P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 14-04-02, 01:17 AM   #1
petriburg

Default eDonkey, Spyware, and AdAware update

This appears to be getting out of hand, this spyware thing. This afternoon (in good old Antipodean time), I was running eDonkey (only), and decided to do a quick check with AdAware.
First run, I found four Cydoor entries in register: default\software\cydoor, default\software\cydoor services, software\cydoor & software\cydoor services. (Also present is the cd_clint.dll in case I need it - the "fake" one, that is).
Then I closed eDonkey, re-booted my computer, and re-connected to the Donkey. This time, up came all the above cydoor crap, plus C\Windows\System\Ad Cache, C\Windows\System\Cd_htm.dll, and an extra software\cydoor.
No chance these could have come from anywhere but the Donkey, since it was the one and only program running. I did an AdAware check on my ISP connection with nothing online, just to see if they were pulling a swifty - no way.
So then I tried to update my AdAware reflist. I initiated refupdate, and it went through the motions of downloading a new reflist dated 4/14, but it wouldn't install (should be automatic), but rebooting still did not bring it into play. Checked on the various download sites, but couldn't get a newer file than 103 - 04.07.2002.
I have the IP number to which I was connected on the Donkey, but being unsure of the protocol, I will not publish it in open forum unless asked to do so.
But what to do about these cydoor entries? I cancel them with AdAware, but as fast as I do that, they re-load.
Is nothing free of pollution these days?
(edit)
It occurs to me as I read this that the only other source of the cydoor references would be if somebody is accessing my computer through the same port as that to which the Donkey is connected - wouldn't that be a worry?

"You are old, father William," the young man said,
"And you hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on you head -
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"
Lewis Carroll.
petriburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-02, 04:04 AM   #2
napho
Dawn's private genie

They give you the choice of the regular Donkey with the small ad banner and the cydoor version. I have the regular one.

Cydoor
2.18.02 -There are now two versions of the latest Windows client on the download page. One serves the banners using the Cydoor ad-network. I know they have gotten a lot of bad press and accusations of being spyware, but as far as I can tell they aren't. They collect no personal information all they do is serve up the banner at the top of the donkey. If anyone determines that this is not true please let us know and we will remove them immediately.

The reason we choose to use them is that we are making virtually no money from our previous banner system. Anyway we left the non-cydoor version up there for those of you that are really bothered by them. But if you are not please use the Cydoor version.

eDonkey2000 normal (no Cydoor)
Windows

http://www.edonkey2000.com/files/eDonkey60.exe
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-02, 04:54 AM   #3
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Arrow from the edonkey2000 homepage

Cydoor
2.18.02 -There are now two versions of the latest Windows client on the download page. One serves the banners using the Cydoor ad-network. I know they have gotten a lot of bad press and accusations of being spyware, but as far as I can tell they aren't. They collect no personal information all they do is serve up the banner at the top of the donkey. If anyone determines that this is not true please let us know and we will remove them immediately.

The reason we choose to use them is that we are making virtually no money from our previous banner system. Anyway we left the non-cydoor version up there for those of you that are really bothered by them. But if you are not please use the Cydoor version.

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-02, 05:58 AM   #4
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

They give you the choice of the regular Donkey with the small ad banner and the cydoor version. I have the regular one.

eDonkey2000 normal (no Cydoor)
Windows

http://www.edonkey2000.com/files/eDonkey60.exe
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-02, 06:49 AM   #5
daddydirt
even the losers

sorry Napho but there's nothing left to repeat from your post
daddydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-02, 07:43 AM   #6
dead_frog
Oddball

repeat from your post

dead_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-02, 04:30 PM   #7
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

your post

BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-02, 05:14 PM   #8
VWguy
Japanamation junkie

Ref File 106.14.04.2002 is now available.

http://www.lsfileserv.com/downloads.html

If you can't get it frome that server...it goes down... go here

Oh yes, "post"

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. -Robin Williams

Your future in a nutshell.

Last edited by VWguy : 14-04-02 at 08:29 PM.
VWguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-02, 07:06 PM   #9
JackSpratts

petri - d/l a new dummy cd_clint.dll, put it on your destop and re label it mmcd.dll. d/l a new ad-aware sig file and drop the sig file into your c | program files | lavasoft folder by hand.

log off the net and run ad-aware again. let it remove everything it finds. if you configured it to avoid removing the dummy cd_clint.dll file from your system folder then note its' size, re label it cd_clint.bak, take it out and delete it manually. empty your recycle bin.

re label the mmcd.dll file cd_clint.dll and put it into c | windows | system. start grokster and d/l a file. do not close any pop-ups by hand but ctrl alt delete them off. when your d/l finishes close grokster.

run ad-aware and see if you reloaded any cydoor products. make sure you don't delete the new dummy cd_clint.dll

re launch edonkey and d/l a file. again do not close any pop-ups by hand. repeat ad-aware scan.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-02, 12:13 AM   #10
petriburg

Thanks, all of you, for the prompt and useful help notes - I'm sorry I'm so late in posting a "thank you", but yesterday's radiotherapy ran on a bit late, so I didn't even crank up my computer when I finally reached home!
So now my AdAware is up-to-date with the latest ref file, and I'm still mentally debating whether to remain with the cydoor version of eDonkey, or incorporate one of the options. I think another couple of days' evaluation might be the best course, and then decide which version to use should I decide to retain the services of the Donkey.
Meanwhile, once again, thanks fellas!

"You are old, father William," the young man said,
"And you hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on you head -
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"
Lewis Carroll.
petriburg is offline   Reply With Quote