P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 19-04-02, 10:20 AM   #1
fogelbise

Default Advanced? Auto-retry in WinMX

Hello everyone,

I got a message while in queue something to the effect:

"You are next in line, i don't recomend using auto-retry"

i left it alone, and sure enuf the download started, but can anyone explain? Does using auto retry when you are already in the queue do anything more than just try again in case the user goes offline or something goes wrong with the reconnect?
fogelbise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-02, 03:55 PM   #2
JackSpratts

i think your host was just being a dick.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-02, 04:58 PM   #3
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Dickhead? maybe not!

This could just be someone giving good advice especially if the downloader was using or had experience with WinMx 3.00 as there is an issue with this over compatibility protocol wise with AudioGnome, Macnap and Lopster, to quote three different platform client.

Using Auto-retry produces some really unreliable resultsas does trying the join the queue to a "Queueable" responce.

Each time you use this feature you are returned to the server to negotiate again the connection, all to often the next response is timed out, it seems to get a response from the distant end in as much as the BUSY QUEUABLE response returns but you never get actually connected into the distant queue.

Sorry if this is not very clear but my idea of what is happening is in itself not clear, all I have discovered is that once you get busy queueable if you set auto-retry and leave it, provided the server is still there when your turn comes around you will eventually get the waiting for incoming conection and with luck an eventual connection.

I feel the protocol is wrong hereand that both OpenNap and SlavaNap have gone so far away from the sensible standards laid down in the original specification, that performance and user friendlyness are being rapidly eroded.

It will not be the RIAA or your ISP that destroy P2P but the users themselves giving up in disgust at the frustration of seeing all the goodies and not being able sensibly to get them .

My proposals outline a change of protocol where once a busy queue status is established the temporary connection to the distant user should be retained for a period to allow an automated "join queue" response to take place, how this will be achgeived I have as yet no idea, but it must be the way forward if P2P and OPennap are to survive, or it will be all WPNP/ WNP and Fastrack/Sharman networks only keeping users online.

Snark.
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-02, 05:13 PM   #4
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

In my experience auto-retry is most useful when doing agreed-on transfers between friends both using WinMX on some OpenNap network. In such situations, if one of the parties drops offline WinMX can successfully auto-reconnect to the network and re-request the queued files.

However, I would advise against applying auto-retry to a heap of files remotely queued from strangers. Should anything go wrong with the queuing - as often happens - the other peer will be bombarded with repeatedly failing file requests that will fill their transfer windows and tempt them to put you on their ignore list - especially if you are not there to respond to their possible messages. The comment you received fogelbise is probably a friendly warning about this problem.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-02, 05:21 PM   #5
HAL9000

I sent similar message once.

I set max upload per user to "1", uploader set second one in auto-retry for probably not getting in remote queue. When the first download finished, second one maybe in countdown state, not initiating immediate download request. Available upload slot created by completion of first download will be taken by someone.

If second one is in local queue, MX requests download right after first one, most likely new slot will be given to second download.

hmmm.. was it you?
HAL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-02, 06:11 PM   #6
JackSpratts

hmmn. dicky or wussy? mebbe both...

i'll say this much; if i don't do auto-retry i time out. it's axiomatic. with winmx of course, as snark alluded, there're no download gaurantees even if i do click on auto-retry. it's just that if i don't i almost never commence the d/l.

i've been using winmx for over a year and i've never sent anyone such a message. it's just too wussy.

- js.
Old 20-04-02, 01:10 AM   #7
nanook
just one of the gang...

since were on the topic.
could someone answer me this.
if i am in a queue and it says i'm, say, 2nd in queue, how come a couple of minutes later, i'm like 3rd in queue?
i was there second, damn it!
does this have something to do with the queuing in the right-click, where a user can pick and choose who they want where, in the line-up?

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-02, 01:41 AM   #8
HAL9000

Reported queue number you are seeing is Total numbers of queue. You are still 2nd, someone made remote queue(s) after you. more about WinMX
HAL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-02, 06:45 AM   #9
czechbohunk

Brows To NaNook

Personally, NaNook, I believe most of it has to do with whether or not you have a file "they" want.

czechbohunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-02, 06:55 AM   #10
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by HAL9000
Reported queue number you are seeing is Total numbers of queue. You are still 2nd, someone made remote queue(s) after you. more about WinMX

good link buzz!

- js.
Old 20-04-02, 11:00 AM   #11
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Erm, maybe so..

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts

good link buzz!

- js.
Maybe you mean HAL9000 ? but nevermind I've been posting that link to all the flooders that queue up 20 or so file, with a suggestion to read paragraph 17-18 for ages, never get many comments but they do seem to queue politely after a few Im's with that URL in.

Never been known for being subtle, but it works,,

Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-02, 12:20 PM   #12
JackSpratts

yep, i meant HAL9000.

- js.
Old 20-04-02, 08:08 PM   #13
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts

good link buzz!

- js.
Quite right Jack... (I guess you were telling me to read that?)
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-02, 08:36 PM   #14
JackSpratts

not at all. the earthquake rattled my coconut.

- js.
Old 24-04-02, 04:43 PM   #15
nanook
just one of the gang...

thanks Hal..........that is a great link!
but u explained it fine i understand most of the other stuff....i am a diehard WINMX user.

Quote:
Personally, NaNook, I believe most of it has to do with whether or not you have a file "they" want.
czechbohunk...lol!

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote