P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 26-02-02, 12:28 PM   #21
pod
Bumbling idiot

Yes, good to see everyone here!

WRT to the regulars chat, well, the room is still around, but if no one's in it, it will not show up on the channels list. Anyone can go there by typing "/join #regulars" after connecting to the chat server. The venerable "pod_away" fella was around just to keep the room listed and easily accessible.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 12:47 PM   #22
goldie
yea, it's me.

Big Laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by pod
Yes, good to see everyone here!

WRT to the regulars chat, well, the room is still around, but if no one's in it, it will not show up on the channels list. Anyone can go there by typing "/join #regulars" after connecting to the chat server. The venerable "pod_away" fella was around just to keep the room listed and easily accessible.
Pod, many of us have grown to LOVE pod_away!!

He was our ever present beacon of light, parting the waves of darkness caused by the evildoers and haters of the "light". Pod_away was our last hope of communication and served to lead us unto the path of righteous, wholesome communication.........................

NAPSTERITES

What you did (even if you were just placeholding, was greatly appreciated by many pod - including moi!!

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 01:29 PM   #23
fogelbise

hello to all,

long time listener, first time caller...

anyway, thought i would finally post something after much interesting reading here.

morpheus chat pop up window says:
"o Not download or Install the Morpheus "upgrade.":
:Technical difficulties will be resolved soon, thanks"

sounds like upgrade was to be released, but probs..??

hopefully unrelated: b4 going to bed, saw musiccity.com was down both via browser and via start page in morpheus. left morpheus on all night, got up, uploads going as usual but only handful of users shown online. close and restart computer and that is when all the trouble started: computer said updating config files or something like that which i had seen before after adding something, i.e. computer software or hardware. desktop comes up without my background image, don't know what else might have been altered or by what/virus? anyway it freezes and multiple boots also freeze after coming to the desktop. same in safe mode. eventually do "scanreg /restore" and fixes prob. anyway don't worry about trying to help me, just wanted to report the problem hoping it had nothing to do with the morpheus issues.

eventually connect at 6000 users, try again: 307 users and let it sit, morph automatically reconnected later to 650,000 or so users, but disconnected during download...now can't connect...

good luck to all

fogelbise
fogelbise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 01:46 PM   #24
goldie
yea, it's me.

Quote:
Originally posted by fogelbise
hello to all,

long time listener, first time caller...

anyway, thought i would finally post something after much interesting reading here.

morpheus chat pop up window says:
"o Not download or Install the Morpheus "upgrade.":
:Technical difficulties will be resolved soon, thanks"

sounds like upgrade was to be released, but probs..??

hopefully unrelated: b4 going to bed, saw musiccity.com was down both via browser and via start page in morpheus. left morpheus on all night, got up, uploads going as usual but only handful of users shown online. close and restart computer and that is when all the trouble started: computer said updating config files or something like that which i had seen before after adding something, i.e. computer software or hardware. desktop comes up without my background image, don't know what else might have been altered or by what/virus? anyway it freezes and multiple boots also freeze after coming to the desktop. same in safe mode. eventually do "scanreg /restore" and fixes prob. anyway don't worry about trying to help me, just wanted to report the problem hoping it had nothing to do with the morpheus issues.

eventually connect at 6000 users, try again: 307 users and let it sit, morph automatically reconnected later to 650,000 or so users, but disconnected during download...now can't connect...

good luck to all

fogelbise
~WELCOME~ Fogelbise!!!

I'm glad you joined us AND with a carefully detailed observation added too........hmmmmmm...........Me thinks you'll fit it just fine!!

Old 26-02-02, 02:51 PM   #25
Millencolin
Can you see me now? ....Good

I have also gotten this stupid message. I was downloading "Super Troopers" Part 2 on my 56k and it was only 3MB away from finishing and I woke my computer from sleepy time, and then it was fine till a few seconds after, Morpheus closed automatically. So i re-opened it and it said i needed to upgrade . So i went to musiccity.com and it was down, so then i asked around and other ppl could't get to the site.(not sure about connecting) I will be very pissed if i can't download the rest of it and have to start over. I need to get the new WinMx, my other version has been screwed up for quite some time now.
Millencolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 03:08 PM   #26
JackSpratts

Hi Fogelbise & Millencolin, welcome to NU and welcome to the Board

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 03:32 PM   #27
fogelbise

thanks for the greetings. i guess we just have to wait this one out. updates: keep getting disconnected, reconnected, latest is with 64,105 users...took about an hour to connect last time i manually tried to connect. auto reconnect seemed to work faster.

intersting tidbit: kazaa overtook morpheus in the weekly downloads stats at http://download.cnet.com i guess because it is the new thing...doesn't seem to have any advantages except that it might get around the current morpheus problem. noticed it beat out morpheus starting about a week or two ago by the way.

thinking about winmx, read mixed reviews here, do you really have to download opennap server lists manually and does anyone not get stuck in a que for ages on winmx? if i go winmx should i try the beta or stick with 2.6...sorry so many questions.

Last edited by fogelbise : 26-02-02 at 03:45 PM.
Old 26-02-02, 03:43 PM   #28
JackSpratts

snark can give you more details but 2.6 is que city, it's hard work getting your files. beta 5 works without opennaps but better with them.

i'd use beta 5. even w/out opennaps the multi sourcing means it's just plain better. yeah 2.6 has the tonage but if you're queued to death it doesn't make much difference.

