P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 05-04-02, 06:47 AM   #1
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Arrow WinMX 3.0 beta 6 available

For those of you interested in 3.0 beta testing, it is available from here.

Known Issues

The current beta version has the following known issues which we are working to correct:

- all links to web site are currently under construction

- problems maximizing windows, Hotlist needs to have "always on top"

- rare multi-sourced download segment loss and locking

- occasionally searches and channel list requests fail for a few minutes

- channel redirects produce unpredicatable results if a non-host user is already in destination channel

- default search type custom setting off by one

Many large sections of code were re-written for beta 6. This means that many of the minor issues from previous betas should be resolved, however there may be new issues that have been introduced. If you have reported a problem with any of the previous betas and it is in beta 6, please send us a quick email from the same address you reported the problem from the first time with a note mentioning that the problem still exists. This will help us quickly trace down any remaining problems.

Note that multisourced downloads are only possible through the WinMX Peer Network, and not OpenNap servers. Also, the new version is not compatible with the current v2.6, and while beta testing, the new network is much smaller than upon full release.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-02, 07:29 AM   #2
JackSpratts

Thanks TG!

Note that multisourced downloads are only possible through the WinMX Peer Network, and not OpenNap servers. Do wish that would change...

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-02, 07:50 AM   #3
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts

Note that multisourced downloads are only possible through the WinMX Peer Network, and not OpenNap servers. Do wish that would change...

- js.

Mutisource is possible through opennap but very difficult do to the nature of the networks. On a set of linked servers it should be rather easy to do because the servers communicate. Opennap servers that are not linked don't communicate with each other making it very difficult to multisource. Either the client or server would need to send a command to the other user/client in order to initiate multisource.
Seeing how WinMX PNP and opennap do not communicate as with other clients not able to communicate with the PNP make multisource very difficult. Not impossible just very difficult and it would take a large scale joint effort by alot of programmers to make this happen
AweShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-02, 08:24 AM   #4
ONEMANBANNED
Push "winky" ! Push!!!

Question

I now have 2.6 and this new one . Do I have to add the the servers? I was waiting for it to connect to servers but noticed 0 servers. Can someone pm my the list of our private opennap servers so i can add them to the new version? I have 2 I think already
ONEMANBANNED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-02, 09:29 AM   #5
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows OpenNap servers on winMx 3.00 Beta 6

The log awaited WSX file support is now functional in winMx 3.0
to get your servers, just go online with Beta 6 select servers and click the box FIND WSX, this will preconfigure your search option to seek anyones PUBLIC.WSX file.

There are a number of WSX files out there, the original about 8000 bytes is a but unreliable as a lot of the entries are now dead, you need to look for PUBLIC-GOOD.WSX or PUBLIC-NON-FUSSY.WSX or even PUBLIC050402.WSX as these have updated selections that actually WORK...

When you find your WSX file, use the IMPORT WSX function
then highlite all and click connect, after a while you will find some operational servers, some that have failed, some that have rejected you, and even some that have told you your client in uncool?

Weed out the rubbish servers, and when you have a good list of reliable ones, Export your WSX to your download folder or a shared folder, so we can all enjoy.

finally do NOT forget to allow .WSX files to be shared (Shared files screen) Shared file Types.

Good luck... Snark.
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-02, 09:41 AM   #6
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows WArning about deleting servers

This was intended to go in the previous post, but system flipped and closed it?

When you delete unwanted or useless servers or server entries, take care, the right click /Remove option is a bit sudden, and a fumble will delete the wanted server and a few others as well.

due to the positioning of the action buttons, and the lack of any secondary confirmation, unless you click CANCEL you will kill a lot
more than you intend, especially if you want to delete a block of servers and have block highlited them.

Been there, done it, cursed, but fortunately kept a copy of the WSX file, so easy to re-load (more than once I might add).

Mind you its real cool for deleting the lot, if thats your bag? and judging by evrer increasing quantity of FUSSY SERVERS, you could well want to, then WinMx have scored a brilliant anti-frustration move...

Oh and finally, since WinMx seems to be the MOST HATED client, don't forget to alter the client type to something like audioGnome of some other "In Tool" Napigator seems to be accepted by most servers .

Of course the Napsterites servers are not a bit fussy, as they are there to serve NOT HINDER..

Snark..
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-02, 11:45 AM   #7
pod
Bumbling idiot

Quote:
Originally posted by AweShucks
Mutisource is possible through opennap but very difficult do to the nature of the networks. On a set of linked servers it should be rather easy to do because the servers communicate. Opennap servers that are not linked don't communicate with each other making it very difficult to multisource. Either the client or server would need to send a command to the other user/client in order to initiate multisource.
The problem doesn't really have anything to do with how servers comminucate with clients or how clients talk to each other.

OpenNAP allows you do initiate many diwnloads at the same time. That's not a problem.

OpenNAP allows you to initiate many downloads for the same file from different sources at the same time.

OpenNAP allows you to resume a file from any source. That's not a problem either.

As someone noticed earlier, when a multisourcing OpenNAP client came out, the trick may be to request multiple file resumes (so other clients understand it), and break the download when a certain point is reached, so the blocks don't overlap. Voila, you have multisourcing in OpenNAP.

I think the problem is being able to tell whether two files on different clients are really the same file.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-02, 11:55 AM   #8
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

I'm sharing a small list of ones that are working for me. Public-working.wsx
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-02, 02:01 PM   #9
napho
Dawn's private genie

I found that only ShadowNet rejected WinMX and said AudioGnome was cool. I changed my name and reported my client as AudioGnome1.6 and got on immediately.Quite a few servers require registration.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-02, 03:10 PM   #10
pod
Bumbling idiot

Quote:
Originally posted by napho
Quite a few servers require registration.
Check 'register username on next login'. Or is that not sufficient?
Old 05-04-02, 03:42 PM   #11
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Quote:
Originally posted by pod

The problem doesn't really have anything to do with how servers comminucate with clients or how clients talk to each other.

As someone noticed earlier, when a multisourcing OpenNAP client came out, the trick may be to request multiple file resumes (so other clients understand it), and break the download when a certain point is reached, so the blocks don't overlap. Voila, you have multisourcing in OpenNAP.

I think the problem is being able to tell whether two files on different clients are really the same file.

Either way you look at it more opennap clients need to support mulisource before it could happen. If it was that easy it would have been done on mass scale already. The clients have to communicate properly inorder for it to work this would mean adding several commands not to just the client but most likely the server as well.
Alot of clients use different decoders for reporting bitrates. But in the end the file size is still the same and the clients compare files for resume even if a different bitrate is reported. Makes me think that is not the problem.
Old 05-04-02, 04:41 PM   #12
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

Quote:
Either way you look at it more opennap clients need to support mulisource before it could happen. If it was that easy it would have been done on mass scale already. The clients have to communicate properly inorder for it to work this would mean adding several commands not to just the client but most likely the server as well.
Alot of clients use different decoders for reporting bitrates. But in the end the file size is still the same and the clients compare files for resume even if a different bitrate is reported. Makes me think that is not the problem.
Well, the only clean way to go forward with multi-sourced OpenNap downloads IMHO is to extend the protocol to include messages necessary for doing multi-sourcing, e.g. messages that allow clients to request chunks of files and so on.
Then programs can be written to use these new features of the protocol to cleanly implement multi-sourcing. Every other approach is bound to fail.

Stoepsel
Old 06-04-02, 01:24 AM   #13
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoepsel

Well, the only clean way to go forward with multi-sourced OpenNap downloads IMHO is to extend the protocol to include messages necessary for doing multi-sourcing, e.g. messages that allow clients to request chunks of files and so on.
Then programs can be written to use these new features of the protocol to cleanly implement multi-sourcing. Every other approach is bound to fail.

Stoepsel
I Agree with that but I still wonder if it would be extendable outside that server or group of linked servers?? Curious to see if and when it will be done? And how good the outcome will be?
Old 06-04-02, 06:53 PM   #14
pod
Bumbling idiot

Quote:
I Agree with that but I still wonder if it would be extendable outside that server or group of linked servers?? Curious to see if and when it will be done? And how good the outcome will be?
If you connect to multiple networks it's certainly extendable
Old 06-04-02, 09:15 PM   #15
HAL9000

I don’t think implementing multi-sourcing on OpenNap is difficult…

On server side, already has a partial download command as "resume" and stores MD5 as a file identifier "signature".
Add straight MD5 search. This will help finding exact matching files. WinMX's "Find Alternate..." is search by file name and filtered by MD5. Matching is done at client side, MX will not find the exact file with wrong name.

On client side, current MD5 hash is first 300k of file, IMHO that’s not enough for "Trusted" multi-sourcing. Full hash is ideal but takes long time to prepare share list, maybe small chunk at beginning of each quarters?. And "Upload termination delay" will allow uploading client to request second part within file without losing uploading slot. Ex: client 'A' started downloading a 1000k file from user 'B' at 0, user 'C' at 500k, 500K~1000k is finished while download from user 'B' still at 100k, then client 'A' requests user 'C' the file from 250k. without termination delay, user 'C' sees second request "new", may send to the end of queue.

no?
HAL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-02, 10:53 PM   #16
thinker
Ex-Singular

The .wsx files are easy as hell to get. Go to http://napmx.darkservers.com and download NapMX 1.11 . It gives you a list that you can turn into a .wsx file and save anywhere on your system. After saving the file just drag and drop into the desktop shortcut to WinMX either while minimized or before you start WinMX (dropping the list in will automatically start WinMX, as you know). NapMX .wsx files have two great advantages over those created using current versions (~2.02+) of Napigator - the hostname is the primary way to access servers, not IPs; this makes NapMX .wsx files more reliable and you don't have to update them as often. Also, NapMX .wsx files go into the high capacity category, so no connecting one at a time or moving networks from low-cap to high-cap, which take forever. Since I got NapMX (Viva Boob), I've stayed on around 30 servers constantly with close to an exabyte available through OpenNaps.
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote