P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 09-01-07, 10:09 PM   #1
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Default surge

or escalation. whatever. no matter, the Prez will call for more troops into Iraq tomorrow. finally the Dems are showing some spine in opposing this pointless political move on Bush's part, and they got a lot of support from the GOP too - plus 61% of the public, and most of the military. nobody thinks it will work, also included is the usual pr surge (4th one,no?). the main mission is to quell Bagdhad - good luck with that one:
Quote:
Open War in Baghdad's Amel District
No Security Forces Present
By NIR ROSEN Posted 18 hr. 20 min. ago
The civil war has erupted fully in Baghdad’s Amel district. Amel is in Karkh, or the western half of Baghdad, near the airport road and it is now the worst part of Baghdad. Sunni and Shia militias have been engaging in open warfare since last Thursday afternoon. Terrified residents have been hiding in their homes since then but they report fighters running through the streets, shooting and occupying homes. Firefights last for hours and mortar shells are falling. There is no sign of Iraqi police, Iraqi army or American forces. The edge of Amel, close to the Bayaa district is known by the tribal name of al Mughases and is controlled by the Mahdi Army.
the Prez will ask for just a few more years to get it right in Iraq - just enough to hand the whole thing off to the next Prez. let's see if new Congress has the balls to do what it was elected to do.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 09:07 AM   #2
albed
flippin 'em off

Lmao! Are you still clinging to that fantasy? The democrat led House has already given itself a day off for a football game, and the "first 100 hours" are now going to start later in the session than the real "first 100 hours". It's like the runner controls the time clock and is going to decide how long it took to circle the track. You thought the republicans were corrupt?...

The dems don't have the courage for even the little things so a big thing like Iraq is only going to incite some more empty rhetoric from them.

Wake-up time.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 09:45 AM   #3
RDixon

Operation "Enduring Stupidity" continues until Bush is either forcibly removed from office or his term expires; whichever comes first.

This fool is not qualified to be commander - in - chief of a boy scout troop, let alone the entire US military as the actionable failures of the past 5 years so plainly show.
RDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 11:01 AM   #4
malvachat
My eyes are now open.

Well it has to be said.
I thinks albed's got it wrong.
I know it's hard to belive,but there you are.
Old 10-01-07, 10:16 PM   #5
vernarial
The Fungus Among Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvachat View Post
Well it has to be said.
I thinks albed's got it wrong.
I know it's hard to belive,but there you are.
You think so? *strong sarcasm*
I can't believe we in the USA have had to deal with this dimwitted bully of a president for 6 years already. I am not looking forward to the last 2. Of course Albed does have a point about both parties being corrupt.
P2P Consortium
vernarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-07, 11:12 AM   #6
RDixon

Unchanged Melody
by George W Bush and the far-Righteous Brothers

Oh, Iraq, my darling,
I've hungered for your oil, a long lonely time.
Time goes by so slowly, and time can do so much,
Are you still mine?

I need your oil.
I need your oil.
God speed your oil to me.

Lonely soldiers flow to the sea to the sea,
to the open arms of the sea.
Dying soldiers cry wait for me wait for me,
I'll be coming home, wait for me.

I need your oil.
I need your oil.
God speed your oil to me.

By: Justin Frank and posted on the huffington post today.
Old 11-01-07, 01:40 PM   #7
albed
flippin 'em off

I know a song too:

I'm Such a Coward That Combat 10,000 Miles Away Scares Me

It's an instrumental, interspersed with chicken clucks and pig squeals and a baby bawling it's head off.

Last edited by albed : 11-01-07 at 02:09 PM.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-07, 11:15 AM   #8
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogivesashit
I'm Such a Coward That Combat 10,000 Miles Away Scares Me
The sheer infantile quality of such a statement reveals not only your acute ignorance, but that you have absolutely no respect for those who are actually are putting their lives on the line. None.

You're the coward. A big, fat, ridiculously obvious one. Cowardly in your constant, clipped, yappy little insults and attacks on the credibility of others so that you not once have had to truly rise to the task of reasonably defending your 'own opinions,' and ridiculous in your labeling others as parrots when you never once have shown any single affirmation of a thought which deviates from a one-dimensional, ill-conceived and fundamentally dishonest plan which you fanatically intone like the name of an omniscient God. Cowardly in your inability to show any kind of motivation at all in fact other than the urgent, paranoid need to have other people protect your pimpled ass, and ridiculous because you refuse to admit that the effort itself has backfired utterly and left you, and the whole wide fucking world, more vulnerable than before its inception. Cowardly most of all in your utter lack of empathy, and most ridiculous in your pathetic fantasy that in spite of this you might still manage to pull off the illusion of intelligence, thoughtfulness, credibility, or even a basic grasp of reality.
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-07, 05:41 AM   #9
malvachat
My eyes are now open.

Does that mean you disagree with him then?
Old 13-01-07, 11:45 AM   #10
RDixon

My ex-girlfriend's son just got out of the army.
He spent 2 years in Iraq.
Had a relatively safe job; unloading / loading cargo planes.
He says he is considering re-uping, but is waiting to see if they will up their bonus offer for it.
I ask him what if he rejoins and they decide to change his job?
He said he wouldn't like that too much.

He has been out for 5 months now and has received 6 letters from the army wanting him to rejoin so far.

