disrespectful. In fact, here's some of the replies he might have said to the question, "Who are you talking to?"

- A citizen.

- A person who's no more above the law than the homeless man sleeping in Lafayette Park.

- My employee.

- A civil servant.

- A failed businessman.

- A convicted drunk driver.

- A person who used connections to get out of fighting a war he claimed to support.

- You.

Sure, those aren't entirely respectful, but they're all true. And as I read the constitution, they're all legally protected. As Thomas Jefferson said, "[It is] the people to whom all authority belong, not George Bush." I added that last part, but I have a pretty strong feeling TJ would have agreed.

As it happens, there was actually a debate among the founding fathers as to what to call the new president. John Adams wanted "His Highness the President of the United States and Protector of Their Liberties." But James Madison fought it, and it died when President George Washington expressed his opposition "to bedizen [him] with a superb but spurious title."

Got that, Mr. President?

http://www.ariannaonline.com/blog/?postid=37
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-04, 07:37 PM   #2
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

I would like to look at this audio a bit closer. seems as if there is are several suspicious volume changes and from one sentence to the other is seems as if he is close then far away like this was spliced together. Also where is the background noise? The way the article is written makes it sound as if it was at the stadium?

Also it is improper to address the President as sir when asking a question. The same goes for any upper staff member. It's common and respectful throughout the Military as well.
Old 14-04-04, 08:40 PM   #3
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by AweShucks
I would like to look at this audio a bit closer. seems as if there is are several suspicious volume changes and from one sentence to the other is seems as if he is close then far away like this was spliced together. Also where is the background noise? The way the article is written...
he was talking to the pool and being a prick. nobody played w/the audio - you can pick up the feed from the white house.

- js.
Old 15-04-04, 05:27 AM   #4
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
he was talking to the pool and being a prick. nobody played w/the audio - you can pick up the feed from the white house.

- js.
Yeah I took a look at the audio late last night it was proper. However I'm guessing this reporter probably deserved what he got. And no matter how you feel about the President the proper way to ask a question is with the title Mr. President. you answer with sir.
Old 16-04-04, 10:10 PM   #5
cheapprick

??? That's ludicrous. He's just another guy. While profanity should be avoidable, the use of 'sir' was being very respectful.
cheapprick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-04, 05:52 AM   #6
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Quote:
Originally posted by cheapprick
??? That's ludicrous. He's just another guy. While profanity should be avoidable, the use of 'sir' was being very respectful.
The President is not just another guy! He holds the highest office/rank in the U.S. I would suppose then a Judge is just another guy? Do you address a judge as "Sir" or "Your Honor"
The President holds a title so.........you address him by title. Reporters are usually versed on this listen to any news conference where the person holds a title he/she will be addressed by title.

My time spent in the military has taught me a few things

http://www.cftech.com/BrainBank/OTHE...tFrmsAddr.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Style_-...Used_as_Styles
Old 17-04-04, 11:27 AM   #7
adonai

Fox played the audio for this a week or so ago...funny how the left gets their panties in a wad over nothing
Old 17-04-04, 11:37 AM   #8
JackSpratts

it's not nothing. arrogance in a president should be a real concern, especially one essentially appointed by his father's friends on the supreme court. if there was ever a guy who should show some humility about "his" office it's bush. my feeling is he sounds like sanctimonious prick because he really is one. it's yet another black mark on a pathetic resume.

- js.
Old 17-04-04, 11:45 AM   #9
adonai

oh are we still whining that Gore couldn't recount only those districts that he didn't do well in for a 4th and 5th time? Really you should get over that, it's history. Gore's credibility was further weakened when he endorsed hothead and weakened his chances for the nomination.

It was nothing, we weren't there, we didn't see the circumstances. But given what we've heard, a somber President talking about meeting with someone who'd lost their son to the war, then he gets disrespected by a reporter? I'm glad he has the balls, and so are millions of others.

You often see video of the press clamouring with a question when he's exiting a vehicle or building on his way to and from engagements and what do you hear them saying? Mr. President, Mr. President. Never Sir...

Get over it, you're pissing in the wind here.
Old 17-04-04, 11:49 AM   #10
JackSpratts

defending arrogance is a fools excercise. rumsfeld, cheney, rice, wolfowitz, bush. it infects this entire adminstration like a lingering disease and like disease is just as debilitating to the health of the republic.

- js.
Old 17-04-04, 11:58 AM   #11
adonai

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
defending arrogance is a fools excercise. rumsfeld, cheney, rice, wolfowitz, bush. it infects this entire adminstration like a lingering disease and like disease is just as debilitating to the health of the republic.

- js.
Old 17-04-04, 05:25 PM   #12
miss_silver
Keebeck Canuck

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by adonai
Very nice constructive criticism coming from someone who probably have the same IQ as the pic posted

Bush is as much arrogant as he is clueless about real life hardships. Whis he'd get a real job
miss_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-04, 05:28 PM   #13
JackSpratts

Bush-Blair press conference...

BUSH: We will take three questions a side. So why don't you ask one question to each of us?

QUESTION: Mr. President, did you ask Secretary Rumsfeld to draw up war plans against Iraq in November 2001, just as the military action was getting under way in Afghanistan? Why couldn't Iraq wait?

And, Mr. Prime Minister...

BUSH: No, I thought we had one question apiece. Not one questioner, one question apiece.

- js.
Old 18-04-04, 07:59 AM   #14
adonai

Quote:
Originally posted by miss_silver
Very nice constructive criticism coming from someone who probably have the same IQ as the pic posted

Bush is as much arrogant as he is clueless about real life hardships. Whis he'd get a real job
When the poster this was directed at was left without an argument he resorted to childish namecalling and personal insults just as you have done. Given than, a mirror seemed appropriate.
Old 18-04-04, 11:05 AM   #15
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by adonai
When the poster this was directed at was left without an argument he resorted to childish namecalling and personal insults just as you have done. Given than, a mirror seemed appropriate.
now adonai, i know you're a conservative but there's no reason to lie here. i trust you value accuracy in language and i assume since it was me you quoted, you're talking about me talking about you, but as much as i may want to you won't find me calling you names nor insulting you personally, childishly or otherwise in this thread. on the other hand your second post started with an insult posed as a question and ended with a childish order.

be that as it may i will call you or anyone a fool if one actually believes arrogance in a us president is a positive thing, but i don’t know if that's what you believe. if you believe that bush is not arrogant, well, you’re simply misinformed, and that’s easily corrected. watch the man; more light manages to illuminate his darkness with each passing day.

- js.
Old 18-04-04, 11:52 AM   #16
Blind I/O
The Bearer Of The Eyes

I'm with JackSpratts and miss_silver on this one.
Old 18-04-04, 01:33 PM   #17
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

NEWS FLASH

Show me a politician that is not arrogant
Old 19-04-04, 03:43 PM   #18
Blind I/O
The Bearer Of The Eyes

Old 19-04-04, 08:14 PM   #19
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

And he is Holds what office?
Old 19-04-04, 08:39 PM   #20
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Quote:

Get over it, you're pissing in the wind here.
arrogance = conservatives...its always been that way....

and you just embedded that even further with your reply...
why dont you get wise and open up your
seemingly closed mind ..stand outside your ego for a while and take a look..
what one earth makes you think what you said should cause everyone else to stfu...eh? what?
pissing in the wind is right...lol

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard

Last edited by multi : 20-04-04 at 10:55 AM.
multi is offline   Reply With Quote