P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 20-07-02, 04:32 PM   #21
alphabeater

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
couldn't run it. says i'm missing some dll.
that's what happens if you don't have the ms .net framework installed (it could give a more informative error, couldn't it?)... i just installed it, plus patch, and it's not that bad - nothing got messed up, nothing extra runs on startup or at random intervals. it seems to have done less damage than the sun java environment that i had to install to run limewire did...

overnet, however, i'm not so impressed with (but then i suppose i never liked edonkey2000, so i'm biased). the network itself is almost as good as fasttrack (even at this early stage) with the added bonus of the hash links allowing sites like sharereactor.

but the ui is horrible as ever.

incidentally, to block ads in overnet -

- go to its folder
- open the 1.html, 2.html and 3.html files in notepad
- delete everything from all three
- save
- set their file attributes to read-only in explorer

and that's that.

hashing times seem better than with edonkey. it hasn't crashed yet. i really want to like it.. but.. ick. maybe if someone does a decent skin i'll consider running overnet more.
alphabeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-02, 01:56 AM   #22
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

Quote:
Originally posted by alphabeater
[MS.NET] seems to have done less damage than the sun java environment that i had to install to run limewire did...
Alphabeater,
could you be a bit more specific about what damage the sun java environment did to your computer?
I don't find it intrusive at all and never had anything bad happen while I installed it.

Thanks,
Stoepsel
Old 21-07-02, 02:51 PM   #23
alphabeater

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoepsel
could you be a bit more specific about what damage the sun java environment did to your computer?
well perhaps 'damage' is an exaggeration, but it replaced the microsoft browser java vm with its own, which i found intrusive. this made anything java-based load far more slowly within the browser and placed a coffee cup icon in the system tray until i closed all ie windows (a friend of mine didn't make the connection between the sun jvm and this icon and was quite annoyed).

if anyone's got this and is wondering how to stop it, go to control panel, choose java plug-in <version> and put a check in 'do not start console'.

limewire also seems to have a tendency to reinstall a slightly different version of the jvm on each upgrade, which eats hard disk space and makes thing's look messy, although this isn't really sun's fault.

overall i found .net to be more agreeable from a user's point-of-view.
Old 21-07-02, 04:47 PM   #24
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by alphabeater

well perhaps 'damage' is an exaggeration, but it replaced the microsoft browser java vm with its own, which i found intrusive. this made anything java-based load far more slowly within the browser and placed a coffee cup icon in the system tray until i closed all ie windows (a friend of mine didn't make the connection between the sun jvm and this icon and was quite annoyed).

if anyone's got this and is wondering how to stop it, go to control panel, choose java plug-in <version> and put a check in 'do not start console'.

limewire also seems to have a tendency to reinstall a slightly different version of the jvm on each upgrade, which eats hard disk space and makes thing's look messy, although this isn't really sun's fault.

overall i found .net to be more agreeable from a user's point-of-view.

It might be better to let Microsoft's java machine handle all the java duties within your browsers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	1182
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	2130  
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-02, 04:54 PM   #25
alphabeater

Quote:
Originally posted by napho
It might be better to let Microsoft's java machine handle all the java duties within your browsers.
if that was the default, then i wouldn't disapprove of the option... however, many people probably don't realise that when they install limewire and it installs the sun jvm that this could affect their web browser's settings. yeah, it can be undone easily, but only if you realise that it happened in the first place.
Old 21-07-02, 08:31 PM   #26
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Thumbs up Help needed

I must confess that java is one of those things which knowledge eludes me, so I hope someone here can help with a couple of doubts I have about it.

When I installed LimeWire 1.6 Sun's java plug-in 1.3.1 got installed, and the menu in control panel DOESN'T have a browser option, so I'm not sure which JM is driving anything java in IE.
Anyone have any idea why it's so?

My Add/Remove programs shows a Java Runtime Enviroment 1.1 that I suppose is MS's, and it's long overdue for an update.

So my second question is: Any chance of conflict between Sun & MS VM's, and there is anything to gain by updating either Sun's to 1.4 or MS's I believe 1.2 ?

I'm using win 98SE so you have a reference point.

Thanks in advance.

spstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-02, 01:58 PM   #27
napho
Dawn's private genie

Just search for msjava.dll and check the properties for the version you have. The latest is 3805 which has lots of security updates. That 1.1 sounds like an old Sun JRE that isn't necessary.
Also in the IE tools/options/advanced there are some options for the Microsoft JM.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-02, 10:37 PM   #28
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Very Angry Beware of the evil VMs

Napho: Thanks for the advice.

However, a strong word of CAUTION:

If you go to Internet Options - Advanced and check the JIT Compiler option which is the only one close enough to making MS's VM the default for IE, it could be hell on earth system wide.

In my case, after the mandatory reboot Windows would not start four times in a row. I went twice to safe mode, and after finally booting to Win, IExplore would not load, creating a system lock, and generating an error log showing almost any file of the MS's VM as part of the problem.

I used GoBack to set the system 15 secs previous to the change, and as always GB saved my life again.

All quiet in the western front, now.

I don't know what was the problem, and I'm not planning to tackle it in the near future.

I was trying to better a "perceived" slowdown in the surfing of Napsterites, with a strong emphasis in "perceived".

Bad idea.

Had I not had GoBack it would have been a loooonng day ahead of me.

So if anyone have both VM installed be verrry, veeeerrrrry careful how you go about making changes.

Somehow I'm left with the impression that we, the users, are the pawns (again) in the java war between MS & Sun.

spstn is offline   Reply With Quote