He's still enjoying the new harley sportster he paid cash for the same day he got home and still has some savings left.
He will probably sign back up and go back to Iraq when he is broke.

To him it is just a job; a job that pays pretty well considering his limited education.
Old 13-01-07, 03:12 PM   #11
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDixon View Post
To him it is just a job; a job that pays pretty well considering his limited education.
same for most of the enlistees and guardspeople i speak to. it's there but they're not real big on the hero thing. the pay is pretty good and the job during peacetime anyway, (remember that?) relatively safe.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-07, 11:42 PM   #12
RDixon

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2007/0...-in-the-ranks/

“Any troop increase over here will just produce more sitting ducks, more targets,” said Sergeant Ronn Cantu, who is serving in Iraq.

wonder if we will see this on any of the so-called news channels?
Old 16-01-07, 12:47 AM   #13
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
“Any troop increase over here will just produce more sitting ducks, more targets,” said Sergeant Ronn Cantu, who is serving in Iraq.
As a non-commissioned officer he can't possibly know this, but it makes for great propaganda doesn't it?
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-07, 05:41 AM   #14
RDixon

now maze, support the troops...
and don't forget to mention "liberal rag" when noting the paper it is in.
Old 16-01-07, 12:08 PM   #15
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

It's the Wall Street Journal, Dix. Not as conservative as Forbes, but definitely not a liberal rag. They blogged the quote because it was said, you posted it here because you agree with it. News is only propaganda when it's used as such, and in this instance you were and the WSJ was not, hence my sarcasm.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-07, 05:56 PM   #16
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
As a non-commissioned officer he can't possibly know this, but it makes for great propaganda doesn't it?
well, if it's noncom status of the source that's at issue, then perhaps these guys are a bit more credible for you:

Quote:
A panel of retired generals told a United States Senate committee today that sending 21,500 additional troops to Iraq will do little to solve the underlying political problems in the country.

“Too little and too late,” is the way Gen. Joseph P. Hoar, a former chief of the Central Command, described the effort to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. The additional troops are intended to help pacify Baghdad and a restive province, but General Hoar said American leaders had failed to understand the political forces at work in the country. “The solution is political, not military,” he said.

“A fool’s errand,” was the judgment of Gen. Barry R. McCaffrey, who commanded troops in the first Gulf War. He said other countries had concluded that the effort in Iraq was not succeeding, noting that “our allies are leaving us and will be gone by summer.”

Describing the situation in Iraq as “desperate but not terminal,” he said Iraqis had to try to make political deals domestically and negotiate for stability with neighboring nations, particularly Syria and Iran.

The American effort in Iraq has gone badly because the United States did not understand the consequences of deposing Saddam Hussein, said Lt. Gen. William E. Odom, a former director of the National Security Agency. He said the principal beneficiary of the war was Iran and Al Qaeda, not the United States.

“There is no way to win a war that is not in your interests,” he said.

In statements and in questioning, senators were skeptical about the increased commitment of troops and the likely outcome of the deployment. Senator Richard Lugar, a Republican from Indiana, noted that he had raised questions about the effort in Iraq as long ago as 2003, and said, “Today, I don’t have an understanding about how it will work militarily.”

One general warned that even a plan to start withdrawing American forces from the country carried the risk that the armed Iraqi population will step up the level of attacks. “We will be shot at as we are going out.” said Gen. Jack Keane, a former vice chief of staff of the Army.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/18/wo...rtner=homepage
Old 25-01-07, 07:35 PM   #17
theknife

CBS interview with Nancy Pelosi, wherein Bush's "new plan" is revealed to be a continuation of the Tinkerbell strategy: wishing will make it so.
Quote:
In an interview, Pelosi also said she was puzzled by what she considered the president's minimalist explanation for his confidence in the new surge of 21,500 U.S. troops that he has presented as the crux of a new "way forward" for U.S. forces in Iraq.

"He's tried this two times — it's failed twice," the California Democrat said. "I asked him at the White House, 'Mr. President, why do you think this time it's going to work?' And he said, 'Because I told them it had to.' "

Asked if the president had elaborated, she added that he simply said, " 'I told them that they had to.' That was the end of it. That's the way it is."
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2397489.shtml
Old 10-12-08, 01:48 AM   #18
daddydirt
even the losers

B-U-M-P

Lincoln had many setbacks throughout the Civil War until he found the right man....General Grant.

Bush had many setbacks throughout the Iraq War until he found the right man....General Petraeus.

hmmm....wonder if any of our resident geniuses will admit they were even a tiny bit wrong.

doubt it.

P.S. Merry Fitzmas everyone!!
daddydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-08, 07:50 AM   #19
JackSpratts

the bush admin taking credit for the surge is like an arsonist taking credit for putting out the fire he started.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-08, 04:55 PM   #20
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydirt View Post
B-U-M-P

Lincoln had many setbacks throughout the Civil War until he found the right man....General Grant.

Bush had many setbacks throughout the Iraq War until he found the right man....General Petraeus.

hmmm....wonder if any of our resident geniuses will admit they were even a tiny bit wrong.

doubt it.

P.S. Merry Fitzmas everyone!!
signed up for the Bush Legacy Makeover tour, eh? you go, big fella