P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 19-04-02, 04:23 AM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

GrinYes Rejoice everyone - Cydoor isn't spyware

According to some experts...and iMesh.

http://www.slyck.com/newsapr2002/041802b.html
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-02, 04:39 AM   #2
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Default Re: Rejoice everyone - Cydoor isn't spyware

Quote:
Originally posted by napho
According to some experts...and iMesh.

http://www.slyck.com/newsapr2002/041802b.html
About time they came clean about it, still does not absolve them totally, and nor will it others that install intrusive software without the permission of the user.

I think the watchword is still NO, not for me, I wish to have a clean system at all times, only software that I intend to load to be loaded and then ALL the long complex (why the hell do they have to be written in gobble de gook?) licence agreements read right through before pressing the continue button.

Seems a degree in LAW is needed today to install software?

Snark...
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-02, 06:28 AM   #3
JackSpratts

"In our test installation, Cydoor's CD_CLINT.DLL downloaded executable code to the test system [log]. While the code (a Visual C++ library, ATL.DLL) was not malicious, the program's ability to silently load executable code presents a potential security vulnerability to the user.

The current version appears to respect the user's privacy and informed consent. Therefore, we consider this version most accurately categorized as "Adware".

Older versions could more accurately be considered "Spyware". - cexx.org

and newer versions may again in the future, perhaps when the heat cools. in any event the ringing endorsment right now has the shaky qualifier "appears", muffling this bell too much for me.

thanks but no thanks, i'll pass.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-02, 06:37 AM   #4
colinmacc

Default This is STILL concerning me!

"In our test installation, Cydoor's CD_CLINT.DLL downloaded executable code to the test system [log]. While the code (a Visual C++ library, ATL.DLL) was not malicious, the program's ability to silently load executable code presents a potential security vulnerability to the user. "

OK, big deal, so you're not spying anymore, but what the hell do you think you are doing by downloading executables to my PC without my express permission? Even if their code is harmless, what if someone hacks in to the adserver and sends us all a virus or a Trojan Horse?

My response is still, "Cydoor? No thanks, PISS OFF!"
colinmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-02, 03:35 PM   #5
Scyth

Default Re: This is STILL concerning me!

Quote:
Originally posted by colinmacc
OK, big deal, so you're not spying anymore, but what the hell do you think you are doing by downloading executables to my PC without my express permission? Even if their code is harmless, what if someone hacks in to the adserver and sends us all a virus or a Trojan Horse?
Did you ever run Napster? Napster could do this.

It seems strange to me that people have problems with what third-party components can do but never think that the actual software they're using could be insecure.

The same goes for all these complaints about what third-party components are capable of doing. Sure cydoor could be spying on you. It could also be deleting files from your harddrive. It could really be doing anything. But then again, so could the programs that this third-party components come bundled with.

I wonder when some developer is going to realize that they can avoid much of this spyware talk simply by statically linking third-party components (integrating them into the executable instead of linking to DLLs).
Scyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-02, 04:10 PM   #6
JackSpratts

it's one thing taking a chance with software you want and use regularly. it's a different matter taking chances with stuff you don't want and may not even be aware you have.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote