P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 25-07-08, 07:00 AM   #1
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

Default CBS: All The News (we can edit)

CBS has lost all respect in the news world and thrown integrety to the wind by editing a comment made by McCain during an interview and replacing it with a reply he gave elsewhere in the interview; to a different question!

Asked about it, they say; and I quote:

Quote:
The report was edited under extreme time constraints and one piece of tape was put in the wrong order. Fortunately, this did not in any way distort what Senator McCain was saying.
You'll have to decide for yourself. Here are the two pieces, see if you think the edit 'did not in any way distort what Senator McCain was saying':

Original interview:

Quote:
Katie Couric: Senator McCain, Sen. Obama says, while the increased number of U.S. troops contributed to increased security in Iraq, he also credits the Sunni awakening and the Shiite government going after militias. And says that there might have been improved security even without the surge. What's your response to that?

John McCain: I don't know how you respond to something that is such a false depiction of what actually happened. Colonel McFarlane (phonetic) was contacted by one of the major Sunni sheiks. Because of the surge we were able to go out and protect that sheik and others. And it began the Anbar awakening. I mean, that's just a matter of history.

Thanks to General Petraeus, our leadership, and the sacrifice of brave young Americans. I mean, to deny that their sacrifice didn't make possible the success of the surge in Iraq, I think, does a great disservice to young men and women who are serving and have sacrificed.
Broadcast version:

Quote:
Katie Couric: Senator McCain, Sen. Obama says, while the increased number of U.S. troops contributed to increased security in Iraq, he also credits the Sunni awakening and the Shiite government going after militias. And says that there might have been improved security even without the surge. What's your response to that?

John McCain: Sen. Obama has indicated that by his failure to acknowledge the success of the surge, that he would rather lose a war than lose a campaign.

Thanks to General Petraeus, our leadership, and the sacrifice of brave young Americans. I mean, to deny that their sacrifice didn’t make possible the success of the surge in Iraq, I think, does a great disservice to young men and women who are serving and have sacrificed.
It's despicable when the news is created rather than reported.

But they did it again in the same interview when they took out a statement by McCain that Iraq was the first major conflict after 9/11:

Quote:
McCAIN: The fact is we had four years of failed policy. We were losing. We were losing the war in Iraq. The consequences of failure and defeat of the United States of America in the first major conflict since 9/11 would have had devastating impacts throughout the region and the world.
And McCain complains that the media is 'in the tank' for Obama? How would the McCain camp have handled the situation if an Obama interview was edited to replace his statements with other replies, or removed altogether? Easy: they would have gone apeshit.

Video of the incidents:

Edited and unedited footage: http://youtube.com/watch?v=UEcQ1BYCsVY

Removed statement: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dtwH4USxQpg

McCain then went on to explain his original statement and denied that he was wrong in claiming the 'surge' in Iraq 'began the Anbar Awakening'. Pressed by a reporter, McCain argued that the 'surge' actually began before more troops were added to Iraq:

Quote:
John McCain: First of all, a surge is really a counterinsurgency strategy. And its made up of a number of components. And this counterinsurgency was initiated to some degree by Col. McFarland in Anbar province relatively on his own. When I visited with him in December 2006, he had already initiated that strategy in Ramadi by going in and clearing and holding in certain places.....

Reporter: So when you say ’surge’ then, you’re not referring to just the one that President Bush initiated. You’re saying it goes back several months before that?

John McCain: Yes.
Video here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=h6N42M81Yg0

Face it: McCain is ass clueless..erm sorry: as clueless..about American foreign policy, and the dangers we face in Iraq and Afghanistan and the events which have worked and which have not.

Not only that, be he has also said in an interview this week that if he could go back in time, knowing what we know now, would he do it again? He said he would:

Quote:
McCain: US winning in Iraq

Sen. John McCain said that he is willing to stake his presidential campaign, as well as his political career, on his support for the war in Iraq.

In an interview with reporters on the back of his campaign bus, the 'Straight Talk Express' Monday afternoon, McCain said that even in retrospect he would still have voted to authorize the war, as he did in 2002.

"I think there's no question," said the Republican's likely presidential nominee. "I owe too much to these young people who are serving there to let political considerations interfere with what I know is right.

"I believe the American people, over time, will side with me, but if they don't I'll accept that," he said. "I'd much rather lose a political campaign than lose a war."

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...8-1556942.html
Clueless AND out of touch.

Š

There's only one way off so you might as well enjoy the ride..

Naphoria - P2P Portal www.naphoria.com/chat

Napsterites mIRC v2 | Napsterites Chat
Šiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-08, 07:48 AM   #2
JackSpratts

leaving aside for the moment the mental state of a 71 yo cancer survivor it'll be interesting to see how long the cbs lite-evening news with perky katie couric can continue to ignore thier own part in this developing story, now in its 3rd day. more to the point, if they pass blame off couric and onto a producer, and with dan rather's lawsuit against the network finally in front of the courts, can aggressive attorneys for those well-heeled parties keep away from it?

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-08, 09:06 AM   #3
JackSpratts

so they're copping to it, somewhat, denying it changed anything...

but now it looks as if they've done it again. trying to out fox fox.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-08, 09:46 AM   #4
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Wasn't he just saying in agreement with Obama about more troops were needed in Afganistan ?
How on earth could he forget that it was invaded shortly after 911 ???

you just have to cringe at the thought of how useless he would be as a world leader.

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-08, 09:48 AM   #5
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

That's just it though: he wouldnt be a world leader or any sort of leader. e would be a puppet of the GOP just as Bush is.

It's just that simple; as simple as Bush and McCain are.

Š

There's only one way off so you might as well enjoy the ride..

Naphoria - P2P Portal www.naphoria.com/chat

Napsterites mIRC v2 | Napsterites Chat
Šiego is offline   Reply With Quote