P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-09-08, 02:16 AM   #1
malvachat
My eyes are now open.

Default Republicans are against voting

I came across this posting elsewhere and thought it might be interesting.
I'd be interested in peoples comments or excuses or reasons.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20081006/dreier
Quote:
Only in the last week has McCain changed his tune. He's endorsed the Bush plan to bail out Wall Street firms that engaged in risky, irresponsible behaviour, instead of supporting government help for millions of troubled home-owners.

Many of those home-owners live in Michigan, where the economy is in free-fall--the direct result of Bush's misguided economic policies that McCain has consistently endorsed. In the last year, Michigan's jobless rate has jumped from 7.2 percent to 8.9 percent--the nation's highest. Michigan had the highest foreclosure rate in the the nation and economists expect it to get even worse as the state sheds more and more jobs. So far this year, 95,272 Michigan residents have received foreclosure notices--13,605 in August alone, according to RealtyTrac.

So, to rub salt in these wounds, the Michigan GOP hatched a plan to take away the votes of people who've lost their homes. As reported in the Michigan Messenger, Republicans intended to use foreclosure lists to challenge voters at the polls. In a conference call with reporters, Mark Brewer, chairman of the Michigan Democratic Party, said that the McCain campaign "wants to add insult to injury by denying those residents their right to vote."

Bob Bauer, general counsel for the Obama campaign, called the GOP plan "a new and especially repellent version of caging." (Caging is a technique used to challenge voters by taking a list of addresses, mailing letters to them marked "do not forward" and then claiming that those voters whose letters were returned no longer live at the addresses at which they are registered and thus are ineligible to vote.)

Said Bauer: "It is an absolute attack on their right to vote," and a "completely false and completely illegal basis" to challenge votes. He explained that getting a foreclosure notice is not evidence that the person's address has changed. In Michigan, home-owners have the opportunity to redeem the foreclosure even after a sheriff's sale has occurred, permitting them to remain in the house for several months after a foreclosure notice has been sent. In addition, Michigan law allows people vote at their old precinct if they lost their home within sixty days of the election.

Bauer told the Wall Street Journal that the Michigan suit against the Republicans was meant to send a message to Democrats around the country to be on guard against voter-suppression tactics. "This can't be just an isolated event," he said. Republicans use these tactics "where they expect the vote to go to the other side. They're not caging in Beverly Hills. By filing the suit, we are assuring people they can be allowed to vote."

Basically if you lost your house in Michigan do Republican failure at government they don't want you to vote. The America I was raised in prides it's self on it's votes. The America I believe in would call folks like these Republicans traitors. If you're Republican let these folks know they don't represent you. Clean up your dang party.

Last presidential election I spent weeks trying to get my grandfather to vote. He thought it was a wast of time but finally did and ended up voting for Bush. I took that as a victory because the vote is more important then any one President.

Now I learn Thanks to Republicans may vote may not be counted see:

http://airamerica.com/ringoffire/blo...your-vote-safe
Quote:
Bobby: “There are about 30 scams the republicans are deliberately using, particularly in the swing states to get democratic voters off the rolls. These scams originate in the so-called Help America Vote Act which was passed after the Florida debacle in the year 2000. It was originally suggested by democrats and republicans but it was passed by a republican congress with a republican senate and a republican president. And instead of reforming what happened in Florida it basically institutionalized all the problems that happened in Florida. And institutionalized a series of impediments that make it very difficult for democrats to register, for democrats to vote and then for democrats to have their vote counted.

“One of these requirements under HAVA is called “the perfect match” and what that does is little known but it is devastating. A quarter of the voters in Colorado have just been removed from the rolls because of this--just this one scam. And what it does is they use a computer system to compare your registration application to all other government records of you in the state. So they’ll look at your social security records, your motor vehicle records and any time you’ve had any interaction with the government and if there is any information on your voter registration that is different than the information on another government record that they find they remove you from the voting rolls.

“For example, if I registered as Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and yet my motor vehicle license said Robert Frances Kennedy Jr. I’d be removed from the rolls. If your initial is different, if you leave an initial out, if you leave a “Jr.” out, if you leave a hyphen out in your name. And what they’ve done is a study in New York that said 80% of the errors are errors that were done by state clerks who are taking down this information. And particularly immigrant communities that people tend to vote democratic, people have names…spell Muhammad with an “o” instead of a “u”

It seems to me,if all this is true?
Every dirty trick in the book is being tried.

----------------
Listening to: Morrissey - America is Not the World
via FoxyTunes