- js.
Old 26-02-02, 03:55 PM   #29
fogelbise

thanks JackSpratts! multi-segmented or multi sourced(same thing i guess) downloads is definitely the future.
Old 26-02-02, 04:30 PM   #30
goldie
yea, it's me.

Njah Njah #MusicCity looks like...........

someone dropped one of those ant traps into an ant hill @650 paniced users all cussing, shouting, ranting and raving to hell and back.

Couldn't pay me a million bucks to moderate that chatroom LOL.

DO NOT INSTALL THE MORPHEUS UPDATE! seems to be the phrase-of-the-day.

Ummm..............I wonder does this sound like sabatoge? Perhaps someone or someones slipped a Mickie through the FastTrack network disguised as an Update? Do I smell the scent of dead fish in the neighborhood?

MORPHEUS IS EXPERIENCING TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES, says one chat moderator! NO UPDATE IS AVAILABLE. Uninstalling and reinstalling will not correct the problem.

So strange, so ill-timed don't ya think? Oh well............here's my stats:

Presently connected to Morpheus - 61,723 users sharing 8199K files (49130.0GB) PITIFUL numbers!!

That's my update - back to Winnie
Old 26-02-02, 04:47 PM   #31
JackSpratts

user stats are all over the place today. i've been on since 9am eastern. i got the "your version...to old to connect" warning some time around noon ( i wasn't in) but it keeps uploading files as usual. i've uploaded 53 so far today. here're my present stats: 548622 users online, sharing 61332K (427408.0 GB). that's normal enough. i downloaded a few songs too. they came in as per usual.

- js.
Old 26-02-02, 04:51 PM   #32
goldie
yea, it's me.

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
user stats are all over the place today. i've been on since 9am eastern. i got the "your version...to old to connect" warning some time around noon ( i wasn't in) but it keeps uploading files as usual. i've uploaded 53 so far today. here're my present stats: 548622 users online, sharing 61332K (427408.0 GB). that's normal enough. i downloaded a few songs too. they came in as per usual.

- js.
Maybe tomorrow things will be back to normal everywhere JS.

Still, I'd like to here an explanation on exactly what did happen.

Won't hold my breath LOL!
Old 26-02-02, 04:58 PM   #33
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Hey fogelbise, it's good to see that you are participating. For people who don't know fogelbise along with stoepsel, kermit help me on the Morpheus Info website.

Fogelbise about WinMx, the ques can be horribly long for large files. I like using it for music and sometimes other files, but I definitely don't use it for movies. As JS says multi-sourcing is the best way to go for large files. I can't wait until version 3.0 gets out of beta.

About this whole Morpheus problem, as GR eluded to, there might be more here then mets the eye. Even if this is all just a big screw up from the Morpheus crew, it has effectively stop a lot of people from using Morpheus. Of course, users can just flock to other programs but I'm sure more people now realize a decentralized network isn't immuned to sabatoge. Of course, it's way too early to start throwing around wild accusations.

I guess we are going to have to wait and see what develops from here. It could be that Morpheus has just screwed up big time. It wouldn't really surprise me if they did.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 05:02 PM   #34
Xman
It is well established that the RIAA, and only the RIAA, has the right to exploit artists.

No connection whatsoever here. Strangely random problem.
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 05:07 PM   #35
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by fogelbise

thinking about winmx, read mixed reviews here, do you really have to download opennap server lists manually and does anyone not get stuck in a que for ages on winmx? if i go winmx should i try the beta or stick with 2.6...sorry so many questions.
NapMX loads servers automatically.http://perso.wanadoo.fr/speedfire/napmx/whatis.html

The queues are long but you can try to get it from 2 people then cancel the one that took too long. Also go for the guy who has lots of open slots.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 05:09 PM   #36
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

Can't connect. I have NIS logging all activity at the morpheus port, it's trying 100's of supernodes with no success. They should add an option to add another peer cache server (or whatever they have). Start page won't load, but I think that might be my ad blocking.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 05:48 PM   #37
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
Originally posted by goldenrod
Passing you the fresh popcorn bag and a six pack of <insert beverage of *your* choice>. We'll all ride it out and see where it leads!

GR - Didn't we all sit around and watch the Morph Discussion with a favorite beverage in hand as well. I remember asking Jack to pass one over my way - lol

Forget any of what I was posting last night - I have been waiting hours to connect today... Others are able to d/l from me just fine - I been checking on the MusicCity Chat - the Mods are talking like they know what's going on but... I don't know.

What I don't get is why I don't ever get the "Client too old..." message? I just can't connect.
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 05:56 PM   #38
fogelbise

I too have not seen the "too old" message yet...

this has to be unrelated, but now i can't find any references to morpheus in the news section at zdnet.com..."p2p" yes, but articles relating to morpheus aren't showing up currently...maybe too many queries?? anyway...wierd sidenote.

someone may have mentioned this already(sorry my head is spinning) but the morph chat window is entitled "The upgrade is not available yet...Morpheus is experiencing technical..." that answers my question as to whether or not they were *trying* to release a new version, if reliable.

update: currently can't connect.

buzz: sorry about the bsod post that apparently jinxed you
Old 26-02-02, 06:13 PM   #39
JackSpratts

Full Moon! I knew it! Case closed! (As far as the Druids are concerned).

- js.
Old 26-02-02, 08:07 PM   #40
Mowzer
'

My morph is really messed up. lol

It connects, I use it, then it disconnetcs, then reconnects, and on and on.

Thak you sherman networks!
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote