P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 10-08-04, 10:45 AM   #1
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Default For those Napsterites in the USA

I know I'm an opinionated person, as are most people here. I also know that everyone has opinions whether they express them or not. People should speak up and let themselves be heard without reservation, without the fear of being publicly criticized, with conviction and solidarity. Not everybody feels this way about themselves and that's why we never see them post in this forum. That's quite alright in my book because this forum is not the only outlet for opinions of political nature.

But my fear is that not everyone uses those other outlets, not everyone participates in Democracy. I'm haunted by this quote from John Perry Barlow posted by JackSpratts:
Quote:
TV in America created the most coherent reality distortion field that I’ve ever seen. Therein is the problem: People who vote watch TV, and they are hallucinating like a sonofabitch. Basically, what we have in this country is government by hallucinating mob.

It’s a perfect set of circumstances to give us the time Yeats foretold, with the best having lost all conviction and the worst full of passionate intensity.
His implication is that those of us who don't share in that hallucination because we spend more time online are also the least likely to vote. And I'm sorry to say that I'm guilty, I didn't register to vote until just recently. I havn't participated in my local community like I should. There are important things going on in the world that people just don't pay attention to, and apathy can be very dangerous.

This is my plea, that every American of voting age who reads this message should register and vote. This is something you have to go out of your way to do, you have to make a consious effort to be a participant. That doesn't mean it's difficult, just that it's an extra step you have to take. Registering is the simplest part, it's a wonder people don't do it more often. But voting actually takes some thought. Do your homework and study the ballot before you fill it out because this is where your opinions matter the most.

I'd like to prove Mr. Barlow worng on just this one point, because I know that those who do post their opinions here are intelligent and passionate people, whether I agree with them or not. I'd rather have Napsterites govern my way of life than a bunch of mindless TV viewers. I'd like to know that people who actually think things through and seek the truth are at the polling places taking a part in Democracy. The discourse that takes place on this forum needs to be brought out into the open.

To those who are active members of the Napsterites Underground I ask that you also become active members of your local communities. And to those who are not active members of NU I ask that you find some place to speak out and do so. To all of us I ask that we register as a community and vote as individual citizens.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-04, 04:07 PM   #2
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

Thumbs up *nm*

floydian slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-04, 05:44 PM   #3
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default yea

thanx for giving me a kick in the arse......queen of procrastination here.

just finished printing out registration forms for me and hubby.....got the stamps and envelope ready.

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-04, 09:33 PM   #4
Heathcliff
One half won't do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
I know I'm an opinionated person, as are most people here. I also know that everyone has opinions whether they express them or not. People should speak up and let themselves be heard without reservation, without the fear of being publicly criticized, with conviction and solidarity. Not everybody feels this way about themselves and that's why we never see them post in this forum. That's quite alright in my book because this forum is not the only outlet for opinions of political nature.

But my fear is that not everyone uses those other outlets, not everyone participates in Democracy. I'm haunted by this quote from John Perry Barlow posted by JackSpratts:

His implication is that those of us who don't share in that hallucination because we spend more time online are also the least likely to vote. And I'm sorry to say that I'm guilty, I didn't register to vote until just recently. I havn't participated in my local community like I should. There are important things going on in the world that people just don't pay attention to, and apathy can be very dangerous.

This is my plea, that every American of voting age who reads this message should register and vote. This is something you have to go out of your way to do, you have to make a consious effort to be a participant. That doesn't mean it's difficult, just that it's an extra step you have to take. Registering is the simplest part, it's a wonder people don't do it more often. But voting actually takes some thought. Do your homework and study the ballot before you fill it out because this is where your opinions matter the most.

I'd like to prove Mr. Barlow worng on just this one point, because I know that those who do post their opinions here are intelligent and passionate people, whether I agree with them or not. I'd rather have Napsterites govern my way of life than a bunch of mindless TV viewers. I'd like to know that people who actually think things through and seek the truth are at the polling places taking a part in Democracy. The discourse that takes place on this forum needs to be brought out into the open.

To those who are active members of the Napsterites Underground I ask that you also become active members of your local communities. And to those who are not active members of NU I ask that you find some place to speak out and do so. To all of us I ask that we register as a community and vote as individual citizens.

The problem with this Mr. Mazar is that people like you vote for Fascists who are just cynically using the people and resources of the USA to personally enrich themselves. And all they have to do to secure your vote is to wave their hideous Christianity and their faux patriotism in your face while they wink at you and utter the codewords so you will know they're really in it to keep the women and niggers down. Do us all a favor and sit your ass at home Nov. 2nd. Dipshit.
Old 12-08-04, 09:41 PM   #5
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathcliff
The problem with this Mr. Mazar is that people like you vote for Fascists who are just cynically using the people and resources of the USA to personally enrich themselves. And all they have to do to secure your vote is to wave their hideous Christianity and their faux patriotism in your face while they wink at you and utter the codewords so you will know they're really in it to keep the women and niggers down. Do us all a favor and sit your ass at home Nov. 2nd. Dipshit.
he is just telling everyone to go out and and get registered..no need to get so heavy handed..
personaly i think everyone should register to vote because people who vote more right ..always vote because its the 'right' thing to do..
people that vote left or would vote left if they bothered..but most think(and probably quite rightly..um ..leftly ) all parties are a bunch of crooks..and never ever do..

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-04, 11:30 AM   #6
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Do us all a favor and sit your ass at home Nov. 2nd.
Alright I will, since I've already requested an absentee ballot I can do my civic duty from my own home (actually a large percentage of Colorado voters do it that way). Think about this, Heathcliff: if you vote for one candidate and I vote for the other then we cancel each other out. What do you say, are you going to vote or are you going to let me have my way with the election?

Not that it matters anyway, you won't be voting on the same ballot as me since you don't live in my area. Local and state governments are more important in my daily life and have a more direct effect on my community, and these are my primary concerns in this election year. You should be as concerned about your own community, Heathcliff. In a democracy, voters and non-voters alike get exactly the government they deserve, so stop your whining and do something about it.
Old 14-08-04, 12:35 PM   #7
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
In a democracy, voters and non-voters alike get exactly the government they deserve, so stop your whining and do something about it.
What a load of crap. All the voters get is a very limited choice of people to run portions of the government; and those people invariably lie about their intentions to get elected so most voters get exactly what they don't want.

Non-voters are probably the smarter ones.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-04, 10:27 PM   #8
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed
All the voters get is a very limited choice of people to run portions of the government; and those people invariably lie about their intentions to get elected so most voters get exactly what they don't want.

Non-voters are probably the smarter ones.
If that's how it is where you live then maybe you should consider moving away. Get out of the city and find a nice town where normal everyday people run for public office; find people that won't lie to you and join their community. Or if that seems too drastic then there's always the possibility of running for office yourself. Hell, I'd vote for you. That or get someone you already know and trust to do it. Broaden the field a little bit if you think the selection is too narrow.

There are options available to you, albed, besides giving up and just letting things happen. This is the cycle I'm hoping to convince you to break. If the non-voters really are smarter then they're exactly the people we need to participate. In my opinion, a smart and yet apathetic person is not a wise person. A little wisdom would go a long way if people just applied it to matters of government. You can rant all you like on our little forum here in the backwoods of the internet, but you're not doing anyone any favors by witholding your opinions in the only place where people actually ask for them.
Old 15-08-04, 07:43 AM   #9
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Quote:
find people that won't lie to you and join their community
this would be a near impossible task...
not saying theres not people that dont lie
but to find a community of them?

i remember when i didnt vote for nearly 10 years..i was quite proud of the fact...
it was my right not to vote..if i chose

i am sure there are still plenty of people like that
i am also pretty sure you would find practicaly no right wingers amongst them..

i agree mazer ,you can say all you like about your political views..but the only time your views really affect the system is when you cast your vote

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-04, 07:22 PM   #10
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
There are options available to you, albed, besides giving up and just letting things happen. This is the cycle I'm hoping to convince you to break. If the non-voters really are smarter then they're exactly the people we need to participate. In my opinion, a smart and yet apathetic person is not a wise person. A little wisdom would go a long way if people just applied it to matters of government. You can rant all you like on our little forum here in the backwoods of the internet, but you're not doing anyone any favors by witholding your opinions in the only place where people actually ask for them.
Don't know what this is about, I voted in every election for 12 years and I've seen many candidates do the opposite of what they promised once in office. That's the cycle you should try to break and getting more voters out doesn't address it.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-04, 07:50 PM   #11
legion
I took both pills.

Quote:
you will know they're really in it to keep the women and niggers down.

Wow that word could cost you 90 days in jail here
Old 13-08-04, 11:33 PM   #12
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy boy
Wow that word could cost you 90 days in jail here
after what you guys pulled in the congo i can see why.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-04, 11:20 AM   #13
legion
I took both pills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts
after what you guys pulled in the congo i can see why.

- js.

HEHEHEHE that was Belgium Jack we were never in congo ..... nice try anyways. And now that you mention congo, I don't think the United States has a clean sheet when it comes to foreign policies
Old 14-08-04, 12:26 PM   #14
JackSpratts

thinking of your west africa/indies/new amsterdam slave trade. pick your empire, lol.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote